Sowerby bridge to Ashton, or vice versa.

Neil2

Featured Posts

We sold our boat a while ago and decided to use hire boats to mop up the bits of the network we haven't done.

The Rochdale/Ashton we can do one way, though we don't find out which way round until Shire cruisers know for certain which base the boat will end up at from the previous week's hire.

It will be first week in Oct so it's going to be tight, but even if we have to turn back at least we'll have done some of the route.

Just looking for any advice on good or places to stay overnight, or to avoid, and any other advice from those familiar with these canals.  We've done the entire HNC and some say the Rochdale is worse, some say easier. 

On 13/08/2021 at 13:24, Neil2 said:

We sold our boat a while ago and decided to use hire boats to mop up the bits of the network we haven't done.

The Rochdale/Ashton we can do one way, though we don't find out which way round until Shire cruisers know for certain which base the boat will end up at from the previous week's hire.

It will be first week in Oct so it's going to be tight, but even if we have to turn back at least we'll have done some of the route.

Just looking for any advice on good or places to stay overnight, or to avoid, and any other advice from those familiar with these canals.  We've done the entire HNC and some say the Rochdale is worse, some say easier. 

Some of this might be helpful...

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/92760-south-pennine-ring-trip-and-pubfood-report/

Note that the access to Thomas Telford basin is now by keyfob not code so if you stay there you'll be locked in, and the Jolly Sailor in Ducie Street is now closed... 😞

Edited by IanD

Rochdale summit is spectacular but watch out for the Wolves. The first/last decent mooring before/after Manchester is the Rose of Lancaster pub near the Irk aqueduct.

Going west the usual tactic is to leave early. You can stay overnight at Islington marina or there's a safe mooring just under the bridge at the junction. I also know some boaters who have stayed in the Thomas Telford basin and asked the locals for the gate lock combination. We usually aim to get to the junction by 1pm then after a sandwich break head down the 'Nine' to Castlefield. Facilities in Manchester a scarce. 

Going East there's good moorings at Slattocks, Smithy Bridge, and Littleborough. On the Yorkshire side there's more choice but the most popular are at Walsden, Todmorden, Stubbings Wharf, Hebden Bridge  and of course Sowerby Bridge.

The Ashton used to be a real grot-spot but it's a lot better now. Normally hard work but a relief after you have done the Rochdale the day before.

Edited by Midnight

19 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Rochdale summit is spectacular but watch out for the Wolves. The first/last decent mooring before/after Manchester is the Rose of Lancaster pub near the Irk aqueduct.

Going west the usual tactic is to leave early. You can stay overnight at Islington marina or there's a safe mooring just under the bridge at the junction. I also know some boaters who have stayed in the Thomas Telford basin and asked the locals for the gate lock combination. We usually aim to get to the junction by 1pm then after a sandwich break head down the 'Nine' to Castlefield. Facilities in Manchester a scarce.

Going East there's good moorings at Slattocks, Smithy Bridge, and Littleborough. On the Yorkshire side there's more choice but the most popular are at Walsden, Todmorden, Stubbings Wharf, Hebden Bridge  and of course Sowerby Bridge.

We stayed at Thomas Telford in 2017 with a gate code from a friendly resident, but somebody posted more recently that access is now by keyfob so you can't get in or out -- see my post above.

[I haven't confirmed this and now can't find where I read about this change, maybe somebody else can confirm?]

Edited by IanD

5 minutes ago, Midnight said:

The Boat and Horses at Chadderton is nearer the top of the Manchester 18 and fine for an overnight mooring. You can moor right outside.

You can't moor outside the Rose of Lancaster as the bank has collapsed. There are better moorings a short walk away either side of the Irk aqueduct.

And there is an excellent Indian takeaway across the bridge from the Rose. Our standard port of call ever since the Rose refused to provide us with a meal when their website said they were serving food for another half hour. I think the duty manager had trained at Fawlty Towers - his staff were clearly embarrassed by his behaviour!

43 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The Boat and Horses at Chadderton is nearer the top of the Manchester 18 and fine for an overnight mooring. You can moor right outside.

You can't moor outside the Rose of Lancaster as the bank has collapsed. There are better moorings a short walk away either side of the Irk aqueduct.

And there is an excellent Indian takeaway across the bridge from the Rose. Our standard port of call ever since the Rose refused to provide us with a meal when their website said they were serving food for another half hour. I think the duty manager had trained at Fawlty Towers - his staff were clearly embarrassed by his behaviour!

You can also get right into the bank next to the aqueduct, unlike all the other places we tried near the pub -- and that was before any bank collapse...

The Rose was fine when we were there in 2017, decent standard pub grub and beer (Lees) but nothing special. Like any other pub, whether it's the same 4 years later is an unknown.

Edited by IanD

11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Anywhere you can find a mooring in Piccadilly Village is fine overnight. No need to look for refuge in a gated area. 

(For the record: it was the Jolly Angler in Dulcie Street.)

So it was -- for the record, in Ducie Street 😉

It's gone now though 😞

https://confidentials.com/manchester/the-jolly-angler-manchester-pub-to-close

Edited by IanD

Thanks for all the advice guys, exactly what I was after. 

Does anyone know what the arrangements are for staying at new Islington Marina?  Can't see a contact telephone number anywhere. 

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Thanks for all the advice guys, exactly what I was after. 

Does anyone know what the arrangements are for staying at new Islington Marina?  Can't see a contact telephone number anywhere. 

I've never stayed there but have seen boats just pull up on the left in the entrance channel. I think it's free but maybe a local on here will confirm that.

45 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I've never stayed there but have seen boats just pull up on the left in the entrance channel. I think it's free but maybe a local on here will confirm that.

38 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It’s free if you just pull up and use the rings outside the entrance. 
service block too, with a nice shower. 

I thought so, doesn't look like there's any on site presence so charging would be difficult.