Crick

Feeby100

Featured Posts

I didn't know it was on this year.

We've been four or five times. The last time, probably three years ago, I found that the new boats lined up on display were all depressingly similar (it's odd that few, if any, contributors to this topic have mentioned BOATS as one of the show's attractions).

N.B. Alnwitk of this parish often goes up there, but last weekend she was still on her mooring across from ours, so it looks as if Graham and Jane are giving it a miss this year.

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

We've been four or five times. The last time, probably three years ago, I found that the new boats lined up on display were all depressingly similar (it's odd that few, if any, contributors to this topic have mentioned BOATS as one of the show's attractions).

N.B. Alnwitk of this parish often goes up there, but last weekend she was still on her mooring across from ours, so it looks as if Graham and Jane are giving it a miss this year.

Given that one of the narrowboats on display apparently cost over £300K I'm not sure your average man on the street will be rushing to order one.  I'll have some interest on the historics that will be there but not much interest in the new builds.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Martin Nicholas said:

For me, it's now a caravan show, albeit floating ones.

Last time I went I found depressingly few stands had much or anything to do with boats and boating, most could have been at any good county show. The proliferation of general craft, clothes, food etc stands rather than boaty stuff made me feel a bit cheated. A good day out but I'd say fewer than 50% of stands were boat-related. 

• Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, MtB said:

Last time I went I found depressingly few stands had much or anything to do with boats and boating, most could have been at any good county show. The proliferation of general craft, clothes, food etc stands rather than boaty stuff made me feel a bit cheated. A good day out but I'd say fewer than 50% of stands were boat-related. 

Sadly also correct for this show.  Boat related stands are dominated by (a) engines and (b) marinas. 

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

Sadly also correct for this show.  Boat related stands are dominated by (a) engines and (b) marinas. 

...and even a) aren't as interesting as they used to be! No more RNs or Beta Tugs on display. 

Edited by Athy

Well today was good had a good walk around 

there was mainly dealers of engines and a like 

some rope suppliers 

tiller stall 

lots of no boat stuff 

was nice to see the old boats on display and weather was spot on 

going back tomorrow 

• Greenie 2

Do they actually sell boats there? If you turn up with a gold credit card could you take one home? I remember yacht shows where on the last day they tried to sell the displays off for cash, that made it interesting if you were in the market for one.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Do they actually sell boats there? If you turn up with a gold credit card could you take one home? I remember yacht shows where on the last day they tried to sell the displays off for cash, that made it interesting if you were in the market for one.

When we used to go you could certainly place an order with the builders but the finished boats are usually 'borrowed' from customers who they have already completed boats for. Sometimes the owners were accompanying their boats.

Our boat was Bath Narrowboats' Crick exhibit boat, built for the previous to us owners.

23 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Most are a bit lumpy to carry home but there are certainly plenty of second-hand boats for sale, and a lot of prospective owners viewing them.  I think all the new ones are sold but I haven't enquired so could be wrong. 

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Still there yesterday, Clattercote Wharf looks very empty

2 hours ago, Idle Days said:

Most are a bit lumpy to carry home but there are certainly plenty of second-hand boats for sale, and a lot of prospective owners viewing them.  I think all the new ones are sold but I haven't enquired so could be wrong. 

Yup, went one year, came away with the buying process started!

But we were in the market so's to speak.  The big advantage was, we were able to speak directly to the selling owner, and able to "road test".  Which I do not recommend, with the show crowd watching...

10 years on we are still very happy with the boat.

Bod

• Greenie 2

On 19/08/2021 at 21:19, jonathanA said:

Midland swindlers have a big marquee and one of the smaller chandler's have a tent near the boats usually. Craftmaster paints have a full range for sale and leesan usually have some stuff. There's usually a few of the restoration societies  the bloke who makes stainless steel chimneys, Aten lighting. Various engine marinsers, battery/boat electrical suppliers , rope suppliers ( I usually renew our mooring lines )  ...

So it really is a struggle to find much boat related..... 

Then there are loads of snake oil peddlers who are always worth watching just for theirs sales pitch and patter

This year, the Midland Chandler’s marquee is about a quarter of the usual size, and has other stands (including Craftmaster) inside it.  The other chandlery tend down by the marina is not there, mostly because it was from Braunston Bottom Lock, which is no longer trading.  The boating marquee is also smaller than usual and with fewer exhibitors.  All in all, quite hard this year to find much to spend money on.

Edited by adam1uk
  • Greenie 2