Boat sunk in Manchester: Lock 92, Rochdale Canal

rgreg

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Heading up so not a cilling. Perhaps the water flowing over the top gates overcame the well deck drains and entered the cabin.

That seems the most likely cause, unless something got snagged.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Heading up so not a cilling. Perhaps the water flowing over the top gates overcame the well deck drains and entered the cabin.

Even though the Rochdale locks overtop like crazy its still quite difficult to get the water into the well deck, the foredeck takes most of it. If it hits the cill and shoots out its more likely, but one of the photos did suggest that the boat had a cratch which should provide a lot of protection

The Rochdale locks are difficult, there is a lot to go wrong, and lots of distractions from keeping an eye on the boat. We have had numerous slightly nasty moments.

The overtopping water can be very intimidating and quite powerful.

Maybe he stayed right at the back to keep away from the water and something got hooked on the bottom gate?

The Rochdale is one of my favourite waterways but its a hard canal.

Not sure but I don't think there is easy access from one side to the other on that lock if paddles need dropping quickly, I think you have to go over the road bridge at the bottom or risk crossing the top gates (not a good idea).