Converting Gas Cooker

christophert

Featured Posts

Hi folks, has anyone converted a standard gas cooker/hob & oven to propane? That stuff in the orange metal bottle we use on our boats? It's time to give my kitchen a face lift and want to buy a 'normal cooker' and not a caravany thing. 

Also, has anyone got a shotgun so I can shoot the Canadian geese!

Some cookers come with different jets and instructions how to convert.

You change the jets in the burners and I had to remove control  knobs to access adjustment for flame hieght on low or simmer setting.all settings given in detail in the instructions

7 hours ago, christophert said:

Hi folks, has anyone converted a standard gas cooker/hob & oven to propane?

Yes, as said you can, for many models, buy a converter 'kit'.

The main thing to ensure is that the cooker / hob is fitted with a FFD (Flame failure Device), if not it will fail the BSS examination.

Certainly there were models available that did not have them, but I seem to remember reading that now they were all to be fitted with an FFD.

A Flame Supervision Device (or FSD) or Flame Failure Device (FFD) is a part of the gas burner system that ensures that the fuel supply to a gas appliance such as a gas hob is cut off automatically and immediately if for any reason the flame goes out or becomes unstable.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Certainly there were models available that did not have them, but I seem to remember reading that now they were all to be fitted with an FFD.

Then you have slightly misunderstood.

There is no legal obligation on manufacturers to fit flame supervision on hotplate rings, just a legal obligation for installers to only fit hotplates WITH flame supervision in certain, but not all, situations.

The net result of this is virtually all cookers are manufactured with flame supervision on the hotplates now because commercially, not to do so would limit the market for their products.

• Greenie 1

It can be a very fiddly job, with the top oven/grill and main oven being particularly difficult. Depending on access, a socket of the correct size with something (sticky) inside will help prevent the new jet falling into the abyss. 

• Greenie 1

See another very recent thread discussing this. Does your boat have 240V AC mains available? Most household cookers rely on it now for ignition, cooling fans, timers etc. Ignition can be converted to 12V easily. Fans not so easily, but are important to stop sensitive parts of the stove from overheating. Doing any of this and wave goodbye to any warrantee. Or a small inverter just to run the stove.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Then you have slightly misunderstood.

There is no legal obligation on manufacturers to fit flame supervision on hotplate rings, just a legal obligation for installers to only fit hotplates WITH flame supervision in certain, but not all, situations.

The net result of this is virtually all cookers are manufactured with flame supervision on the hotplates now because commercially, not to do so would limit the market for their products.

To amplify this. I think you would be most at risk of buying a cooker without FFDs from the likes of  Ebay and Amazon because they seem rife with grey imports with very poor/nonsensical descriptions and data.

2 hours ago, christophert said:

Thank you all for your help. I had no knowledge of  FFD and would not have taken that into consideration when buying one.  Also, I well avoid fan assisted as when converted to 12v well be too much drain on the batteries.

It isn't just fan assisted ovens. Many cookers without fan assist to even out oven temperatures will have a fan to cool various heat sensitive components elsewhere. It needs a detailed knowledge of the particular model you want to buy to be sure of what you are getting.