Aqualine Canterbury - advice please from you kind people!

Patrick Wyatt

Featured Posts

Hello All,
I am pretty much intent of buying a new 62 x 12 Aqualine Canterbury S to live on in Brentford. I'd hope to have it on the Thames and K & A  for 2 - 3 months of the year. Does anyone know if it would fit under the Osney and Godstow bridges please?
It'll be a steep learning process for me. I have some cruising experience, but not in a boat this size.  I'm 80 % excited and 20% nervous, so would really appreciate any advice, such as:
Can you work the locks by yourself safely and efficiently? I don't want to be in the news for the wrong reasons!
Some of the extras on NewandUsed boat company seem very expensive, such as £1140 for an Indesit washer/dryer, 
Is the standard loo a cassette or pump-out? i think I'd prefer the pump-out and swallow the cost, rather than the smell of the cassette!
Are there any extras you think are well worth going for, such as extra waste toilet tank, skylight, paint and blacking upgrade?...and anything to avoid....
Also are there any items you'd recommend someone else fitting instead?
How many solar panels...and what of the solar dump system to heat your water from 'excess' sunlight once your batteries are charged?

So many questions, though I promise a bottle of Chateau Fabulous for anyone who answers when we meet on the waterways! 
Fingers crossed and thanks in advance!
Paddy Wyatt

3 minutes ago, Patrick Wyatt said:

Hello All,
I am pretty much intent of buying a new 62 x 12 Aqualine Canterbury S to live on in Brentford. I'd hope to have it on the Thames and K & A  for 2 - 3 months of the year. Does anyone know if it would fit under the Osney and Godstow bridges please?
It'll be a steep learning process for me. I have some cruising experience, but not in a boat this size.  I'm 80 % excited and 20% nervous, so would really appreciate any advice, such as:
Can you work the locks by yourself safely and efficiently? I don't want to be in the news for the wrong reasons!
Some of the extras on NewandUsed boat company seem very expensive, such as £1140 for an Indesit washer/dryer, 
Is the standard loo a cassette or pump-out? i think I'd prefer the pump-out and swallow the cost, rather than the smell of the cassette!
Are there any extras you think are well worth going for, such as extra waste toilet tank, skylight, paint and blacking upgrade?...and anything to avoid....
Also are there any items you'd recommend someone else fitting instead?
How many solar panels...and what of the solar dump system to heat your water from 'excess' sunlight once your batteries are charged?

So many questions, though I promise a bottle of Chateau Fabulous for anyone who answers when we meet on the waterways! 
Fingers crossed and thanks in advance!
Paddy Wyatt

The std. loo on those is a pumpout.

Somebody else will answer your other questions.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Wyatt said:

I'd suggest the biggest stumbling block, which must be overcome before even considering buying a boat is "where are you going to moor it and how are you going to use it", and, at that size you are VERY VERY limited.

If you intend to CC, are you completely aware of what that means, and what it entails you to do ?

Again, not something you can easily do with a boat that size.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you intend to CC, are you completely aware of what that means, and what it entails you to do ?

Especially not boating solo,as everything takes twice as long as with a crew member.

I can't really see why anyone solo needs a widebeam. A narrowboat is far superior in every way for a solo CC liveaboard, IMHO. 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest the biggest stumbling block, which must be overcome before even considering buying a boat is "where are you going to moor it

The O.P. did say "to live on in Brentford", so I infer that he has a mooring awaiting him there.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest the biggest stumbling block, which must be overcome before even considering buying a boat is "where are you going to moor it and how are you going to use it", and, at that size you are VERY VERY limited.

Wow Alan, thanks for your quick response. The plan (and we know what happens to those) is to have a permanent mooring at Brentford Lock from which I could cruise from. Having spoken to the Harbourmaster, I could buy a boat ( and therefore the mooring) and then part-ex with the boat builder who buy and sell used boats. Much depends on the boat of course. I am aware of the restrictions that come from a widebeam but feel there is enough to discover in the south of  England to keep me in bliss. 

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Especially not boating solo,as everything takes twice as long as with a crew member.

I can't really see why anyone solo needs a widebeam. A narrowboat is far superior in every way for a solo CC liveaboard, IMHO. 

Well, as it would be moored most of the time, I'd like it to be as spacious with enough facilities as possible. It would also be my workplace where clients would come to see me.
I'd also add that I would have a plethora of friends and family who would jump at the chance of long weekends and week's cruising.

