Waterways traders boats

frangar

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, frangar said:

I’d have thought of you offered a service to other boaters you’d make sure your own boat was the best advert. 

In the last few days I’ve passed a boat in tatty primer with moss growing that offered painting & signwriting….a canopy maker with grubby tarps as a cratch cover & pram hood….and a boat mover with magnetic signs on what I take to be a customers boat who was blasting along flat out totally oblivious to others around them..glad it wasn’t my boat they were moving!

I saw all three last trip out. I think the boat mover was out on a jolly with his trade plates as I saw him, the boat with trade plates, the young lady on the mooring in the opposite direction to what he was travelling when I first saw him. 

On 19/08/2021 at 08:06, frangar said:

Maybe it’s how they all do it…..?? Maybe I’ve been doing it all wrong…..

Not all-there are a good few that whilst dont hang about , take pride in what they do and are respectful enough of everyone elses boats. Probably harder to spot if dont have magnetic signs though...🙂

59 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Like Paul, I used to cover vast distances by doing long days, efficient locking and getting up before sunrise, not by speeding as no doubt someone from on here would have recognised me....

The time we met I never felt you go past, unlike sitting here in Braunston today on the side of a motorway

On 19/08/2021 at 11:04, MtB said:

Because it reflects badly on the boater under discussion's business of making and selling selling smart new fenders, obviously!

I wouldn't judge a chef by the sandwich they made for their own lunch; I would judge them by the sandwich they served me for mine.

Similarly I wouldn't judge a fender maker by their own stern fender; I would judge them by the 'many' new fenders on their roof that were actually for sale. Why on Earth would anyone do otherwise?

Wastage on the basis of aesthetics is asinine, and I say that as someone who is paid to care about aesthetics.

5 hours ago, tehmarks said:

I wouldn't judge a chef by the sandwich they made for their own lunch; I would judge them by the sandwich they served me for mine.

Similarly I wouldn't judge a fender maker by their own stern fender; I would judge them by the 'many' new fenders on their roof that were actually for sale. Why on Earth would anyone do otherwise?

Wastage on the basis of aesthetics is asinine, and I say that as someone who is paid to care about aesthetics.

How would you know they made the best fenders in the world if the only one you saw was a tatty bit of frayed rope with a tree growing out of it? If you make one to show people why not put it on your boat…which is after all your shop window…or should be. 

17 hours ago, frangar said:

How would you know they made the best fenders in the world if the only one you saw was a tatty bit of frayed rope with a tree growing out of it? If you make one to show people why not put it on your boat…which is after all your shop window…or should be. 

Well, in this specific instance I'd probably look at the 'so many' fenders 'on his roof'. A fender is a piece of working equipment; it's not there to look pretty and quite possibly won't look pretty for very long. It's ridiculous to think the trader in question should swap his perfectly functional fender out as soon as it looks anything other than pristine.

8 hours ago, tehmarks said:

Well, in this specific instance I'd probably look at the 'so many' fenders 'on his roof'. A fender is a piece of working equipment; it's not there to look pretty and quite possibly won't look pretty for very long. It's ridiculous to think the trader in question should swap his perfectly functional fender out as soon as it looks anything other than pristine.

There again, you might think he had swapped his old fender for a new one,  and it had fallen to bits by the next week!