Route recommendation - Stratford to Warwick via Stourport

fer

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I'm currently in Stratford and have to make my way back to Warwick in the next few weeks. So the plan is to go down the Avon and up the Severn... And that is the plan so far...
Any help and suggestions for a fun/pleasant/textured/non-problematic route will be most welcome.

I have taken a few days off from work and have got a bit of help for three or four days to do the river bits. After that, I will be on my own and working (from the boat) so priority for moorings will be a strong mobile signal. I might move a bit during the week, but most likely to cruise during the weekend or take days off. I am more than happy to do 10 hours or more per day, so can cover a good distance in two days. Mainly looking for an enjoyable and textured route to cruise, and an idea of some good safe locations to stop during the week.

This is what I got so far:
Day 1: Down the Avon as far as I can. Wyre Lock or a bit further.
Day 2: Worcester. Race course moorings.? As far as I can remember, there were plenty moorings there and they were free? Other suggestions welcomed...
Day 3: Passed Stourport and somewhere in the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. Canal plan suggests around Cookley.
Is there anything I need to know about the Severn locks, or is it like Diglis Lock where you just call the lock keeper to let him know you are on your way?

Now, the difficult bit, too many options..
1- Should I follow all the way to Aldersley Junction to join the Main Line, or should I take the Stourbridge Canal instead.
2 - Birmingham Main Line or the Wolverhampton Level.
3 - North Stratford or Grand Union to reach Kingswood Junction. I'm pretty sure I read in the past that the North Stratford was most enjoyable?

I know is all a little vague, but any route suggestions and advise will be most welcome.

Thanks

We went up the Stourbridge a couple of weeks ago, having gone out of Droitwich and up to Stourport, and very nice it was too. Water was crystal clear, saw very few boats until we got to Delph. Not so many places to stop, but it was during the mad heatwave temperatures so we were being picky trying to find places under trees, I think we ended up stopping about half a mile short of the bottom Stourbridge lock. All the locks were easy to work, and we thought the Stourbridge flight was quite an interesting flight to work up. 

Didn't seem to be an issue finding good moorings on the S&W. There were a lot stopped near Wolverley, and the pub looked ok. We stopped a bit further on than Cookley, more towards Whittington lock, as we wanted to walk to Kinver for a day and had a feeling that the visitor moorings nearer there would be rammed (they were). Very quiet and plenty of space where we stopped.

We'll be going back to do it in a more leisurely fashion soon as we only had a limited time, so were putting in some long days.

• Greenie 1

Worcester race course moorings aren't free, you are supposed to purchase a ticket from the car park machine.

I would go up the Stourbridge rather than Wolverhampton and then Stratford rather than GU.  You might need an extra day from Stratford to Worcester.

1 hour ago, fer said:

This is what I got so far:
Day 1: Down the Avon as far as I can. Wyre Lock or a bit further.
Day 2: Worcester. Race course moorings.?

That would be Week 1 if not Week 1&2 for me!  At that rate you might as well consider the Ribble Link to the Lancaster Canal!

As said, Worcester Racecourse moorings do have a charge. Worcester to Stourport is only half a day's cruise even at my pace so easily fits your plan.

Do I read this as Stratford to Worcester in 2 days, way too far!

As said, you pay for the racecourse moorings at the car park machine, £4 I think last time I stopped there.  There is the CRT pontoon above the river lock at Diglis if there is space takes perhaps 5 boats max.

You don’t have to call the river locks, other than Gloucester of course, and based on our trip from Gloucester to Stourport a month ago, only Gloucester seems to be using VHF.  I heard it was because they are using volunteer that are not trained, but I suspect at least some have it turned on as even though I got no reply the locks were mostly ready when I arrived.

Personally I would go Stourbridge, and then W&B/North Stratford.

Thank you all for your replies. 

The Stourbridge it is! 🙂

That takes me into Netherton tunnel to join the Birmingham Main Line. And then down the Stratford to join the Grand Union at Kingswood Junction and make my way back to Braunston.

So the route is there. Now I will have to do some research to get the timings right and find some nice places to stop for the week.

Regarding timings...

A few years back I did Stratford to Wyre lock in 10 hours, Wyre Lock to Tewksbury in 5 hours. And Tewksbury to Worcester in 5 hours. So was hoping I could make it in two days (10 hours eaach) to Worcester. I'm not used to rivers and find looking for moorings quite stressful. What would be the best stops from Stratford to Stourport? 

