Boat Safety Certificate

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I paid £180 in May 2020 which was a substantial increase over 4 years earlier. 

I understand BSS had increased  their charges .

I think they insist the examiners go one regular courses, which have to be paid for. One bloke I spoke to who was going to be an examiner said he was on a year long course. Apparently there are now only about half the number there used to be - mine said there are about 150 in the country. I know three who have retired in the past few years.

54 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I paid £180 in May 2020 which was a substantial increase over 4 years earlier. 

I understand BSS had increased  their charges .

I don't think it is BSS that increased their charges, it is the charges C&RT make to the BSS that increased,plus the cost of fuel & travel has increased so the examiner has more outgoings.

I've just had one done which cost £140 (no vat). 

Looks like I got a bargain! Chap had three others in same general area that day so he probably earned comfortably well that day.  

The hard bit for anyone self-employed is arranging the same to happen day in, day out. In reality this is nigh on impossible to arrange on a regular basis IME. 

8 hours ago, MtB said:

I've just had one done which cost £140 (no vat). 

Looks like I got a bargain! Chap had three others in same general area that day so he probably earned comfortably well that day.  

The hard bit for anyone self-employed is arranging the same to happen day in, day out. In reality this is nigh on impossible to arrange on a regular basis IME. 

The surveyor I used  did three boats in one day . I arranged another boat with my own but did not receive a discount . In the end the other boat owner was not helpful with arranging keys to to be available for his boat so never again.  . You did get a bargain.

I make it easy by making the boat tidy and clearing any restrictions to access to relevant areas and checking extinguishers.

Not all inspections go easily .