Inlander 12v Fridge Flashing Twice?!

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Hi all, long time no see. Been far too busy on other projects. 

Our 12v inlander fridge is flashing twice which according to the manual means the “fan is over current.” Yet we have no fan installed and there is nothing touching the fan terminal on the back of the fridge. 

No loose connections either and it’s getting a good voltage to the back. 

Any ideas?  I’ve tried turning it off and on but no luck. 

many thanks. 

image.jpg

56 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I bet you will find its low voltage causing it not to start. Batteries low or worn out?

I agree. A simple test is to try starting the engine and revving it to get the alternator charging, and see if the higher battery voltage with the engine running makes the error goes away. 

1 hour ago, Doodlebug said:

^^^ This ^^^ is not enough information. The voltage will dip momentarily just as the compressor draws its peak start up current, and this momentary dip can cause the two-flash error on my own 12v, Danfoss powered fridge. Have you measured the voltage just as it starts up? What is it? 

Just now, MtB said:

^^^ This ^^^ is not enough information. The voltage will dip momentarily just as the compressor draws its peak start up current, and this momentary dip can cause the two-flash error on my own 12v, Danfoss powered fridge. Have you measured the voltage just as it starts up? What is it? 

Once again, the typical voltmeter will not sample fast enough for the above test. You will get a reading, but it will be meaningless. You need a fast storage scope or a very expensive meter. I agree, most likely lack of voltage.

1 hour ago, Doodlebug said:

Not a valid test, especially as you don't quantify the voltage you found. See the answer above - start and rev the engine and report if it works or not.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Once again, the typical voltmeter will not sample fast enough for the above test. You will get a reading, but it will be meaningless. You need a fast storage scope or a very expensive meter. I agree, most likely lack of voltage.

You do get lucky sometimes and the sample coincides with the momentary dip and a reading of say, nine volts even once points you in the right direction. Or this is one of the few cases where an analog multi-meter is good as you'll see the needle dip, although you won't get an accurate reading. 

I agree though, something expensive is needed to grab a proper and accurate reading of the voltage dip. 

(Hence my suggestion to raise the whole system voltage by a couple of volts, by starting the engine.)

Just now, MtB said:

You do get lucky sometimes and the sample coincides with the momentary dip and a reading of say, nine volts even once points you in the right direction. Or this is one of the few cases where an analog multi-meter is good as you'll see the needle dip, although you won't get an accurate reading. 

I agree though, something expensive is needed to grab a proper and accurate reading of the voltage dip. 

I think you are right about an analogue meter as long as it has low needle inertia, so a quality one again. You are also right that a digital one MIGHT sample at the time to get a lower reading, but then again it might not, so most digital meters stand a good chance of confusing the issue.

I suppose the only way most boaters have of doing a  reliable test is to connect a heavy load to the circuit and then test the voltage, but that is easier said than done, possibly a 200W inverter and a power tool would do it or a couple of car headlamp bulbs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve taken out the fridge and put it directly next to the batteries and held the bare newly stripped wire against the terminals whilst it gets 30a of solar power at 13.5v going in and it still flashes. I’ve left it off for an hour and no luck. Was working fine overnight. 

Many thanks.