Jump to content

Crick


Feeby100

Featured Posts

Only been once, before we had the boat, as it is normally the same weekend as the BCN Challenge.
 

We were talking about it the other day and perhaps we will go for a bit on Saturday, as we are on a break at home at the moment and back to the boat, which is oop north, next week.  
 

Not sure it it is really worth it though, as opposed to when we went before I feel I know a lot more about the subject now, and no sure I need to buy anything, but not doubt I would do if we go.

 

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Rain will happen if you do.

The forecast is rubbish for Sat and Sun, typical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes but some of that tat keeps swmbo happy leaving me able to look at boat stuff.  Although it would be good if there was more boaty things to buy. 

 

Like Ray T we'll be giving it a miss this year for the first time in many years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jonathanA said:

Yes but some of that tat keeps swmbo happy leaving me able to look at boat stuff.  Although it would be good if there was more boaty things to buy. 

 

Like Ray T we'll be giving it a miss this year for the first time in many years. 

But what boat stuff is there to buy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Midland swindlers have a big marquee and one of the smaller chandler's have a tent near the boats usually. Craftmaster paints have a full range for sale and leesan usually have some stuff. There's usually a few of the restoration societies  the bloke who makes stainless steel chimneys, Aten lighting. Various engine marinsers, battery/boat electrical suppliers , rope suppliers ( I usually renew our mooring lines )  ...

 

So it really is a struggle to find much boat related..... 

 

Then there are loads of snake oil peddlers who are always worth watching just for theirs sales pitch and patter

Edited by jonathanA
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Midland swindlers have a big marquee and one of the smaller chandler's have a tent near the boats usually. Craftmaster paints have a full range for sale and leesan usually have some stuff. There's usually a few of the restoration societies  the bloke who makes stainless steel chimneys, Aten lighting. Various engine marinsers, battery/boat electrical suppliers , rope suppliers ( I usually renew our mooring lines )  ...

 

So it really is a struggle to find much boat related..... 

 

Then there are loads of snake oil peddlers who are always worth watching just for theirs sales pitch and patter

It picked up a bit since I last went then

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considered it, but then the better half looked at the forecast, and as we’ve already had a drive to Rugby and back today to look at a boat i don’t think i can face it again on the weekend when the 2.5hr each way drive can turn into a 3-6hr each way drive. Maybe another year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I'd go that far 😕  I'm amazed at how many stalls don't actually have anything for sale Rylards paints and hempel i think yes you can chat and look at colour charts but not actually buy owt. Suspect they are there for the trade rather than end users. 

 

I find it odd that people who don't go are so fixed in their opinions of the event.....

 

I'd would like to see more stands selling things boaters want but we usually come away with a car full and I'm as tight as a ducks chuff.....

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jonathanA said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far 😕  I'm amazed at how many stalls don't actually have anything for sale Rylards paints and hempel i think yes you can chat and look at colour charts but not actually buy owt. Suspect they are there for the trade rather than end users. 

 

I find it odd that people who don't go are so fixed in their opinions of the event.....

 

I'd would like to see more stands selling things boaters want but we usually come away with a car full and I'm as tight as a ducks chuff.....

 

Its over 10 years since we have been and used to enjoy it. The only real negative I can recall was the extortionate prices the food places used to charge. But its easy enough to pack up some refreshments for the day.

 

I suspect a lot of people who criticise it either havent been or like me havent been for many years.

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You think the same as me, last time I went there was very little of boat interest there. cakes, cheese, jewellery, beer.

 

Surely the cheese and beer were worth it ;)

 

I've not been to that show since it left Braunston decades ago.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

 

Its over 10 years since we have been and used to enjoy it. The only real negative I can recall was the extortionate prices the food places used to charge. But its easy enough to pack up some refreshments for the day.

 

I suspect a lot of people who criticise it either havent been or like me havent been for many years.

I’ve been as both punter & exhibitor….I wouldn’t bother being either again if I’m honest. Not enough stuff of interest if you’ve been boating a while. And too many tyre kickers who are just having a nice day out to make any business sense as an exhibitor. 

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’ve been as both punter & exhibitor….I wouldn’t bother being either again if I’m honest. Not enough stuff of interest if you’ve been boating a while. And too many tyre kickers who are just having a nice day out to make any business sense as an exhibitor. 

 

I dont think the main target audience is long standing boaters.

 

We went twice around the time we bought our boat and never really felt the need to go after that. That was over ten years ago.

 

For anybody exploring the idea of buying a canal boat it can be a useful couple of days.

 

We visited a couple of lumpy water shows back then and visiting Crick helped us settle on a canal boat rather than a lumpy water boat.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.