Err makes me look lije a marine engineer

Tom766

Featured Posts

Someone fitted the hull fitting 6" below the water line 😳. 

This is supposed to let petrol spills drain out of a tray into the canal.. 

I'm going to spend a day filling the crazed gel coat anyway. 

I've raised the petrol can tray 10"

48 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Someone fitted the hull fitting 6" below the water line 😳. 

This is supposed to let petrol spills drain out of a tray into the canal.. 

I'm going to spend a day filling the crazed gel coat anyway. 

I've raised the petrol can tray 10"

I have 14 hull fittings of which 10 are below the water line but I don't fill up with water - there must be more to it than that.

I very much doubt that the BSS allows for petrol spills to be intentionaly allowed to drain into the canal.

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I very much doubt that the BSS allows for petrol spills to be intentionaly allowed to drain into the canal.

It allows diesel spills, why not petrol? It would evaporate off quicker than diesel. I always thought it weird that the spill guard on the diesel filler has to direct any spill back into the cut rather than the boat.

I spoke to the examiner just before posting my message. 

He states that, and its mentioned on my paperwork, Hull fittings aren't part of the scheme, but, regulations say that a portable petrol tank must not be capable of spilling into the boat, instead into the canal. 

I can't think of any reason to put an open fitting below the water line other than to sink you. 

5 hours ago, Tom766 said:

regulations say that a portable petrol tank must not be capable of spilling into the boat, instead into the canal. 

This actually makes sense. A petrol spill overboard is bad, a spill in to the boat is very bad. Kaboom! A diesel spill in to a boat isn't as bad as one in to the cut, so any spilt diesel should hopefully end up in the bund under the engine, where it is highly unlikely to catch fire, let alone explode. The BSS priority is safety first, then environment.

21 hours ago, Tom766 said:

snip

The boat has been low in the water, I recon the living space bilge was holding about 4 gals

Is that all, I doubt it would affect the waterline to a noticeable extent. Think how thick 4 gallons would be if spread out over the hull at the waterline, because that is how far down 4 gallons would push it.

13 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is that all, I doubt it would affect the waterline to a noticeable extent. Think how thick 4 gallons would be if spread out over the hull at the waterline, because that is how far down 4 gallons would push it.

Or, consider that the weight of 4 gallons is about the same as a full toilet cassette, or jerry can, or, less than a 13kg gas cylinder.

True. Was enough to come up n soak the carpet though, maybe I'm not reaching what's in the vee section, the inspection hole only goes down a couple of inches then bottoms out into fibreglass. 

1 hour ago, Tom766 said:

True. Was enough to come up n soak the carpet though, maybe I'm not reaching what's in the vee section, the inspection hole only goes down a couple of inches then bottoms out into fibreglass. 

Is your cruiser one where there is an outer and inner moulding? If so, there may be a void below the inner moulding.

Like most attempts to vac all the water out it keeps re appearing as is seeps rearward. Still, I've been busy raising the tank tray 10" and making a new HIGH outlet. 

Also been grinding out all the spider cracks in the Hull as piece of mind seeing as the boats out of the water.. 

IMG_20210815_141202.jpg

1 minute ago, Tom766 said:

I'd say there's a double skin down there, I'm avoiding the urge to drill the inspection hole deeper though. 

Very wise, but if it's out of the water now is the time to investigate

If what you look down on is smooth gel coat, then it is probably an inner moulding. If you can see the strands of glass mat, then it's probably the hull. Note "probably" because I can't be 100% certain.

It's rough fibreglass and is in no way hollow sounding when I hit it, sounds solid. 

Theres a 'keel' below that probably runs below the area of the inspection hole ( not measured where it ends). 

Many smaller GRP boats have a drain hole at the lowest point of the transom, going thru the transom and into the keel cavity - if you don't have one its easy enough to fit, simply drill a hole and fit one of these :

Round Black Drain Socket With 4-Holes and Plug/Bung - Dinghy Boating Sailing J36

Bit of mastic and 4x stainless steel screws and Bob' your mothers brother.

Every year when you lift out for antifouling just unscrew the bung and drain the boat down.

15 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Another good idea, I'll have to try and work out if drilling will lead into the void below floor level or just end up into solid fibre... 🤔

Very unlikely to be slid fibre in my experience  (too expensive) more likely to be filled with balsa wood or paper rope. There had to be something to support the glass mat a sit was laid up over the void.