Back cabin stove? Anyone recognise it?

Featured Posts

This stove is for sale near me. It’s very, very similar to an Epping/Classic but has no identifying marks. It’s also very slightly wider (24 against 22 ins) and maybe an inch deeper. 
Does anyone recognise it?

B6488F6A-F914-43C4-8C62-39D4D23E8070.jpeg

It’s the MC version. Sold I believe as a Class 1C! There is a chap on eBay in Wolverhampton who can cast most spares…certainly the smoke boxes. If it’s a good price it’s worth getting and restoring and selling on. As far as I’m aware no one is a present making a new proper back cabin stove…or at least one that looks half way decent. 

48 minutes ago, MtB said:

Brinklow were selling one a few years ago (for about £1300 IIRC). Has that one been withdrawn too then?

I think it might be made to order. Not sure if you have to wait till they have enough to make a batch. I know the chap that got the last one from midland chandlers. 

There was a chap on Facebook making something resembling a back cabin stove but it was an ugly welded box to my mind. 

Edited by frangar

On 19/08/2021 at 19:09, David Mack said:

Is that the Midland Chandlers version of the Epping?

How much do they want for it?

It was £250 and understandably sold pretty quickly. (But I didn’t buy it.)

On 20/08/2021 at 05:43, frangar said:

It’s the MC version. Sold I believe as a Class 1C! There is a chap on eBay in Wolverhampton who can cast most spares…certainly the smoke boxes. If it’s a good price it’s worth getting and restoring and selling on. As far as I’m aware no one is a present making a new proper back cabin stove…or at least one that looks half way decent. 

Word of warning here..

Not sure if you remember but I had one of these stoves for sale recently that had a cracked top plate.  

I was recommended to contact the chap at Wolverhampton who was confident he could cast a new one using the original as a pattern. Stove top was dropped off, in April I believe,  then things went quiet.  I gave him a few weeks,  still nothing, and now he won't answer calls or messages. Fantastic. 

So if anyone fancies a M/C class 1c in as new condition but minus a top plate let me know!

And if you do by any chance read this Lee, you have my number. 

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Word of warning here..

Not sure if you remember but I had one of these stoves for sale recently that had a cracked top plate.  

I was recommended to contact the chap at Wolverhampton who was confident he could cast a new one using the original as a pattern. Stove top was dropped off, in April I believe,  then things went quiet.  I gave him a few weeks,  still nothing, and now he won't answer calls or messages. Fantastic. 

So if anyone fancies a M/C class 1c in as new condition but minus a top plate let me know!

And if you do by any chance read this Lee, you have my number. 

That’s a real shame. I found Lee quite easy to deal with when I got my smoke box. He was happy to post Royal Mail rather than a courier so I could collect it if I wasn’t in etc. 

Sorry if my recommendation has caused you trouble! I’m afraid I only know contact details through eBay etc. Don’t think I have a phone number even. At the risk of recommending someone else you could try Osbourne restorations as it was him that put me onto Lee. 

Don't worry,  it was Sarah at Glascote who recommended him!

Maybe he's just having a few bad months.. or year.

Ollie at Osborne Restorations is very helpful,  he definitely knows his stuff. His workshop is great, an old boatyard on the Avon. He had some fascinating projects on when I called in, from huge ranges out of manor houses to tiny stoves from vintage yachts. 

1 minute ago, noddyboater said:

Don't worry,  it was Sarah at Glascote who recommended him!

Maybe he's just having a few bad months.. or year.

Ollie at Osborne Restorations is very helpful,  he definitely knows his stuff. His workshop is great, an old boatyard on the Avon. He had some fascinating projects on when I called in, from huge ranges out of manor houses to tiny stoves from vintage yachts. 

I went to see Ollie with my old back cabin range and was mulling over getting him to refurb it…that was going to involve a lot of new castings tho and wasn’t going to be cheap…then I was offered a Class 1C for nowt if I took it out the boat it was in..just needed a new smoke box…which I couldn’t really refuse…still got the other range tho as I’ve not the heart to skip it…or sadly the spare cash…about £1700… to get it sorted. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I went to see Ollie with my old back cabin range and was mulling over getting him to refurb it…that was going to involve a lot of new castings tho and wasn’t going to be cheap…then I was offered a Class 1C for nowt if I took it out the boat it was in..just needed a new smoke box…which I couldn’t really refuse…still got the other range tho as I’ve not the heart to skip it…or sadly the spare cash…about £1700… to get it sorted. 

What was the original range, a "nipper"?

17 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

What was the original range, a "nipper"?

It was called “the castle” very similar to a guidwife…cast in Scotland but with a Colchester Ironmongers name cast into it. Possibly originally fitted to a Thames sailing barge. It had an open firebox with just a grate…no door….made boat safety people twitch!