Crick

Feeby100

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Last time we went, four ish years ago, the evening entertainment was the highlight. Great bands/groups and a very good bar. The show itself was disappointing. 

We've always gone by car and thus haven't stayed for the evenings, but I seem to remember some known musical names appearing. Wasn't Screaming Lord Sutch on one year?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

We've always gone by car and thus haven't stayed for the evenings, but I seem to remember some known musical names appearing. Wasn't Screaming Lord Sutch on one year?

Must have been in the last century he died in 1999 😱

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Dr busker  was on one year I was there. Given he goes down rather well at steam rallies and the like…and I find him very good…I thought it was a reflection of the show demographic when there was complaints the next day as he was a bit bawdy….I decided that Crick show..and the cut it was encouraging may not be for me…

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Can’t remember any ‘big’ names there, but maybe because there was a very good bar!!!

19 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Must have been in the last century he died in 1999 😱

Yes, I did assume that if he did appear, it would have been while he was still alive.

I certainly remember, more recently, seeing names that I knew advertised to perform in the evenings, but I don't remember who they were! 

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, I did assume that if he did appear, it would have been while he was still alive.

I certainly remember, more recently, seeing names that I knew advertised to perform in the evenings, but I don't remember who they were! 

A night more to my taste was an impromptu performance by Wild Willy Barrett one evening in the beer tent at a Wendover arm rally at some point in the early/mid nineties….now that was a good night…if slightly hazy! 

Edited by frangar

We went yesterday & it was a pale reflection of the show I last went to 5 odd years ago. Bugger all there to be honest. Still I picked up an undermattress mat which I actually wanted & some light fittings fro bedazzelled but other than that a waste of time. We got there at 10 and left at 12.30.

• Sad 1

Just now, Clodi said:

We went yesterday & it was a pale reflection of the show I last went to 5 odd years ago. Bugger all there to be honest. Still I picked up an undermattress mat which I actually wanted & some light fittings fro bedazzelled but other than that a waste of time. We got there at 10 and left at 12.30.

That makes for an expensive purchase if you paid to get in! 

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

saw Toyah Wilcox there once, believe that Tom Robinson has also played there.

lots of tribute bands, many of which are very good

• Greenie 1

Are the days of these big shows coming to an end? There is more regulation and  conditions every year, traffic considerations, insurance, H&S,  etc.  for the organisers.

The cost of having a stand at exhibitions has been massive for years, I can only assume that it is getting worse year by year.

We did lots of exhibitions back in the '80s and '90s, some good, some a waste of money. We had to shift a lot of stock to show a decent profit. I remember the Platt Fields show in Manchester, huge,  and we sold so much stuff that we had to run vans to some of the manufacturers to get more quickly.

I would not like to do it these days.

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Are the days of these big shows coming to an end? There is more regulation and  conditions every year, traffic considerations, insurance, H&S,  etc.  for the organisers.

The cost of having a stand at exhibitions has been massive for years, I can only assume that it is getting worse year by year.

We did lots of exhibitions back in the '80s and '90s, some good, some a waste of money. We had to shift a lot of stock to show a decent profit. I remember the Platt Fields show in Manchester, huge,  and we sold so much stuff that we had to run vans to some of the manufacturers to get more quickly.

I would not like to do it these days.

When we were allowed out I worked a lot of shows both trade & public. Some are still popular…vegan food fairs in london for instance and things like yoga shows…anything that the punters can interact with or taste….the shows where you just go to buy stuff seem to be attracting less since the web arrived. It’s very easy to see that the “show promotion” can be bettered online. 

The london boat shows were a case in point. They were manic in the Earls Court days…the last one at excel was deserted. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

A night more to my taste was an impromptu performance by Wild Willy Barrett one evening in the beer tent at a Wendover arm rally at some point in the early/mid nineties….now that was a good night…if slightly hazy! 

I remember seeing him with his duet partner John Otway rather more recently, good fun. Otway was one of the acts at the Cropredy fringe a week or so ago, we didn't go but we could hear the music from the boat.

I bet I'm not alone in having been there only once, a few years ago now.   I found it really interesting, but not interesting enough to want to go again!

Foxes are inviting expressions of interest in buying their boat as their new build starts soon.  They describe it as "one of the most famous narrowboats in the world!"

Edited by Tom Morgan
To remove a quote which wasn't needed.
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Idle Days said:

The word on the grapevine is that yesterdays attendance was the highest ever!  Today is quite crowded at 10:30 with plenty still arriving.  

Probably related to this whole 'staycation' thing.

Everything to do with boating (and leisure vehicles) seems to have gone nuts since the end of the last lockdown and subsequent further lifting of restrictions. People are apparently still going abroad but in no where near the numbers doing it in 2019.

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

The Foxes Afloat seem to be very popular, can't believe how many people are going up to them to talk to them, they must think they are celebrities.

On Facebook they are, you could even own the most famous narrowboat ever when they get their new one