Planning permission finally granted for houseboat.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Perhaps he would too but he hasn't got £149,000 available.

Oh, and that looks far more like a shed, albeit a well-made and -fitted one, than the one which is the subject of the topic.

I would hazard a guess it won't have been cheap to build the floating shed and it certainly won't be cheap to "moor" it where it is.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I would hazard a guess it won't have been cheap to build the floating shed and it certainly won't be cheap to "moor" it where it is.

I assume that they've done the building work (or much of it) themselves, thereby eliminating labour costs - which tend not to be cheap either.

54 minutes ago, Athy said:

I assume that they've done the building work (or much of it) themselves, thereby eliminating labour costs - which tend not to be cheap either.

Materials costs alone will not have been cheap on a project that size.

3 hours ago, phantom_iv said:

Lovely interior OSB fit out they have....

I think that's temporary. The video tour shows other rooms to be fully finished. The boat is clearly a work in progress, and demonstrates the difficulty of trying to fit out while living aboard with a small child.

I had not heard of OSB. I have now looked it up. The internet tells me that it is a versatile and durable building board with an attractive finish. That doesn't sound like a bad fitting-out material.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I had not heard of OSB. I have now looked it up. The internet tells me that it is a versatile and durable building board with an attractive finish. That doesn't sound like a bad fitting-out material.

It certainly isn't something I would call attractive!!

S000038_s_01_4bfc.jpg.7f9aacbcc58178825ff04bdcb603f654.jpg

We have used it for a few shelves in the garage but that is as close to anything I live in or spend time in that it will get!!

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have used it for a few shelves in the garage but that is as close to anything I live in or spend time in that it will get!!

That looks like something you should pour milk and sprinkle sugar on. The internet description may indeed have been a little misleading.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I lined my boat out with it twenty five years ago, then tongue & groove over the top. He's putting plasterboard on top as far as I can see.

6 hours ago, dmr said:

'ouses on the land, boats on the water. Lots of land for 'ouses but navigable water is a limited and precious resource so should not be used for building 'ouses.

Then maybe "they" should build 'ouses that people can afford, rather than to make inflated profits. Only they won't.

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I lined my boat out with it twenty five years ago, then tongue & groove over the top. He's putting plasterboard on top as far as I can see.

Oh plasterboard will work well in a boat. My opinion of him stands! 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Oh plasterboard will work well in a boat. My opinion of him stands! 

And the problem with plasterboard is??  This is an unpowered ferrocement hull with timber upper works, not subject to the sort of vibrations a powered cruising boat gets, and no more subject to damp than any other land-based construction near water.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

And the problem with plasterboard is??  This is an unpowered ferrocement hull with timber upper works, not subject to the sort of vibrations a powered cruising boat gets, and no more subject to damp than any other land-based construction near water.

I would suggest judging from the construction it won’t be anywhere near as dry as a modern house…plasterboard naturally absorbs moisture…I wouldn’t use it on a house near water either! I’ve seen what happens to it in older properties that aren’t well insulated. 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I would suggest judging from the construction it won’t be anywhere near as dry as a modern house…plasterboard naturally absorbs moisture…I wouldn’t use it on a house near water either! I’ve seen what happens to it in older properties that aren’t well insulated. 

I think he probably uses "plasterboard" as a generic term.  Either way, anything you build into a boat generally ends up as temporary as both your ideas and the situation changes.  The crucial thing with a house, or a boat, or, in fact, a houseboat, is to get the thing into a state where you can live and work in it now, and then amend it as you go along and you get new ideas, or, in fact, money.

And I'm in a 1920's house that is definitely not well insulated, because of the construction it can't be, and the plasterboard seems to be holding up OK! And in Macclesfield, where it rains a lot, to put it mildly. There are some very odd ideas about house construction out there.  They are, after all, just things to keep the rain off.

14 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think he probably uses "plasterboard" as a generic term.  Either way, anything you build into a boat generally ends up as temporary as both your ideas and the situation changes.  The crucial thing with a house, or a boat, or, in fact, a houseboat, is to get the thing into a state where you can live and work in it now, and then amend it as you go along and you get new ideas, or, in fact, money.

And I'm in a 1920's house that is definitely not well insulated, because of the construction it can't be, and the plasterboard seems to be holding up OK! And in Macclesfield, where it rains a lot, to put it mildly. There are some very odd ideas about house construction out there.  They are, after all, just things to keep the rain off.

Plasterboard wasn't commonly used in the 20's in UK houses.

So if your walls are plasterboard they have almost certainly had some work done to them in the time since the house was built!

17 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

16 hours ago, Athy said:

That looks like something you should pour milk and sprinkle sugar on. The internet description may indeed have been a little misleading.

It's the kind of thing that trendy business centres and cafes leave exposed, along with pipework and heating ducts. 

This is why I have an office in a 17th century building rather than run a business from such places. If I'm going to have the woodwork exposed in my office, at least it's historic woodwork. 

4 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

It's the kind of thing that trendy business centres and cafes leave exposed, along with pipework and heating ducts. 

I blame the Pompidou Centre. It was the French as started it.

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

The French can be blamed for most of the cock ups in the world. 

I couldn't possibly comment; on a more positive note, they're to blame for many of the best cook-ups too.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Plasterboard wasn't commonly used in the 20's in UK houses.

So if your walls are plasterboard they have almost certainly had some work done to them in the time since the house was built!

It's hardly recognisable... It's twice the size, now with an upstairs and a big conservatory, extra rooms built on apparently at random. Sprawling dormer bungalow. The surveyor damned it for the weird room layout  but it means my wife can plays the tuba in one room while I mangle a trombone in another and we can't even hear each other.

• Haha 1

If the barge is a second world war ferro concrete barge,then it is amost indesructable. Appart from the Mulberry Harbours,these barges were not a great success. When barging opperations finished due to changing cargo handling,steel (and wood)barges could be re-cycled. Ferro concrete barges are with us for ever unless they can be used for bank protection(as at Purton). May as well use them for something usefull.I have no view of the location in Bristol Harbour,as I am not familiar with the area.

On 18/08/2021 at 10:35, Tacet said:

It is situated in a conservation area against a backdrop of listed buildings.   

Whether or not it should be permitted is a more subjective question - but broadly speaking, an application for a modern estate house in such a setting would at least provide an understandable reason for objection.

Have you actually seen Bristol Harbour? 

Keith