Crick

Feeby100

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Beo said:

There are 2 light switches in the bedroom but I have to get out of bed to switch the lights on or off! 😱

We have 12 light switches in our boat and they are all in the wrong place, so I guess it's normal. 

4 hours ago, Beo said:

There are 2 light switches in the bedroom but I have to get out of bed to switch the lights on or off! 😱

I blame the chippy who cut the holes for the switches! 🤣. The sparky could only wire up what was there….😜. Hope the rest of the boat is behaving itself?? 

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

I have to get out of the boatman's bed to turn the oil light off by the range

You could probably make a remote control for that. 

I'm imagining a piece of copper tube about 4ft long with about a 100 degree bend on the end, that you blow through :)))

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Foxes afloat are drama queens. I think they're mainly popular amongst people without boats who aspire to a similar lifestyle or others new to boats.

I would say that's the target audience for pretty much all of the boating video makers on you tube.

There wouldn't be much point in targeting curmudgeonly 'know it all been there done that' type boaters now would there?

Much like most of the leisure vehicle related ones.

I've watched a few guys do camper van conversions but if I ever got around to doing one there would be little point in spending time watching somebody do one on you tube.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

We were at Crick on Friday, lovely weather and we enjoyed it. Not been to an inland boat show of any type before so nowt to compare against. Fun day out for us and the pooches, got a couple of things we wanted for our boat when its ready. Was very busy on Friday. Met and spoke with a number of friendly and in some cases helpful people. There was one grumpy lady who seemed upset we wanted to grab a card from a craft stall (not the stall holder, just a loiterer). The old working boats were a joy tbh, wasn't able to get on any but grabbed a few snaps of them.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, frangar said:

I blame the chippy who cut the holes for the switches! 🤣. The sparky could only wire up what was there….😜. Hope the rest of the boat is behaving itself?? 

It is, yes. Only issues have been down to operator error! Hoping to actually get out for a couple of weeks in September 🙂

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Foxes afloat are drama queens. I think they're mainly popular amongst people without boats who aspire to a similar lifestyle or others new to boats.

Spot on, except that only one of them can be the queen unless they take it in turns.

Stopped watching their stupidity when they began kissing each other and such like.

I found them to be too commercial, everything they do or talk about is sponsored and therefore biased.

As for them having yet another new build on the way, just goes to show how unhappy they must be with the "most famous narrowboat in the world"

• Greenie 3

31 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

Spot on, except that only one of them can be the queen unless they take it in turns.

Stopped watching their stupidity when they began kissing each other and such like.

I found them to be too commercial, everything they do or talk about is sponsored and therefore biased.

As for them having yet another new build on the way, just goes to show how unhappy they must be with the "most famous narrowboat in the world"

I can't help finding myself thinking they have watched far too much Top Gear, and are modelling their style on that. 

Which is fine, provided viewers bear in mind the Fox's slant on real boating is similar to Top Gear's slant on real driving. 

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I can't help finding myself thinking they have watched far too much Top Gear, and are modelling their style on that. 

Which is fine, provided viewers bear in mind the Fox's slant on real boating is similar to Top Gear's slant on real driving. 

What exactly is 'real boating'?

Is that like owning a boat and cruising many miles of the network?

Or is 'real boating' something else?

2 minutes ago, rasputin said:

A lucky escape for the YBW Forum

Thankyou for your contribution Rasputin old bean.

Duly filed in the idiot drawer.

3 hours ago, rasputin said:

Great looking boat there...

I agree. 

A Wilderness trail boat if I'm not mistaken.

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

Maybe I have poor taste going on the general views held on here, but I think they are quite entertaining. The amount of research Colin does on the locations/history they are visiting is way beyond anything on TV these days. The filming is good, photography is excellent and I think they are quite good at presenting their information - they do work hard for the money at least! I have no objections to sponsorship (mans gotta make a living!) and they are clear about any sponsorship, unlike so many other channels. I do object to videos where someone is sent a product free of charge (which they often do not mention), they then point out this isn't a paid promotion and its an independent review. They are vloggers who are always after content and the supplier knows it will be reviewed, and favourably. I've seen six videos of a the same product recently, maybe the new way of ultra targeted advertising?

Edited by robtheplod
  • Greenie 2

40 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Maybe I have poor taste going on the general views held on here, but I think they are quite entertaining. The amount of research Colin does on the locations/history they are visiting is way beyond anything on TV these days. The filming is good, photography is excellent and I think they are quite good at presenting their information - they do work hard for the money at least! I have no objections to sponsorship (mans gotta make a living!) and they are clear about any sponsorship, unlike so many other channels. I do object to videos where someone is sent a product free of charge (which they often do not mention), they then point out this isn't a paid promotion and its an independent review. They are vloggers who are always after content and the supplier knows it will be reviewed, and favourably. I've seen six videos of a the same product recently, maybe the new way of ultra targeted advertising?

You must mean a certain brand of portable power bank with solar charging? If you search the name they’ve thrown them at all sorts of vanlife & camping channels too. I had to laugh when several of the reviewers said you could easily throw it in a backpack and take it anywhere when most of them had seemed to struggle lifting the box it came in :D

It was the same a while back with a certain maker of rechargeable LED torches.

• Greenie 1

Did anyone attend the seminar on electric charging infrastructure that CRT were running? Would be interesting to know what they said. Unfortunately it had already happened when I saw it on the list of seminars.