Towing

Milzy Collinson

Featured Posts

Hi all, hoping to get a narrow boat in very near future, just doing my research so please expect lots if irritatingly dumb questions. Actually,  one popped into my head earlier......are boats allowed to 'tow' anything ?? I see boats with all manner of things on the roof, bikes, coal, wood etc. Are we allowed to tow  for eg, a dinghy to store stuff in ??

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Sorry to be a pedant, but a boat used for storage is not a tender. 
A tender is a boat used to transit from main boat to shore, always used within sight of the mothership. 

So what's a tender called if like mine it's also used to store a few boat ancillaries?

If it’s expensive to buy does that make it a bit coin? 

met a guy near Dundas aqueduct 2 years ago with a towable duck house, it actually seemed a good idea let the ducks roam then when it’s time to move closing the mesh gates shut them in. Not sure it fitted into CC edicts or any else for that matter 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milzy Collinson said:

Soooooooo, things can be stored in a dinghy, for eg bike, coal, logs etc.

I'm then assuming when I go off on a trip I could leave the dinghy at the mooring 🤷‍♂️. Yes yes the theft issue, but I 'could' ?? 

It is possible at some moorings to have a small shed, or other store, suitable for the items you are thinking about. Depends on who runs it. I currently have a lockable store which I use, but don't depend on it. I could move to another mooring without. Bikes are stored inside, which I can do as the internal layout was designed with that in mind. Not possible on many boats, but it is better for preventing rust and a little more secure. Little and often for buying coal can be an option for some, but not for others. I'd say get a boat and a mooring first, then see what, if any extra storage you really need.

Jen

• Happy 1

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

Some people are such pedants for correct terminology that they confuse themselves and the words they end up using don't make much sense to the rest of us and probably aren't correct anyway.

Was that for my "store tender" suggestion, it had been a tongue in cheek remark as a pun on a shop keeper, but since I didn't add a funny emoticon it possibly fell flat.  I should probably stop doing that. 

On 13/08/2021 at 20:37, blackrose said:

So what's a tender called if like mine it's also used to store a few boat ancillaries?

I suppose you could call it whatever you want. If it's also used for storage then in strictness it is not a tender and would require a separate licence. But I am only relaying CRT's guidance so don't shoot the messenger!