Idea, but need to check something...

Featured Posts

Hi All

The top up tank for the heating system on our boat is at the back of the electrics cupboard, which makes it really difficult to check quickly without almost climbing in the cupboard. I was thinking about a small block on polystyrene with a small stick on it that points over the lip to quickly show the level but just wanted to check would the mix of water/antifreeze solution react with it?  if so what else could I use - cork maybe?   I know its an odd one ......

20190803_111744.jpg

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I was thinking about a small block on polystyrene with a small stick on it

I think you're on the right track, but I'd suggest a thin flat panel of polystyrene the same shape but just a little smaller than the free surface of the whole of the water. This will float in a more stable manner than "a small block of polystyrene" once you've attached a vertical indicator rod to it. 

In addition it will greatly reduce the free surface area of water exposed to air (or more specifically, oxygen) which helps reduce oxygenation of the CH water which in turn, helps reduce system corrosion. 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think you're on the right track, but I'd suggest a thin flat panel of polystyrene the same shape but just a little smaller than the free surface of the whole of the water. This will float in a more stable manner than "a small block of polystyrene" once you've attached a vertical indicator rod to it. 

In addition it will greatly reduce the free surface area of water exposed to air (or more specifically, oxygen) which helps reduce oxygenation of the CH water which in turn, helps reduce system corrosion. 

thanks, interesting unintended consequence as well so bonus... just need to be sure its not going to dissolve into a sticky mess with the antifreeze?

Fishing float of appropriate size, you could even rescue one from the offside vegetation whilst out cruising and rehome it, usually see several stuck in trees etc. Or if you’re feeling a bit Blue Peter, fashion your own with ping pong ball and dowel with a washer or something to help cock it ;) 

8 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Fishing float of appropriate size, you could even rescue one from the offside vegetation whilst out cruising and rehome it, usually see several stuck in trees etc. Or if you’re feeling a bit Blue Peter, fashion your own with ping pong ball and dowel with a washer or something to help cock it ;) 

I like the ping pong idea.... this could get quite creative!

9 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

You can get floats that open to let you put weights inside them so they cock on their own.

10 hours ago, MtB said:

General principle is OK but I think that tank is slightly tapered compared with the electrical stuff, so that needs taking into account size wise.

1 minute ago, Bee said:

Like most of us you probably have a few old mirrors in your make up bag, just stick one over the top of the tank at 45degs and you can glance at it from time to time.

oh dear, I've obviously given an odd impression of myself over my time on here!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

You can get floats that open to let you put weights inside them so they cock on their own.

General principle is OK but I think that tank is slightly tapered compared with the electrical stuff, so that needs taking into account size wise.

I think the taper is a parallax effect in the taking of the photo. I have what I think is the same make and model of header tank in my own boat and mine is exactly parallel. 

Mine came with a lid though! 

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Like most of us you probably have a few old mirrors in your make up bag, just stick one over the top of the tank at 45degs and you can glance at it from time to time.

That was exactly what I did, along with the tried and tested ‘stick my finger in the header tank and check it came out wet method’.

33 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

That was exactly what I did, along with the tried and tested ‘stick my finger in the header tank and check it came out wet method’.

Have to say, waggling my fingers in the tank to see if my fingertips get wet works for me too! 

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Have to say, waggling my fingers in the tank to see if my fingertips get wet works for me too! 

When we bought our boat it had a BL expansion tank for the central heating. Yes you could see the coolant level but, it looked and was cheap and nasty IMHO. 

1519062208_random078.jpg.1bc6a5e8e25b36f62c223d810c5dbf6f.jpg

Having more money than sense I bought this from a classic car site.

Can't see the fluid level unless I take the cap off. 

DSCF5020.jpg

Edited by Ray T

16 minutes ago, Ray T said:

When we bought our boat it had a BL expansion tank for the central heating. Yes you could see the coolant level but, it looked and was cheap and nasty IMHO. 

1519062208_random078.jpg.1bc6a5e8e25b36f62c223d810c5dbf6f.jpg

Having more money than sense I bought this from a classic car site.

Can't see the fluid level unless I take the cap off. 

DSCF5020.jpg

I prefer the pipe work on the first

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

A skin fitting elbow on the side at the bottom and one at the top with a piece of clear pipe between the 2.

Or even a T in the pipe below the tank and elbow, clear pipe running up and bent over the top of tank or straight up to above the top of the tank.

My header tank has a miniature ballcock type thing in it. When the level goes down, a white plastic float that usually sticks up above the top of the header tank, dips down. If the stop valve is open, the floating ballcock automatically fills the header tank from the main water supply, and stops when it's full enough. When the stop valve is closed, I can top it up manually instead. 

In other words, a floaty indicator thing for header tanks already exists. Just need to find out what it's called 🤔;)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

34 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

My header tank has a miniature ballcock type thing in it. When the level goes down, a white plastic float that usually sticks up above the top of the header tank, dips down. If the stop valve is open, the floating ballcock automatically fills the header tank from the main water supply, and stops when it's full enough. When the stop valve is closed, I can top it up manually instead. 

In other words, a floaty indicator thing for header tanks already exists. Just need to find out what it's called 🤔;)

But how will that help Rob with his makeup? :D 

12 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Or even a T in the pipe below the tank and elbow, clear pipe running up and bent over the top of tank or straight up to above the top of the tank.

I was going to suggest a sight glass but thought it would quickly become unreadable due to the nature of the fluid in heating systems, i suspect that the above would end up the same.