Thanks for the info about Worcester racecourse charge. The only reason I chose this mooring is because I remember there being plenty space there.

On the upper Avon (Stratford to Evesham) there are nice mooring at many of the locks, my guide is on the boat but I'm not. On the lower Avon we usually stop at Pershore and Tewkesbury but you could probably do Pershore to Worcester in one day, just beware of the lock opening times so you don't get to Worcester after the lock has closed.

26 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

On the upper Avon (Stratford to Evesham) there are nice mooring at many of the locks, my guide is on the boat but I'm not. On the lower Avon we usually stop at Pershore and Tewkesbury but you could probably do Pershore to Worcester in one day, just beware of the lock opening times so you don't get to Worcester after the lock has closed.

Assuming you are wanting to do this quickly and not spend time on the Avon, your min licence will give you a week though, so there is not cost saving going quickly if you have the time.  

So Stops could be Offenham Lock, Pershore, Tewkesbury, then Worcester.

Thanks Rob. Diglis Lock seems to close at 6pm. I will call and check.

But judging by the comments here so far, it looks like I might be pushing it too much, and no giving myself much room for eventualities, etc.

I will go for the more leisurable four days. Two days in the Avon and two days in the Severn. Maybe Evesham, Tewksbury, Worcester and into the S&W Canal on the 4th day.

BTW, I already paid for a two weeks license, I'm in the river already. I'm not in a hurry, but I enjoy long cruising days in the boat 🙂

2 hours ago, fer said:

BTW, I already paid for a two weeks license, I'm in the river already. I'm not in a hurry, but I enjoy long cruising days in the boat 🙂

If you have time to spare at Stratford, take the trip upstream and see how far you can get. You can go well beyond the 'recommended' turning place. About 30 years ago I took a hire boat right up to the pool below Alveston weir. This post shows where we got to with an ex working boat in 2014.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

If you have time to spare at Stratford, take the trip upstream and see how far you can get. You can go well beyond the 'recommended' turning place. About 30 years ago I took a hire boat right up to the pool below Alveston weir. This post shows where we got to with an ex working boat in 2014.

Thanks David,

That was my original plan: Come to Stratford. Spend a couple of leisurely weeks moored in the river while working. And wander upstream for a bit, before making my way back to the marina the way I came (Stratford Canal). But once I got here, I got this urge to go down the river 🙂

I will save a link to your post for next time I visit Stratford.

2 hours ago, fer said:

Thanks David,

That was my original plan: Come to Stratford. Spend a couple of leisurely weeks moored in the river while working. And wander upstream for a bit, before making my way back to the marina the way I came (Stratford Canal). But once I got here, I got this urge to go down the river 🙂

I will save a link to your post for next time I visit Stratford.

The mooring on the river at Stratford is 48 hour, so the most you can have is 2 nights in the basin and then 2 nights on the river at Stratford, most other moorings on the Avon are 24 hour, so you basically need to move every day to the next mooring.  The river mooring is £5 a night at Stratford and Tewkesbury (pay online like the licence), free elsewhere.

If you value your paintwork, then you will not get far above the red house, it is ver overgrown with trees.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

The mooring on the river at Stratford is 48 hour, so the most you can have is 2 nights in the basin and then 2 nights on the river at Stratford, most other moorings on the Avon are 24 hour, so you basically need to move every day to the next mooring.  The river mooring is £5 a night at Stratford and Tewkesbury (pay online like the licence), free elsewhere.

If you value your paintwork, then you will not get far above the red house, it is ver overgrown with trees.

I remember the moorings at the Old Bathing Place, just upstream from Stratford, having longer mooring times?  Maybe I remember wrong?

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I remember the moorings at the Old Bathing Place, just upstream from Stratford, having longer mooring times?  Maybe I remember wrong?

Duck shit city though, and the elsan was gross the one time I used it.

27 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Interestingly the Old Bathing Place is not listed on the list of 48 hour visitor moorings.

https://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/overnight-moorings/

Interesting, perhaps is just so bad no ones it, so it has been dropped.  I wonder if the elsan is gone now?

Just now, john6767 said:

Duck shit city though, and the elsan was gross the one time I used it.

