Standground lock

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

Just reading up on a possible trip to the middle level and it quotes 2'3" maximum draught at Standground for boats over 36'. That rules it out for me but as the lock is 80' long how does this work? Another source says you need to be careful with positioning the boat in the lock. Middle level quotes 3' generally. Anyone point me to some more detailed information?

Assuming the long standing lock keeper is still there then I would phone her and have a chat, she knows her stuff, knows the lock and middle level, and has ways of getting deeper boats through.

I think I remeber that some boats have to go down backwards but she got us through forwards with no problems.

Stanground lock (along with Ashline and Marmont Priory) was extended from around 40 ft to over 70 ft some years ago. The problem at Stanground is that the old part of the lock is quite shallow, but the extension is much deeper. 

The first time Fulbourne went through the stern grounded, the crew managed to move the boat just enough forwards to stop the bottom gates closing then grounded solidly! Much fun ensued lifting and dropping the top paddles to allow the boat to be pulled back enough to shut the bottom gates and refill the lock. Went through again backwards - plenty of room to wind above the lock. No problem with the stern in the newer deeper part of the lock. Can't wind below the lock so its then reversing for a mile along Kings Dyke to a point where you can turn.  And of course coming back the other way from the Middle Level to the Nene is no problem.

Fulbourne has since done the trip 3 times in (if my memory is correct) 2001, 2007 and 2018. Backwards every time through Stanground going down.

Draft has not been a problem on those bits of the Middle Level Fulbourne has traversed. But one or two bridges are very tight on headroom.

Salters Lode lock has not been extended, so boats longer than the lock have to go through when the tide makes a level. It didn't when we were on the way to the St Ives National in 2007, but that's another story...

Edited by David Mack

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Stanground lock ...  was extended from around 40 ft to over 70 ft.... the old part of the lock is quite shallow, but the extension is much deeper. 

The first time Fulbourne went through the stern grounded, the crew managed to move the boat just enough forwards to stop the bottom gates closing then grounded solidly! Much fun ensued lifting and dropping the top paddles to allow the boat to be pulled back enough to shut the bottom gates and refill the lock. Went through again backwards - plenty of room to wind above the lock. No problem with the stern in the newer deeper part of the lock. Can't wind below the lock so it's then reversing for a mile along Kings Dyke to a point where you can turn.  ... Fulbourne has since done the trip 3 times in (if my memory is correct) 2001, 2007 and 2018. Backwards .... through Stanground going down.

... every time except 2018

spacer.png

"Stanground Lock  A downstream extension was constructed to this lock in 1989/1990 with a formal opening ceremony taking place on 9 July 1990."

Here we are in 2018, having gone through Stanground forwards, with lots-of-water in the Level. It was slightly disappointing not to have needed to turn here after about a mile:

spacer.png

spacer.png

As others have said, it;s just the end of the lock farthest from the river which is deep, so going down from the river to the ML with a deep boat can be a problem. The soliution is to put the boat in backwards, so the deep stern is over the deep bit of the lock as it descends.  You can turn a full length boat in the Nene before the lock, and up to 60' below the lock. Longer than that is a mile reversing to the next winding hole. It's worth explaining the situation to Tina the lock keeper when you book. She has in the past run water down into King's Dyke in advance for us to get enough depth to avoid having to reverse.

MP.

48 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

As others have said, it;s just the end of the lock farthest from the river which is deep, so going down from the river to the ML with a deep boat can be a problem. The soliution is to put the boat in backwards, so the deep stern is over the deep bit of the lock as it descends.  You can turn a full length boat in the Nene before the lock, and up to 60' below the lock. Longer than that is a mile reversing to the next winding hole. It's worth explaining the situation to Tina the lock keeper when you book. She has in the past run water down into King's Dyke in advance for us to get enough depth to avoid having to reverse.

MP.

I don't think she's really supposed to do that which is why I suggested a phone to her call rather than putting it on the forum 😀

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

I don't think she's really supposed to do that which is why I suggested a phone to her call rather than putting it on the forum 😀

The amount of water to be passed through the lock each day comes from on-high, but when it's run through is not specified 🙂  The bywash at Ashline lock is an actively controlled sluice rather than a weir these days, so that may fight attempts to increase the level.

MP.