For those who remember John Sloan on here.

wandering snail

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, frangar said:

Unsurprisingly I rarely agreed with him on anything….🤣🤣

I had a few beers with him and Stan on a few occasions. I went with him to a meeting with CART in its early days before John went off to Calais. He was a nice and interesting bloke who new much about logistics and heavy goods etc. Last beer we had was in Banbury a few years ago when he was talking of selling his boat. IIRC the meeting we had was in Ripon, there were other forum members there ( You know who you are ) ;)

13 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

An obviously driven and passionate man who gives his all to what he believes in, wanna  bet he won't retire  :)

He's already thinking about what he can do to help the refugees from Afghanistan!

Edited by wandering snail
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I had a few beers with him and Stan on a few occasions. I went with him to a meeting with CART in its early days before John went off to Calais. He was a nice and interesting bloke who new much about logistics and heavy goods etc. Last beer we had was in Banbury a few years ago when he was talking of selling his boat. IIRC the meeting we had was in Ripon, there were other forum members there ( You know who you are ) ;)

It wasnt Ripon mate it was Skipton. @howardang was there too. And @Albion 

Not sure now what the point was but reading reports on here about the state of the waterways probably none what so ever. There was somebody called Sally somebody from the trust who I think has or was moved on.

As to @cotswoldsmanJohn is a top  bloke, he got some really bad shit hurled at him on here for helping the refugees in Calais, some on here even suggesting he was acting illegally by helping the refugees in Calais.

He just ignored all that crap and carried on. At the end of the day he did bigger things than fret about shit on a minor boating forum.

I don't think that disagreeing with him was necessarily "hurling shit at him". We're all entitled to our opinions and if someone voices opinions on a public forum they should expect to be challenged. John's opinions aren't sacrosanct in that respect.

I disagreed with him on several things: I think that refugees should seek asylum in the first safe country that they arrive in as per EU rules, and that allowing the residents of the Jungle easier access to the UK would simply act as an ever greater pull factor encouraging more refugees to make the dangerous journey which is not humanitarian at all. These are logical, reasonable arguments, not hurling shit.

Unfortunately some people seem to think that if their opinions or actions appear to take the moral high ground then anyone who disagrees or questions those opinions is morally unacceptable by default. Hence they call it hurling shit rather than simply disagreeing and discussing. I'm afraid that's just anther example of the new cancel culture.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 5
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't think that disagreeing with him was necessarily "hurling shit at him". We're all entitled to our opinions and if someone voices opinions on a public forum they should expect to be challenged. John's opinions aren't sacrosanct in that respect.

I disagreed with him on several things: I think that refugees should seek asylum in the first safe country that they arrive in as per EU rules, and that allowing the residents of the Jungle easier access to the UK would simply act as an ever greater pull factor encouraging more refugees to make the dangerous journey which is not humanitarian at all. These are logical, reasonable arguments, not hurling shit.

Unfortunately some people seem to think that if their opinions or actions appear to take the moral high ground then anyone who disagrees or questions those opinions is morally unacceptable by default. Hence they call it hurling shit rather than simply disagreeing and discussing. I'm afraid that's just anther example of the new cancel culture.

Indeed!!

I also think that there were and still are a lot more deserving causes closer to home.

Supporting our troops that served in the gulf or Afghanistan would be a my priority before looking elsewhere 

Edited by frangar
  • Angry 1

28 minutes ago, frangar said:

Indeed!!

I also think that there were and still are a lot more deserving causes closer to home.

Supporting our troops that served in the gulf or Afghanistan would be a my priority before looking elsewhere 

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

It wasnt the disagreement, it was the manner of that disagreement. You have misunderstood. 

3 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

If I recall correctly John's work isn't to get refugees to their intended destination but to make their lives tolerable in the camps they end up in, and he has done this all over the world. Calais was where he started 

Exactly. But he was accused on here of 'aiding' illeagal people trafficking, this being the point I was making earlier.

Not that it bothered him of course.

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It wasnt Ripon mate it was Skipton. @howardang was there too. And @Albion 

Not sure now what the point was but reading reports on here about the state of the waterways probably none what so ever. There was somebody called Sally somebody from the trust who I think has or was moved on.

As to @cotswoldsmanJohn is a top  bloke, he got some really bad shit hurled at him on here for helping the refugees in Calais, some on here even suggesting he was acting illegally by helping the refugees in Calais.

He just ignored all that crap and carried on. At the end of the day he did bigger things than fret about shit on a minor boating forum.

Ahhhhh yes Skipton I spose its not far from Ripon :D Iirc your new fangled smart fone found me a hole in the wall so I could get some real money out fort pub :lol:

53 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahhhhh yes Skipton I spose its not far from Ripon :D Iirc your new fangled smart fone found me a hole in the wall so I could get some real money out fort pub :lol:

Yup, correct.

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It's terrible how your memory has faded in old age, old chap. Must be very worrying for you. 🤣

Remember the pints afterwards in The Narrow Boat pub?

Roger

1 hour ago, Albion said:

It's terrible how your memory has faded in old age, old chap. Must be very worrying for you. 🤣

Remember the pints afterwards in The Narrow Boat pub?

Roger

Hi roger

I do indeed old bean :D though I must confess the name of the pub had long since disappeared into the ether. I fink we also had a bite to eat? :cheers:

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi roger

I do indeed old bean :D though I must confess the name of the pub had long since disappeared into the ether. I fink we also had a bite to eat? :cheers:

The Narrowboat name sticks in my memory because of the canal its on. A wide one.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi roger

That was The Aagrah Indian restaurant IIRC,  right on the L&L and about 100 yds from The Narrow Boat. 
Roger

• Happy 1