What Engine Oil Do I put in a BMC1800

TheSaintlyOne

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Hi everyone having now got the engine started and running What Engine oil do I need to put in the BMC 1800

I would hope if it is running that it has oil in it now!

15w40 is fine. You may find 20w50 a bit thick in winter. The cheapest diesel tractor oil is suitable in these older engines but as Tony says do not use semi or full synthetic oil. Even recycled oil will be fine, a little bit of residual ash is a good idea to avoid bore glazing.

BMCs like being worked, do not leave it ticking over charging batteries, get some revs on it.

14 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

But we are talking diesel engines here are we not?  That is far far too expensive, you can buy for £2 a litre in 20 litre drums from farm suppliers and trade outlets. Forget Halfords, wrong place to shop for value for money, they have all those expensive overheads and buildings to pay for.

Look on the drum for the Viscosity 20W50 or 15W40 and then look for the API specification. If there is no API Spec be wary because the API spec is the most universal oil perfomance specification. Ignore any API spec starting with an S. You want C for a diesel. The second character broadly describes how well it performs, so CC is a less high duty oil than say CF but don't go over the top with specs much higher than CF.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

But we are talking diesel engines here are we not?  That is far far too expensive, you can buy for £2 a litre in 20 litre drums from farm suppliers and trade outlets. Forget Halfords, wrong place to shop for value for money, they have all those expensive overheads and buildings to pay for.

Unfortunately its a bit of an emergency as having now got the engine running with whatever was in there. I believe 5w/40 non synthetic as apparently reccomended by calcuts. We need to make sure we have enough as we have to move the boat a few miles up the canal as we have been on a 24hr mooring since before lockdown. 

Hence no time for ordering/buying from cheaper suppliers. 

Sorry Im a bit confused and tbf your right they probably are not upto spec on API. This engine oil will be suitable for our deisel engine BMC 1800 

We have enough engine oil but not alot in the gearbox and Im told its the same oil. Please correct me if wrong 

12 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Unfortunately its a bit of an emergency as having now got the engine running with whatever was in there. I believe 5w/40 non synthetic as apparently reccomended by calcuts. We need to make sure we have enough as we have to move the boat a few miles up the canal as we have been on a 24hr mooring since before lockdown. 

Sorry Im a bit confused and tbf your right they probably are not upto spec on API. This engine oil will be suitable for our deisel engine BMC 1800 

We have enough engine oil but not alot in the gearbox and Im told its the same oil. Please correct me if wrong 

What is the gearbox make and model? If its PRM either mechanical or hydraulic engine oil is correct. If its Hurth its ATF.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

PRM changed the spec for their mechanical boxes from engine oil to ATF some years go but engine oil is correct for thr hydraulic ones.

20 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Personally I would expect 5W40 to be a bit thin and maybe cause oil pressure problems, I suspect it is actually 15W40 so will be fine. I simply do not believe Calcutt would sell a 5W40 grade oil (if there is such a thing in mineral oil) for a 1.8. Please check back with them because you might not need to change the oil.

In an emergency almost any mineral oil you can find would do in the short term, I think even a semi-synthetic in the more viscous grades would do as  a short term one off.

For short term u

I reckon 5w40 is only available as a semi synthetic at least, its what goes in modern engines. Originally these BMC engines would have been designed to run on straight SAE30 oil, we are being kind to them with multi grades!

Edited by Tracy D'arth

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

PRM changed the spec for their mechanical boxes from engine oil to ATF some years go but engine oil is correct for thr hydraulic ones.

Personally I would expect 5W40 to be a bit thin and maybe cause oil pressure problems, I suspect it is actually 15W40 so will be fine. I simply do not believe Calcutt would sell a 5W40 grade oil (if there is such a thing in mineral oil) for a 1.8. Please check back with them because you might not need to change the oil.

In an emergency almost any mineral oil you can find would do in the short term, I think even a semi-synthetic in the more viscous grades would do as  a short term one off.

For short term u

I may have been wrong there about 5w/40

whats in it is was reccomended by calcuts

But will that halfords oil be okay or do I need to find something else. Finding non synthetic oil seems to be a bit difficult without ordering. Im at bulls bridge near London not exactly farm country 

11 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

But will that halfords oil be okay or do I need to find something else. Finding non synthetic oil seems to be a bit difficult without ordering. Im at bulls bridge near London not exactly farm country 

I told you that despite what someone presumably told you about it being a petrol engine oil the API CC means it will be fine.

4 minutes ago, TheSaintlyOne said:

Lorry fleet parts counter?  Ebay?  

I even saw some 15/40 Mineral oil in Tescos only this morning (Watford, hardly carrot country). It was £10 for 2 litres or £16 for 4 litres. Can't comment on the spec. If I recall correctly there's a large Tescos at Bulls Bridge near to the old basin.

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Originally these BMC engines would have been designed to run on straight SAE30

If you are going to run on straight 30, this is the stuff to use:

J10650-0_6.jpg

Best online price I have found is from https://www.justkampers.com/ml001-morris-sae30-oil-5litre-for-all-vw-aircooled-engines.html

4 hours ago, Slim said:

I even saw some 15/40 Mineral oil in Tescos only this morning (Watford, hardly carrot country). It was £10 for 2 litres or £16 for 4 litres. Can't comment on the spec. If I recall correctly there's a large Tescos at Bulls Bridge near to the old basin.

£16 for 4 litres is not much cheaper per litre than Halfords 5 litre can. 

Edited by David Mack

4 minutes ago, sunny said:

They were to be run on 20w50 api cc with zddp  it is a flat tappet engine  Try smith and allen classic xl

True, but modern oil distillates with multi grade additives have replaced the older oils with zinc added. I used to buy Valvoline, for the highly tuned engines, in bulk, it has a zinc compound and it was extremely good but is now very expensive.