Interesting, pe

Maybe if more boats moored there, there would be fewer ducks?  It's actually a really nice spot, but the elsan is indeed hideous.  Maybe because ANT have forgotten about it?

10 hours ago, john6767 said:

Thanks, yes, I was aware of the time restrictions and fees in the Stratford Avon. Called ANT and all is in order.

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Fantastic, I didn't know about those ones. I keep coming to Stratford every couple of years. I just love it here. I will try those next time I'm around.

I'm very much looking forward to starting my trip down the river!

2 hours ago, fer said:

Fantastic, I didn't know about those ones. I keep coming to Stratford every couple of years. I just love it here. I will try those next time I'm around.

You'll need to go UP the river from Stratford to find the moorings!

Edited by TheBiscuits
clarity

2 hours ago, fer said:

Thanks, yes, I was aware of the time restrictions and fees in the Stratford Avon. Called ANT and all is in order.

There's a cruise log for the Stourport Ring with some stopping/pub recommeendations here...

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You'll need to go UP the river from Stratford to find the moorings!

Yes, those are the moorings by the fisherman's car park. There's a nice walk by the river that takes you there. I have seen the place, I just didn't know they were public moorings. Not for this time, but shall try next time I'm in Stratford.

8 hours ago, IanD said:

There's a cruise log for the Stourport Ring with some stopping/pub recommeendations here...

I'm reading through old posts, but life got on the way and progress has been slow. I came across yours a couple of days ago. Lots of information! Will read again and start taking notes. Cheers

If I was looking to cruise from Stratford to Stourport (i.e. the river bits fo your route) quickly, I'd probably do three days, stopping the first night at Craycombe Turn and the second at Upton on Severn.  If you prefer mooring in towns, you could stop in Evesham and Tewkesbury (at Tewkesbury ask the lock keeper if you can lock down and moor overnight on the Severn level - that way you can leave very early to do the stretch to Worcester).

The only sensible place to moor between Tewkesbury and Worcester is at Upton.

Be aware of the lock hours at Tewkesbury (including the lunch hour) and at Worcester, where there is no hospitable mooring below Diglis lock.

You can do the Severn quite quickly of you have a powerful boat (with cooling system to match). The Avon not so much.

• Greenie 1

On 14/08/2021 at 14:30, fatmanblue said:

If I was looking to cruise from Stratford to Stourport (i.e. the river bits fo your route) quickly, I'd probably do three days, stopping the first night at Craycombe Turn and the second at Upton on Severn.  If you prefer mooring in towns, you could stop in Evesham and Tewkesbury (at Tewkesbury ask the lock keeper if you can lock down and moor overnight on the Severn level - that way you can leave very early to do the stretch to Worcester).

The only sensible place to moor between Tewkesbury and Worcester is at Upton.

Be aware of the lock hours at Tewkesbury (including the lunch hour) and at Worcester, where there is no hospitable mooring below Diglis lock.

You can do the Severn quite quickly of you have a powerful boat (with cooling system to match). The Avon not so much.

Great advice, thank you.

I have indeed just stopped for the day in Evesham Waterside Gardens. Lovely cruise down the river. Where is everybody? Only saw six boats going up. One of them commented they had only seen one boat going down in front of me... 

Tweaksbury tomorrow. Lock opens 9 till 5, and I will do as you suggest, try to moor after the lock (Im always up pretty early in the morning) Then Worcester on the third day (plenty of time to get there). And into the S&W on the fourth.

I don't know about "powerful boat". I did 5mph down the river today in some stretches and the engine sounded confortable, cool and happy. Didn't have the need to go fast, but might try in the Severn, for a bit, to see how it behaves.

I took this whole week off at work to enjoy the cruising. Now I shall catch up with all the good old posts and get a list of nice places and pubs in the S&W and the Stourbridge.

Cheers

50 minutes ago, fatmanblue said:

You can do Tewkesbury to Stourport in a day if you start early enough. The stretch to Worcester is not the most interesting, the upper bit to Stourport is nicer. The Severn feels very large when you come out of the Avon and see the Mythe bridge.

We took I think 5 hours, from below Tewkesbury lock to the pontoon at Worcester, on 9th July with the Severn on yellow.

Have the narrow locks reopened at Stourport?  We had to go up the wide ones, and boy are they hard work!