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that it will fit under all the Thames bridges for most of the year but Newbridge could be interesting, width wise, in times of high flow.

Thank you Tony - very helpful.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Wyatt said:

Well, as it would be moored most of the time, I'd like it to be as spacious with enough facilities as possible. It would also be my workplace where clients would come to see me.
I'd also add that I would have a plethora of friends and family who would jump at the chance of long weekends and week's cruising.

My view is in that case, you'd be better off keeping the widebeam permanently at Brentford and getting second, smaller boat for the cruising. Widebeams on the Thames are fine but once on a canal, they are tiresomely cumbersome, progress is slow and moorings harder to find.

I'd suggest you'd get at least twice as far in your proposed one-week cruises in a NB as you would in the WB

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Oh and BTW, cassettes and pump-outs are both equally capable of stinking!

Which is why the pump out tank really needs TWO large bore breather pipes, one ta front and one at the back, to try to get air flow across the effluent for aerobic decomposition.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Wyatt said:

I could buy a boat ( and therefore the mooring)

Just be careful of the teminology - you will not be buying the mooring, but you will be paying a huge premium price for the 'old boat', already on the mooring which you will the sell / PX at an enormous loss, to enable you the 'right' to use the mooring for your new boat.

Be very cafeful and do your research - it is only a couple of years ago that a grouop of Fat-Boat owners were kicked off their (London) moorings as although sold/rented  as 'residential' the London Borough decided they were not residential.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

The O.P. did say "to live on in Brentford", so I infer that he has a mooring awaiting him there.

Well yes, hopefully. Harbourmaster seems very helpful.

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Oh and BTW, cassettes and pump-outs are both equally capable of stinking!

Lovely!

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Which is why the pump out tank really needs TWO large bore breather pipes, one ta front and one at the back, to try to get air flow across the effluent for aerobic decomposition.

Good to know!

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Oh is THAT the problem? Many years ago when I was moored in T&K marina, the pump-out of the boat next to me stank so much I was driven to ask to move to another pontoon. 

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just be careful of the teminology - you will not be buying the mooring, but you will be paying a huge premium price for the 'old boat', already on the mooring which you will the sell / PX at an enormous loss, to enable you the 'right' to use the mooring for your new boat.

Be very cafeful and do your research - it is only a couple of years ago that a grouop of Fat-Boat owners were kicked off their (London) moorings as although sold/rented  as 'residential' the London Borough decided they were not residential.

Thank you Alan, yes, I am aware of this particular pitfall and appreciate much research would be needed to prevent being royally ripped off!

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I say this solely so you investigate and make an informed decison as to the acceptability on the waterways :

"Have you considered composting toilets ?"

Yes I have. Seems to be an system that is a little slow. Remember I'd be in permanent mooring with pump-put facilities.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Wyatt said:

Well yes, hopefully. Harbourmaster seems very helpful.

I'd second Alan De E's warning. Your plan will prolly work fine but if it doesn't (e.g. because the Harbourmaster retires and a new, less "helpful" one is appointed, or you simply fall out with him), you may find yourself being evicted from the mooring and there is NO legal protection from this, unlike in a house. 

Just now, MtB said:

I'd second Alan De E's warning. Your plan will prolly work fine but if it doesn't (e.g. because the Harbourmaster retires and a new, less "helpful" one is appointed, or you simply fall out with him), you may find yourself being evicted from the mooring and there is NO legal protection from this, unlike in a house. 

Wow. Ok MtB, duly warned. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Or the rent goes from £15,000 to £30,000 in one year, and you say "I'm not paying that", but some 'yuppie' says "I'll have it - its cheaper than a house" and you become a wandering 'homeless' boater.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I say this solely so you investigate and make an informed decison as to the acceptability on the waterways :

"Have you considered composting toilets ?"

Lovely big roof for 3 years of bags....

You arent just getting a washer dryer for your £1140, you are getting extended piping, fused spur, waste outlet, possible steam vent, change in normal design layout.....

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Lovely big roof for 3 years of bags....

You arent just getting a washer dryer for your £1140, you are getting extended piping, fused spur, waste outlet, possible steam vent, change in normal design layout.....

Thanks Matty, that makes much more sense of the price!

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are entering a minefield.  Think very carefully what you will do if you lose the mooring, if the marina object to your client visiting, running a business from the marina may well not be allowed.

A very good point and I think you are right. ISTR there is actually a very long, very old thread on here by someone who was getting evicted from Brentford Lock specifically because they were running their business from the boat.