Prop shaft nut

Featured Posts

I have a bronze 19” prop on a narrow boat stainless steel shaft from 3LW 

That came with Brass nut and brass washer 

How do you all lock the nut 

I am thinking of changing nut only to a Stainless steel Nyloc nut any reason as to why not 

thank you 

24 minutes ago, Maudesmaster said:

I have a bronze 19” prop on a narrow boat stainless steel shaft from 3LW 

That came with Brass nut and brass washer 

How do you all lock the nut 

I am thinking of changing nut only to a Stainless steel Nyloc nut any reason as to why not 

thank you 

I would but also drill immediately behind the nut and stick a stainless split pin through it. That would also go some way to locking the brass nut and stop it falling off if it ever worked loose.

Stainless nuts on stainless threads are prone to all sorts of trouble if the water has the wrong characteristics  The crevices between the two threads can become a low oxygen environment which destroys the protective oxide layer on the stainless, so it rapidly corrodes away.  Sometimes it is the male thread, sometimes it is the female.  Neither is good news.   Stainless nuts on stainless threads are also prone to galling.

Keep the brass nut and drill it and the shaft for a stainless or bronze split pin.  About 1/8 dia split pin on a 1 1/2 in shaft is usual.

A tab washer would be OK too  provided there is some method of stopping it rotating, and they don't  pick up weeds and cr@p like a split pin can.

OTOH   chandlers stock split pins, but not tab washers AFAIK.

Blackrose's first pic looks OK because the anti rotation bit should go into the keyway.  The second pic has no obvious method of stopping it rotating with the nut.

N