a battery charging question [as in 'why won't it?']

Wittenham

Featured Posts

If you don't want to, or are not happy 'fiddling about with wires' you can get a simple 3-pin plug that you simply plug into the socket and it gives you a display of faults.

Other makes, prices and suppliers are available :

Advanced Automatic Electric Outlet Tester Power Socket Socket Voltage Wire Test | eBay

Automatic Electric Socket Tester Outlet Tester Polarity Check Meter Neutral Live Earth Wire Testing with UK Plug : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

71NFdwFhEvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm  not sure there's much point until you address the suggestions about polarity-checking, made previously.

Or maybe you have and I missed it, in which case I apologise.  

It is almost certainly my lack of understanding... where would the reversed polarity be in the system?

from the grid side:

Northumberland grid connection --> dongle --> original cable --> van consumer unit --> suspect charger = it all works 

changing it to:

Oxfordshire grid connection --> original cable --> van consumer unit --> suspect charger = it does not work 

different Oxfordshire grid connection --> original cable --> van consumer unit --> suspect charger = it does not work 

Oxfordshire grid connection --> different cable --> suspect charger = it does not work 

different Oxfordshire grid connection --> different cable --> suspect charger = it does not work 

a third different Oxfordshire grid connection --> different cable --> suspect charger = it does not work 

Finally, is testing for reverse polarity, something that a [rank] amateur can do?

many thanks

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you don't want to, or are not happy 'fiddling about with wires' you can get a simple 3-pin plug that you simply plug into the soket and it gives you a display of faults.

Other makes, prices and suppliers are available :

Automatic Electric Socket Tester Outlet Tester Polarity Check Meter Neutral Live Earth Wire Testing with UK Plug : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

71NFdwFhEvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just answered one of my questions, thank you.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - get a plug tester. Simples.

A plug tester only tests the 13A socket, rather than directly checking polarity at the input terminals of the charger. But plugging it into the socket that works and discovering the polarity there is correct, would suffice to confirm polarity inside the charge is correct too. 

Then go to the sockets that don't work, and use the same plug tester to test them.

"Plug tester" here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Martindale-CP501-Socket-Tester-Blue/dp/B003OHDFSA/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=socket+and+see&qid=1629023879&sr=8-9

61JnqbmHWCL._SL1001_.jpg

15 minutes ago, Wittenham said:

It is almost certainly my lack of understanding... where would the reversed polarity be in the system?

from the grid side:

Northumberland grid connection --> dongle --> original cable --> van consumer unit --> suspect charger = it all works 

changing it to:

Oxfordshire grid connection --> original cable --> van consumer unit --> suspect charger = it does not work 

different Oxfordshire grid connection --> original cable --> van consumer unit --> suspect charger = it does not work 

The dongle makes it work from that list.

As suggested above, you might have reversed connections both in the dongle and in the van so they cancel each other out.

If the plug is wired correctly (photos please!) it's possible that the charger itself is incorrectly wired, especially if all other things work in the van.  Photos of the charger connection as well please.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The dongle makes it work from that list.

As suggested above, you might have reversed connections both in the dongle and in the van so they cancel each other out.

If the plug is wired correctly (photos please!) it's possible that the charger itself is incorrectly wired, especially if all other things work in the van.  Photos of the charger connection as well please.

Thanks TB and i bypassed all of the van connections for some of the scenarios and plugged directly into a cable coming from three separate Oxfordshire sources . From what you have said, some combination of two of [1] the dongle, [2] the charger, and [3] the Northumberland connection are reversed and cancelled each other out.  I will take photos of the dongle and the charger.  So that I am clear, that means unscrewing the cover plate and showing how the three wires are connected? 

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Has the OP yet measured or had his supply voltage measured?

He's tried a few different supplies, and that charger should be able to handle anything between 90 and 265 volts input.

A flashing red and one lit load bar is error reporting mode, but a solid red light means it's in standby according to the manual - does it just need switching on?

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

A flashing red and one lit load bar is error reporting mode, but a solid red light means it's in standby according to the manual - does it just need switching on?

...that would be seriously embarrassing... I don't think so, but I will go try that in a minute.

Meanwhile, here are the pictures.

standard three pin end of dongle.jpg

business end of dongle.jpg

three pin plug from charger.jpg

The easy way to remember it is , you go blue when you are dead, and poo brown when you are alive. (You'll never forget that now that brain worm seed has been sewn)

Therefore the Brown wires are the Live and should be connected to the terminals marked L, leaving the 'dead' (Blue) wire to go into the N terminal.

Your wiring looks fine to me.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

There is no apparent switch, other than the one that moves into set up mode... pushing that has it flicker green, but does not enter set up.  The button did take me to set up when the charger was working [I set the battery type].

Any thoughts on the polarity question?  I note that the adaptor has the brown wire on the left pin, whilst the charger has it on the right - not sure if that is an issue?

1 minute ago, Wittenham said:

Any thoughts on the polarity question?  I note that the adaptor has the brown wire on the left pin, whilst the charger has it on the right - not sure if that is an issue?

Don't forget that plugs and sockets are mirror images of each other.

If the Brown goes to the L terminal its good to go.

4 hours ago, Wittenham said:

...that would be seriously embarrassing... I don't think so, but I will go try that in a minute.

Meanwhile, here are the pictures.

standard three pin end of dongle.jpg

business end of dongle.jpg

three pin plug from charger.jpg

The 13amp plug looks fine. However looking at the back of the socket with the earth (green/yellow) at the top the brown wire should be on the left in the terminal L+ I suspect it might not be😱

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

The 13amp plug looks fine. However looking at the back of the socket with the earth (green/yellow) at the top the brown wire should be on the left in the terminal L+ I suspect it might not be😱

Have you been sniffing brown sauce again?  Its a socket, its correct.  The blue 16A Rayrolle is a plug so still correct.

I was considering a neutral earth cross over with an open circuit earth but that now seems not to be the case.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

The brown wire on the black socket looks like it’s starting to burn by the connection maybe loose or it’s my eye sight.

The white plug top looks like it could do with refitting, wires loose?

The blue one, cannot see if correct wires go to the correct connections you’ll have to check i.e. brown to live blue to neutral yellow/ green to earth.

All worth a check if all ok I think the charger is faulty.

51 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Have you been sniffing brown sauce again?  Its a socket, its correct.  The blue 16A Rayrolle is a plug so still correct.

I said socket not plug 😱  Looking at the BACK (the side where the cable goes in) when the earth is on top the live is on the left. What's wrong about that ?

Looks to me if that blue connector that was pictured is a socket it's wrong if it's a plug it's correct

I have enclosed a picture of a correctly wired socket for those unable to grasp what I was saying.

IMG_20210815_182332277.jpg

UPDATE... it is working and the good reputation of the quality of Oxfordshire electrons is preserved.

I am a bit perplexed, though... and realise in retrospect i should have added another fact.  The camper [actually a demountable that sits on the back of a pickup truck] is from Sweden, and has a Swedish consumer unit.  Is it possible that has a different wiring set up than British? The polarity checker found a problem with the CU, although that may have been introduced by the adaptor used to fit the round pin socket?  The rest of the sockets in and out of the van checked out correctly.

My confusion is because this morning I ran a separate cable in to the van, bypassing the Swedish CU and... the charger turned on and went to work.  Except I had done the same thing the other day and it did not work, including from the neighbour's house.  Perhaps the batteries were charged  and the charger does go to standby after float?  Except that I also ran the fridge for several hours to bring the batteries down a bit and that did not get the charger going...?  😐

So, thanks all for the help and the lessons on what polarity means, etc.

• Greenie 2