Please help! Insurance denied because I'm a dual citizen!

kellyjllek

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Kiwidad said:

From what I read, it is not because you are a dual citizen but because you are a citizen of the USA. I am a triple citizen, and have never had an insurance issue! Yes, declared.

So long as you dont mention the Carling Black Label on board you will probably be OK, that will probably be a BSC fail too.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

- the US laws in certain instances cover the UK

Another example is the Nat West Four. They didn't get a huge amount of sympathy because they were filthy rich merchant bankers who make millions out of transactions that ordinary people don't understand. But the US authorities accused them of breaking US financial laws. It was common ground that they were British citizens, and the events which led to the accusations took place on British soil. The British authorities investigated and concluded that no British laws had been broken, and so they weren't charged with any offences here. But the Americans applied to extradite them to face trial in the US, as is their right under the British/US extradition treaty.  So although these British men were innocent in the eyes of British law, they were nevertheless sent to the USA for trial. And faced with decades in prison if convicted, or short sentences if they entered into a plea bargain, is it any surprise they pleaded guilty in court?

So remember that as a British citizen, your actions while you are in this country could see you convicted in America, and the British Government, whose role it is to protect it's own citizens, will let that happen. Is that fair or reasonable?

On 16/08/2021 at 13:04, Loddon said:

Try GJW 

https://www.gjwdirect.com/

They may well cover you 

Yeah looks like gjwdirect will, with very little hassle!  And quite inexpensively too!

But also someone recommend me to a small insurer who seem really on the ball. Their proposal has been in depth and they have communicated very well.   And they are really friendly.   I really want to go with them but fear their cost may be drastically more!  I'm awaiting a quote form them now. 

Much appreciate the recommendations. It seems the citizenship thing is not a widespread issue. 

On 16/08/2021 at 19:38, David Mack said:

The OP hasn't lost any rights. There is no 'right' to insurance, and the insurance company is free to make a commercial decision not to provide cover to particular individuals (providing they don't breach equality law).

I think what the corporate double speak is saying is that under US law insurance companies worldwide have legal obligations to US citizens, wherever they may be, and N&G cannot be certain that they comply with those obligations. The problem arises because US law claims such global coverage, even though that may seem unreasonable to us.

The OP may be better with an insurance company with stronger US links.

It might also be as simple as cost.

I remember an insurer contacting a company I worked for wondering if we had any stats on the nationalities of passengers travelling on different airlines, with a particular focus on proportion of US citizens. Why? Because US legal rights and culture made payouts related to American passengers much, much more expensive. 

Edited by enigmatic

6 hours ago, Loddon said:

I've been with GJW for about 20 years, always fair, always competitive and pay out in the event of a claim, unlike one that I can't mention because there will be a pile on if I do.

Also I noticed on my GJW renewal, their requirement for a survey is every 10 years. I am sure previously it was 5. (1985 build NB)