Middlewitch to llangollen and back in a week.

angelasoldman

Featured Posts

Good evening everyone, I am after some advice please.

On Friday next week my wife and I plus two friends are hiring a boat for a week.

My wife and I have done the four counties ring twice with our kids in a week, also the severn ring in a week, and most recently (10 years ago) we did Middlewitch to Llangollen and back in a week with our kids. So we have some experience.

The friends we are going with have not done canal holidays before but I have no doubt they will pick it up.

So we are hoping to get to Llangollen and back in the week.

Is this reasonable this year and what has changed in the 10 years since we last did it ?

We start at 3.00pm on the Friday, and wish to eat out once or twice, which pubs are still open and which do you recommend - I guess we will need to book.

We don't mind early starts and long days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Max.

Bearing in mind it's quicker coming back down the Llangollen, I'd go for it  and turn round at the end of the fourth day wherever you are. Most of the locks are easy enough but the Grindley Brook staircase may have you waiting a while. 8 to 10 hour days though I should think, but with a crew and decent weather ok.

Check the CanalPlan website, you can put in your trip and start and finish days and get a rough idea.

I can't give specific advice as have not been up the Llangollen for many years.

Its a busy canal.

Currently/recently on the Macc, T&M, Cov, N&S Oxford and the canals are all incredibly busy this year, more than I have ever seen, so expect delays and congestion.

Good canalside pubs, or any good pubs, are getting harder and harder to find, but please support any good ones.

............Dave

image.png

The Barbridge at the junction is OK - if it's open. You can moor outside... I booked a meal on my last trip and found the chef had just been isolated because of Covid when I got there.

And you have to pay to moor at Llangollen now, about a fiver a night. I presume hire boats have to as well as us.

We are on the Llangollen at the moment, and have been to the end.  The only place we’re were held up at all was Grindley Brook, a couple of hours.  We were lucky with New Marton both ways, but when we went up there were a lot of boats waiting to come down.  So if you can get your timing correct for these two locations, you can save hours of waiting.  Which basically means transiting early or late.