Tranquil Rose

Heartland

Featured Posts

Whilst this vessel has appeared on the Forum, I was interested to discover the routes Tranquil Rose was used as a hotel boat. With a beam of 12ft 6in that would be a limit to certain navigations such as the East Midlands. 

I used to see Tranquil Rose regularly on the eastern end of the K&A twenty years ago. It used to amaze me that they always seemed able to find a mooring, often well into the evening. In January 2006 I agreed to the re-build of Helvetia's engine being delayed when the engine in Tranquil Rose needed urgent attention. 

53 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I used to see Tranquil Rose regularly on the eastern end of the K&A twenty years ago. It used to amaze me that they always seemed able to find a mooring, often well into the evening. In January 2006 I agreed to the re-build of Helvetia's engine being delayed when the engine in Tranquil Rose needed urgent attention. 

I expect the captain of the boat bullied his way onto a mooring.

20 hours ago, Heartland said:

Whilst this vessel has appeared on the Forum, I was interested to discover the routes Tranquil Rose was used as a hotel boat. With a beam of 12ft 6in that would be a limit to certain navigations such as the East Midlands. 

In the early seventies Tranquil Rose was to attend a rally on the Erewash in Ilkeston. In spite of the best efforts of numerous people it was not possible to get through the bridge below Stanton lock; dropping the pond put her on the bottom and on weir there was insufficient clearance. Things have improved since then.

39 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

I expect the captain of the boat bullied his way onto a mooring.

I have no recollection of any "bullying" but they did often choose an odd spot which could have caused an obstruction to other boats. But the K&A was fairly quiet in those days, and Tranquil Rose always seemed to move off quite eary in the morning.

Edited by David Schweizer

59 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I have no recollection of any "bullying" but they did often choose an odd spot which could have caused an obstruction to other boats. But the K&A was fairly quiet in those days, and Tranquil Rose always seemed to move off quite eary in the morning.

Sadly I did experience some bullying from the captain as did his passengers.

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I used to see Tranquil Rose regularly on the eastern end of the K&A twenty years ago. It used to amaze me that they always seemed able to find a mooring, often well into the evening. 

I never had a problem finding a mooring anywhere on the K&A including its eastern end in 2013. Why would it be any more difficult than finding a mooring for the same length narrow boat? 

I don't know about Tranquil Rose but my 12ft widebeam only draws 2ft 2in so I can get in anywhere a narrow boat can - unless we're talking about particularly narrow stretches of canal or moorings with boats on both sides which I would avoid.

2 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

Sadly I did experience some bullying from the captain as did his passengers.

Not such a tranquil skipper then? 

Edited by blackrose

Tranquil Rose came along Limehouse cut towards the river Lea a couple of hours ago. 

I like seeing that boat around. It's a good one. 

Years ago it had a 3 pot air cooled Lister in it. ST or more likely a bigger our perhaps an HR3.  A bit smokey I think it was repowered some time ago. 

Edited by magnetman

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I never had a problem finding a mooring anywhere on the K&A including its eastern end in 2013. Why would it be any more difficult than finding a mooring for the same length narrow boat? 

By 2013 I understand that things had improved considerably.  But back in 1998 it was almost impossible to get anywhere near the densly overgrown bank in many places, and a gang plank with a minimum length of 8ft was essential cruising equipment. Very few swing bridges were accesible from the towpath, with dense undergrowth often preventing landing on the offside, and many of the locks did not have a landing stage, often requiring you to moor in a bridge hole and walk to the lock! As I said, the K&A was fairly quiet in those days so the chance of hindering another boat was fairly remote. After a few years of struggling with the K&A, I got fed up with it and moved to the Midlands, where the canals were busier but easier to single hand.

Edited by David Schweizer

40 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

By 2013 I understand that things had improved considerably.  But back in 1998 it was almost impossible to get anywhere near the densly overgrown bank in many places, and a gang plank with a minimum length of 8ft was essential cruising equipment. Very few swing bridges were accesible from the towpath, with dense undergrowth often preventing landing on the offside, and many of the locks did not have a landing stage, often requiring you to moor in a bridge hole and walk to the lock! 

Ok, I obviously misunderstood your point that you were amazed to see any boat mooring there, not because it wwas a widebeam. I assume narrow boats weren't able to moor easily in those places on the eastern end of the K&A either - late into the evening or otherwise?

Edited by blackrose

43 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok, I obviously misunderstood your point that you were amazed to see any boat mooring there, not because it wwas a widebeam. I assume narrow boats weren't able to moor easily in those places on the eastern end of the K&A either - late into the evening or otherwise?

There were only a handful of places where you might expect to get a reasonable mooring, (taken from my Log)  Devizes, Hungerford, Kintbury, and Newbury, or away from the bank and with some difficulty, Burghfield lock, Great Bedwyn, Wooton Rivers, Aldermaston, Froxfield, and Theale.

19 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

If it’s the original Tranquil Rose it’s doing well. I think it started on the Trent and Mersey turning at Stenson Marina. How did they get it South, presumably by truck.

If it has an off centre stem post then it is the original.