Waterways traders boats

frangar

Featured Posts

I’d have thought of you offered a service to other boaters you’d make sure your own boat was the best advert. 

In the last few days I’ve passed a boat in tatty primer with moss growing that offered painting & signwriting….a canopy maker with grubby tarps as a cratch cover & pram hood….and a boat mover with magnetic signs on what I take to be a customers boat who was blasting along flat out totally oblivious to others around them..glad it wasn’t my boat they were moving!

19 minutes ago, frangar said:

….and a boat mover with magnetic signs on what I take to be a customers boat who was blasting along flat out totally oblivious to others around them..glad it wasn’t my boat they were moving!

Funnily enough, I mentioned a boat mover(who shall remain anonymous unless he wants to out himself) a couple of days ago who's friend in front of him  was doing just that, blasting full throttle until next to a moored boat, could hear him coming from a long way off.

The boatmover has now joined the forum and started following me. 😉

23 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’d have thought of you offered a service to other boaters you’d make sure your own boat was the best advert. 

In the last few days I’ve passed a boat in tatty primer with moss growing that offered painting & signwriting….a canopy maker with grubby tarps as a cratch cover & pram hood….and a boat mover with magnetic signs on what I take to be a customers boat who was blasting along flat out totally oblivious to others around them..glad it wasn’t my boat they were moving!

That's the waywith tradesmen, by the time they have finished their day working on other people's property they don't feel inclined to go home and start work on their own. In this village lives a builder whose work is reputed to be good; he's had scaffolding outside his own house for a good two years.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Funnily enough, I mentioned a boat mover(who shall remain anonymous unless he wants to out himself) a couple of days ago who's friend in front of him  was doing just that, blasting full throttle until next to a moored boat, could hear him coming from a long way off.

The boatmover has now joined the forum and started following me. 😉

Maybe it’s how they all do it…..?? Maybe I’ve been doing it all wrong…..

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's the waywith tradesmen, by the time they have finished their day working on other people's property they don't feel inclined to go home and start work on their own. In this village lives a builder whose work is reputed to be good; he's had scaffolding outside his own house for a good two years.

too true, you look at the pipes in a plumbers house or the electrics in an electricians!

I do IT and my computer doesn't even have a case and the power unit sits by the side of it!

2 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

An old saying "A cobbler is always the worst shod." immediately sprang to mind. 

Indeed but I wouldn’t be handing my cash over!  

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

too true, you look at the pipes in a plumbers house or the electrics in an electricians!

I do IT and my computer doesn't even have a case and the power unit sits by the side of it!

But do you show it to customers as an example of your work?? 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

One of the traders selling fenders has a very tatty stern fender, with so many on his roof I often wonder why he doesn't change his own.

Perhaps because it was still functional, and some people care more or even exclusively about functionality rather than things looking nice? Sensible attitude I'd say — after all you're not going to buy a fender on the strength of the gentleman's own fender you're going to buy it on the strength of the ones for sale that you can see and pick up and examine...

Why replace something that still works?

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

Perhaps because it was still functional, and some people care more or even exclusively about functionality rather than things looking nice? Sensible attitude I'd say — after all you're not going to buy a fender on the strength of the gentleman's own fender you're going to buy it on the strength of the ones for sale that you can see and pick up and examine...

Why replace something that still works?

Because it reflects badly on the boater under discussion's business of making and selling selling smart new fenders, obviously!

• Greenie 1

On the other hand, a trader with the smartest boat or the most expensive new trade van can give the wrong impression.

I’m a supporter of Dusty on the South Oxford. Pretty standard grey painted suitable boat. A lovely couple that are always cheerful and willing to spend a bit of ‘gossip’ time. Long May they continue.

Other trade boats are available, of course.

9 hours ago, MtB said:

I drive a ten year old but very well looked-after and presentable Mercedes van, and it's remarkable how many customers go out of their way to comment how reassuring they find it that I didn't turn up in an old heap. 

When one of my competitors retired he "sold his book" to another technician. I subsequently picked up three of his old customers as they took exception to the new chap turning up in a Range Rover, even though it was 12 years old. I had a friend many years ago who went self employed as an electrician. He used to do work for another friends  company, and after ditching his thirsty 2 litre Cortina Estate for a Jaguar that was 50% more economical, my friend was asked by his M.D. how they could afford to use such opulent contractors, and was instructed to find an alternative.

Once formed, impressions are difficult to overcome.

Edited by Ex Brummie
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, tehmarks said:

Perhaps because it was still functional, and some people care more or even exclusively about functionality rather than things looking nice? Sensible attitude I'd say —

I occasionally met technicians who, when the  state of their equipment was criticised, tried the line: "do you want it to work or do you want it to look nice?" I rarely found the two states mutually exclusive and more often found kit that looked neglected to be defective than kit which was obviously being well cared for.

Returning to the first post, I think I'd agree that 

a signwriter's boat is surely his best advert.  I wonder what @dave moore thinks?

10 hours ago, David Mack said:

Some years ago we were put solidly aground by a boat advertising helmsman training!

Not "Centurion" or whatever, a vintage Market Harborough boat, running out of Streethay?

Edited by JamesWoolcock
Typo whilst at the evening trough