Gas Cooker - domestic / marine

Featured Posts

Hi All, so the gas oven in our boat needs to be replaced - apparently it failed the safety inspection in 2013 but was never addressed. I have looked at some very fancy boat cookers but they also have very fancy price tags. The information about what you can and can not use is somewhat confusing - is there a dummy's guide to buying a gas cooker for a boat? 

• Greenie 1

All gas cookers "suitable for boats" come with fancy price tags. Choose one from Midland Chandlers to be on the safe side. 

Otherwise, make sure you buy one with "flame supervision" on all burners (most have anyway nowadays) and suitable for LPG gas, and you'll be fine. 

Probably. (Because we don't know what standards apply to boats in Ireland.)

Questions which all need to be answered yes:

Will it fit in your space?

Are flammable things far enough away when it is in use?

Is it available with LPG jets?

Are ALL the  burners fitted with flame failure/supervision devices?

Is your existing gas pipe big enough to supply it without excessive pressure drop, with all the burners going at full blast?

Can you get it into the boat?

Have you got someone competent to fit it, or are you competent to do that?

Do you have a suitable power supply for any igniters, fans  etc?

N

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not helpful to a new boater is it.

When I saw the OP I was tempted to suggest that Alan* would be along with some very helpful advice and information, but didn't want to inflate his ego more than it already is.

In the event, Alan* came along, and I actually thought, "What a tw*t!"

*That's Alan de Enfield, if anyone wasn't sure who I meant ;) 

• Happy 1

Check out the rules in Ireland for working on gas on a boat. In the UK, there is a Gas Safe Register and in addition, a fitter being paid will need extra qualifications for LPG and for doing gas work on a boat, with severe penalties if something goes wrong should the person not be qualified.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Check out the rules in Ireland for working on gas on a boat.

Seconded. They will be different from here.

25 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

and in addition, a fitter being paid will need extra qualifications for LPG and for doing gas work on a boat,

Only part true. Here in the UK any ol' unqualified Tom, Dick or Harry can install your cooker if it is in a leisure boat. The above only applies if you live aboard. 

4 hours ago, Mel Good said:

apparently it failed the safety inspection in 2013 but was never addressed.

This doesn't really ring true. If the safety inspection in Ireland is anything like here then the boat would not have been able to have been licensed. 

We can't really advise you as we are in the UK. We can only tell you about UK regulations. 

13 hours ago, MtB said:

This doesn't really ring true. If the safety inspection in Ireland is anything like here then the boat would not have been able to have been licensed. 

We can't really advise you as we are in the UK. We can only tell you about UK regulations. 

Could have failed and the pipe disconnected and capped off, then the boat might pass depending on the rules in Ireland.

what I am learning quickly is that there is a lot to learn about boats and little is ever straight forward. Thanks all for the replies I am a little wiser - going to lean heavily on our mechanic who will hopefully guide us in the right direction