Route recommendation - Stratford to Warwick via Stourport

fer

Featured Posts

On 16/08/2021 at 18:50, john6767 said:

Have the narrow locks reopened at Stourport?  We had to go up the wide ones, and boy are they hard work! 

No, they are still doing works on them.

I had to take the wide ones too. Hard work, but not that much compared with some in the south Stratford :) But blimey, the top lock took forever to fill up.

On 16/08/2021 at 17:57, fatmanblue said:

You can do Tewkesbury to Stourport in a day if you start early enough. The stretch to Worcester is not the most interesting, the upper bit to Stourport is nicer. The Severn feels very large when you come out of the Avon and see the Mythe bridge.

Without counting the locks to enter or exit the Severn: From the Severn level in Tewkesbury to Worcester was 4 hours. Worcester to Stourport was 3.5 hours. Nonetheless, the river was in green and quite still. I guess I could have done it in a day, but I just like Worcester too much and thought it would be a shame not to stop for the day.

Having previously done the Severn from Tewkesbury to Worcester in the rain, which was very miserable, I found it most enjoyable this time around. And the upper bit is fantastic and very bucolic at places. Not to be missed.

Loved the rivers. Bit of a shock to go back to the canals. Nevertheless the S&W is quite a pretty one. Staying at Kinver for the night.

Cheers