A point of manners

tehmarks

Featured Posts

If you cruise past a boat while staring blatantly through the windows — and the occupant sat on the sofa waves hello to you — it's rude and a bit weird to continue staring while not waving back. Seems so obvious that it doesn't need stating aloud...so why do so many people do it!?

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

If you cruise past a boat while staring blatantly through the windows — and the occupant sat on the sofa waves hello to you — it's rude and a bit weird to continue staring while not waving back. Seems so obvious that it doesn't need stating aloud...so why do so many people do it!?

You may find depending on the glare from the glass, that the person outside cannot actually see that much inside, and it may be they just haven’t seen you waving.

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

If your eyes meet it' s natural to acknowledge each other. If not, it isn't. 

When people are pointedly staring inside my home/at me in my home, I feel I have to meet their gaze and wave to avoid feeling like a zoo exhibit. I'd say it's a bit rude to stare at length through windows in the first place, to be quite honest!

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Phil. said:

You may find depending on the glare from the glass, that the person outside cannot actually see that much inside, and it may be they just haven’t seen you waving.

I often find myself straining to see past windscreen reflections to see whether the steerer on another boat is actually waving, in an attempt to prevent my customary affability tipping over into looking like an over-friendly lunatic. 

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Phil. said:

A fair point — but I can confidently state as a lighting designer that there will be no strong glare or reflections today at the Bratch. It's dull and overcast.

Edited by tehmarks

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

Have a boat with portholes, problem solved.

I would very happily have a boat with portholes (and a tug deck, and a proper engine room, and...), but alas I am stuck with my windows for the foreseeable.

1 hour ago, tehmarks said:

I would very happily have a boat with portholes (and a tug deck, and a proper engine room, and...), but alas I am stuck with my windows for the foreseeable.

Keep the boat with windows. i made the mistake of buying a cave with portholes. A fab boat but twas like living in a Smial.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Mind you, dahn sarf it's probably considered bad manners even to talk to a stranger.

South of the Thames it's an arrestable offence. 

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

South of the Thames it's an arrestable offence. 

I was quite lucky in my student days whilst on a trip to the MOMI Museum in that London to not get nicked for trying to talk to folk on the underground, very unsociable bunch. And don't even get me started on what passed for beer and what they expected me to pay for it!

Turned out the National Museum of Film & Photography in Bradford was way better too :D 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Love it and so bloomin true. I last went there for my fifth visit about 25 ish years ago to bring child away from Uni. I have been by boat since but didnt mix with the locals and stayed aboard 😃

3 hours ago, tehmarks said:

Have you actually considered that they can't see inside? He's probably admiring the reflection of his Admiral's hat worn at a jaunty angle, his nonchalant pose at the tiller and the lovely shiny paint job he's just paid a mint for. Well, I would if it was me!!

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Mind you, dahn sarf it's probably considered bad manners even to talk to a stranger.

What do you have against we southerners?. 

5 hours ago, tehmarks said:

If you cruise past a boat while staring blatantly through the windows — and the occupant sat on the sofa waves hello to you — it's rude and a bit weird to continue staring while not waving back.

But I didn't, what makes you think it was me?

I wasn't out boating today, and haven't visited Bratch in years.

Are you picking on me?

I find that rude and weird.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

But I didn't, what makes you think it was me?

I wasn't out boating today, and haven't visited Bratch in years.

Are you picking on me?

I find that rude and weird.

If one cruises past a...🙄

Edited by tehmarks

I try not to look through boat windows unless someone is looking out that i can wave to, as;

1. In the past i’ve seen naked people and the distraction makes me swerve.

2. There’s a chance i’ll see some manifestation of Creepy & Jim dolls of varying size and they’re bloody awful, and the distraction makes me swerve.

3. I’m usually too busy looking at the outside of the boat.

18 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Nothing. I'm just reporting facts: I spent the first 20-odd years of my life dahn sahf.

I was brung up oop Norff and lived most of my adult life darn sarf. I find it the same up or down.

• Greenie 1