Is this classic head gasket gone.

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

There are a lot of Mechanic Jack videos on face book fascinating to watch though a lot of comments about his "shortcuts"

I used to spend ages cleaning up the block and head faces with a suitable scraper, never realised I could just run an angle grinder/cup brush over it 😀

There's a brand new 3 cyl Kubota on E bay now, might be your model, £1800 , there's also a 'good runner' for £550 , again, not sure about the model and they were just the first few on the first page. Get a new one, sell yours spares or repair, Job Done

1 hour ago, dmr said:

That's quite impressive.

I did not see them getting the old liners out,, and the adjustment of the rocker clearances looked a bit approximate, but they did look like they knew what they were doing.

Did somebody say its £3000 for an engine rebuild?????

I didn't spot the bit where he took the crankshaft out for a regrind, or even checked the journals for ovality. 

I did skip through it a bit though...

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

I didn't spot the bit where he took the crankshaft out for a regrind, or even checked the journals for ovality. 

I did skip through it a bit though...

There is the concept of a routine rebuild (overhaul?) at about 12,000 hours, pistons, liners and shells, and so its assumed that the crank journals will be ok. They should have done the seals but maybe a bit of oil leakage is ok, or maybe they have some neat trick to get them in without taking the flywheel off 😀

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Having said that. the one from Altham Marine may be what you need but I would want to know exactly what has been done to a partly reconditioned engine. They may accept your scrap engine in PX.

Altham have a good reputation (or did a year or two ago) and I'd use them.if i was in the area. I'm sure if you rang Steve he'd give you the background on it.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, MtB said:

See? Five minute job, rebuilding an engine.

I noticed he missed out the 90 minutes of dicking about sometimes necessary bleeding the fuel system however.... DAMHIK.

No main bearings changed and did he mix up all the big end caps? He certainly mixed the push rods.  Oil pump? Valve grind?

3 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Mechanics have all sorts of tricks. Ever seen a mini drive shaft removed and replaced without spanners?

Tell us more. How do you get the big nut on the CV joint off without a spanner?

I have seen a Transit engine and gearbox removed without any tools at all.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No main bearings changed and did he mix up all the big end caps? He certainly mixed the push rods.  Oil pump? Valve grind?

Tell us more. How do you get the big nut on the CV joint off without a spanner?

I have seen a Transit engine and gearbox removed without any tools at all.

I forgot about the big nut, but after that, it involves a jack and a well placed long lever, and don’t hang around, just swap over the drive shaft.

6 hours ago, Martin Nicholas said:

Also, check the price of a new base engine: http://en.locator.engine.kubota.co.jp/map#Europe. Mostly, the dealers are very helpful. It's unlikely, I'd say, that the Beta bits are broke and for the money spent you get a brand new engine. Give the dealer your serial number, on the block below the injector pump, and they'll quote you.

A new head gasket might be £80 shipped. Check the price for your engine.

That's a lot of water for a blown gasket, as has been said. My guess would be fresh water from a sinking (cruiser stern?). If you are a badass (like Carol, late of Festival Park) you can test it by tasting. Otherwise take samples of the water/oil and coolant and freeze them. Higher tech solutions - probably.

I took the remaining oil and water out today, put it in 3 clear plastic bottles, there was half as much water again in the first bottle.

The boat hasn't been sunk, just suffered from being no TLC because the engine doesnt work. Inside is superbly fitted from new and well maintained

5372024.jpg

5372022.jpg

5372017.jpg

1 hour ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

I took the remaining oil and water out today, put it in 3 clear plastic bottles, there was half as much water again in the first bottle.

The boat hasn't been sunk, just suffered from being no TLC because the engine doesnt work. Inside is superbly fitted from new and well maintained

5372024.jpg

5372022.jpg

5372017.jpg

That's a smart boat, worth buying a new engine for. well done.  Just don't get ripped of with an engine.

Colecraft?  

7 hours ago, MtB said:

See? Five minute job, rebuilding an engine.

I noticed he missed out the 90 minutes of dicking about sometimes necessary bleeding the fuel system however.... DAMHIK.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

God I'm a plonker, I have mentioned before that you cannot get a big spanner on the crankshaft nut because there are just 3 x 14mm nuts on the crankshaft pulley. You cannot see due to the bulkhead and can only feel that any crankshaft nut is flush with the external face of the crankshaft pulley.

Been racking my brain and looking at lots of Betas, they all have a large nut, why doesnt mine?

Well it just dawned on me I have 2 alternators  on an uprated pulley wheel. That covers and projects over the visible  crankshaft nut.

I have been prying the socket on the pulley wheel from an off central positioned / triangulate nuts. The leverage I could give it would be drastically  reduced particularly as I could only get any purchase on the 3 nuts from an awkward angle.

Tomorrow take off pulley wheel and try harder !!!doh!!!!

Engines out, in estimation begins, Beta 28 pictures below.

The crankshaft pulley wheel bolt is quite hidden and had a locking pin inserted  down the length of the bolt, so still cant get a socket on the end of the nut. Never seen one like it before, it obviously stops it working it's way loose.

IMG_20210823_113053.jpg

IMG_20210823_113044.jpg

IMG_20210823_113019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Heads off, very revealing, 3 seized rusted pistons in the block.

Looks as though someone put water in the oil filling cap or similar ?

Replace with a short block, possible reskim, big job to rework and get it serviceable again.

I have decided that it's a better option to go with a beta 28 or beta 30 / straight swap from Altham marine.

They have offered me some discount for it, which is better than nothing at all

I need a courier now to take mine from lichfiel to Accrington and return with the replacement.

Does anyone know a courier that will collect and return an engine.?

Weights approx 130 to 150 kg engine in both directions.

IMG_20210906_143642.jpg

IMG_20210906_143651.jpg

At that weight I would think that it will have to be palleted and loaded with a dolly or fork lift.  Pallet Line? 

So the seller was telling porky pies, that engine has been left standing with water in the bores for a long time and its not from putting water in the oil filler either!

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

Heads off, very revealing, 3 seized rusted pistons in the block.

Looks as though someone put water in the oil filling cap or similar ?

Replace with a short block, possible reskim, big job to rework and get it serviceable again.

I have decided that it's a better option to go with a beta 28 or beta 30 / straight swap from Altham marine.

They have offered me some discount for it, which is better than nothing at all

I need a courier now to take mine from lichfiel to Accrington and return with the replacement.

Does anyone know a courier that will collect and return an engine.?

Weights approx 130 to 150 kg engine in both directions.

IMG_20210906_143642.jpg

IMG_20210906_143651.jpg

That didn't just stop running overnight did it... I know it's been sitting round for a while but I suspect the problem happened a lot longer ago than they were claiming.

Speaking to Steve at Altham marine, he suggests that this can happen if the cauliflower is above the height of the engine, general build up of rust, sludge in the pipes, skin tank,(a general neglect of maintenance, antifreeze,flushing out skin tank etc, or a cracked head will do it)

Judging by the state of the internal pipework, I would be inclined to agree with him.

I changed the prv on the cauliflower last week it was totally sludged up, if that's  anything to go by,then I'm not surprised the engine waterworks are similar.

2 hours ago, Karen Lea Rainey said:

Booked courier with Shiply, lots of quotes received varying from £200 to £380 for both collection and redilivery,  Shoply looks a good website for delivery options. There and back in the same day, so hopefully engine put in and running within a week or so. Whoopeeeeeee.

Shiply are great. 
They arranged pick up of my motorbike from cornwall and delivered to huddersfield. 
It was cheaper than me catching the train down to fetch it myself. 
Really good service. 
Good luck with it all.