Problem on the Shoppie

Midnight

Featured Posts

What a poor job CRT (or their contractors) have made of dealing with the slippage. It was like that when we passed there 6 weeks ago and it looks as if they've initially dealt with it to allow boats to get through and then forgotten to go back and sort it properly. With it being such a steep embankment and prone to slippage it's no wonder there have been further problems.

I'm sure that had the towpath been a popular cyclists route they'd have cleared it properly and straight away too 😠

40 minutes ago, Grassman said:

What a poor job CRT (or their contractors) have made of dealing with the slippage. It was like that when we passed there 6 weeks ago and it looks as if they've initially dealt with it to allow boats to get through and then forgotten to go back and sort it properly. With it being such a steep embankment and prone to slippage it's no wonder there have been further problems.

I'm sure that had the towpath been a popular cyclists route they'd have cleared it properly and straight away too 😠

I hope you are not suggesting that we should be thankful for cyclists

28 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Can boats get past? Just imagining the chaos through there in August if they can't. 

Yes my mate Big Jimmy sent the photo yesterday but managed to get past. I think this was a case of steering too close to the slippage. CaRT did issue a warning - so good of them to do so.

Edited by Midnight

It's quite narrow and I doubt he could have gone much further over to the offside because of the overgrown vegetation there, and he looks to be a reasonable distance from the slippage. I reckon a previous boat has disturbed it and there'd been a further slip, and this guy was unlucky enough to have been amongst the first boats to follow it.

No chance regarding the cyclists Tonka 🙂

There is a sign asking you to go through the cutting at 2mph max

It's at the Tyrley end.

There used to be one at the Goldstone end but it disappeared around 10 years ago since when I've been repeatedly raising the point with BW/CRT.

No action. Little response.

Either boat speed is an issue, or its not.

Useless.

8 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Can boats get past? Just imagining the chaos through there in August if they can't. 

You could get past, we went through about a month ago with no problem.  There had only been a temporary clearance of the landslip and the towpath is closed right through the cutting.

Judging by the speed everyone on the Shroppie goes at I doubt many have gone past the landslide REALLY slow as they are meant to (saying 2mph is useless as how many boats have speedometers or a gps app).

I also think I read somewhere that Woodseaves is the single most expensive structure/feature on the waterways to maintain?

1 minute ago, Dave123 said:

Judging by the speed everyone on the Shroppie goes at I doubt many have gone past the landslide REALLY slow as they are meant to (saying 2mph is useless as how many boats have speedometers or a gps app).

I'd take issue with 2mph being "really slow".

I've just cruised six miles on the summit of the Oxford and it took me exactly three hours, i.e. 2mph. 

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've just cruised six miles on the summit of the Oxford and it took me exactly three hours, i.e. 2mph. 

I remember the Oxford summit seeming to take forever, no matter what speed one could do, and that bl***y giant pylon being far too visible either in front, behind or off to the side.

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

I remember the Oxford summit seeming to take forever, no matter what speed one could do, and that bl***y giant pylon being far too visible either in front, behind or off to the side.

Same with the Didcot power station cooling towers on the Thames! A whole day of cruising and you never seem to get away from them...

Gone now, I think. Not done the Thames for a decade at least.

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

That's interesting actually as I've generally assumed my tick over to be around 2-2.5mph and 3-3.5 mph achievable on a normal narrow canal at 'cruising revs'. Managed 3.75mph on the Bridgewater. Probably going around a lot of tight bends slows progress? Anyway, my point was I doubt all boats are slowing down for Woodseaves which won't help it's stability.

• 3 weeks later...

We passed through Woodseaves a few days ago that tree extends a fair way into the channel so it's easy to get caught out. There's also another fairly serious landslip at the northern end perhaps a long term stoppages in waiting unless C&RT do something this winter. 

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

We passed through Woodseaves a few days ago that tree extends a fair way into the channel so it's easy to get caught out. There's also another fairly serious landslip at the northern end perhaps a long term stoppages in waiting unless C&RT do something this winter. 

Not sure where CRT start with all the problems at Woodseaves. Two years ago we watched (and reported) as a still upright tree slid down to join us in the canal and that blockage had buoys around it for the following year. We draw 2ft10inches and  only just got through all the problems with this cutting after lockdown this year. Richard with the coalboat also made it through. It's a complete stoppage waiting to happen.

On 12/08/2021 at 17:30, JamesWoolcock said:

Either boat speed is an issue, or its not.

That's as maybe but the sandstone scree that's dissolving is more of an issue I think.

30 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Dissolving

dissolve
[dɪˈzɒlv]

VERB
dissolving (present participle)
  1. (with reference to a solid) become or cause to become incorporated into a liquid so as to form a solution.

synonyms:
    go into solution · become a solution · micro solids suspended in liquid solution.  break down · liquefy · melt · deliquesce · disintegrate · diffuse · solvate

Seems about right to me!

Friable rock.

Its simply cheap construction originally and a serious lack of maintenance and attention recently.

The spoil from the canal was thrown up on the embankments and the unrestrained tree growth since has made the loose surface liable to movement. 

I did have a woodcutter who was interested in clearing the overgrown trees from the cutting for no charge some years ago but C&RT would not allow it.

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I did have a woodcutter who was interested in clearing the overgrown trees from the cutting for no charge some years ago but C&RT would not allow it.

That would be a hell of a job, I've walked the site and I have since wondered the logistics of it.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the instability is caused by the near vertical angle of the cutting sides.

Later railway cuttings tended to have shallower angles.

Perhaps the best fix (although certainly not the cheapest) would be to reprofile the sides of the cutting?