Manchester…

NB Silverfish

Featured Posts

Hi guys

We came up the Failsworth Flight about 3 weeks ago and tbh we had a terrible time that has almost put me off boating! It took us over 10hours! We have been “stuck” at Littleborough for a bit as Lock 13 is closed ahead at Hebden Bridge and are now thinking of turning round and going back down towards the Bridgewater. This means going back down the Failsworth and also then down the Rochdale 9, and tbh I’m terrified! I’m just not sure we are experienced enough to know how to get ourselves out of a pickle, should one occur! We’ve asked for CRT help, but I’m not holding out hope. Does anyone have any tips for getting through the 9? I understand too much water can be the problem? (Whereas the problem with the Failsworth going up was not enough water!) 

On another note, is anyone planning on making the same trip before the end of August? We can be fairly flexible with timings, and would prefer to pair up, but we need to be in a marina for September. 
TIA 

Lucy

The Rochdale 9 is horrible but not because it is hard work. It’s horrible because of other things around it, used condoms, used needles around the lock etc. We have always gone up (or down) in the very early hours of the morning and there may have been a bit of cursing on occasion but it was still easier than the Huds  Narrow Canal. 

You have got as far as Littlebourough and are now giving up before the good bits?.

A short flight of locks will get you to the summit which is wonderful (visitor moorings one long down after the summit)

You can then go down to Todmorden, a very lovely bit of canal and Tod is a good and interesting town. The veggie pasties from Tod Almighty are great. Superb hill walking.

Ideally do not go back down the "18" till the kids go back to school, and If you can book the volunteer to help, he will get you down in  5 hours or less. Overnight at the Rose of Lancaster or Boat and Horses and make an early start to get the Newton Heath bit done early.

If you don't like the Rochdale 9 then going up the Ashton onto the Peak Forest can be a very good alternative.

• Greenie 2

To the OP the service provided by CRT relies on volunteers assisting boaters through this area. Most of these are well used to the trials and tribulations of the Rochdale canal, and some have been involved in boating and canal restoration for fifty years or so. As with any volunteer service the people involved have other things in their lives especially now following not being able to get out and do what they enjoy over the past year or so. 

If you are lucky enough to get Ian Mac or one of the others to help you you will have a great experience. Don't look on the request for help as being a waste of time all involved give of their time and vast experience for the love of these canals and to help people in the hope that they will enjoy the trip and to encourage others to use this canal 

42 minutes ago, NB Silverfish said:

Hi guys

We came up the Failsworth Flight about 3 weeks ago and tbh we had a terrible time that has almost put me off boating! It took us over 10hours! We have been “stuck” at Littleborough for a bit as Lock 13 is closed ahead at Hebden Bridge and are now thinking of turning round and going back down towards the Bridgewater. This means going back down the Failsworth and also then down the Rochdale 9, and tbh I’m terrified! I’m just not sure we are experienced enough to know how to get ourselves out of a pickle, should one occur! We’ve asked for CRT help, but I’m not holding out hope. Does anyone have any tips for getting through the 9? I understand too much water can be the problem? (Whereas the problem with the Failsworth going up was not enough water!) 

On another note, is anyone planning on making the same trip before the end of August? We can be fairly flexible with timings, and would prefer to pair up, but we need to be in a marina for September. 
TIA 

Lucy

I don’t think the Rochdale 9 is anything to be worried about. We’ve only done it a couple of times, but no issues except a dodgy paddle on one of the locks. Just look the other way between the top and next lock (the under-station bit) as it seems to be a hangout for people who like having public sex. You won’t get any hassle though, they are too busy enjoying themselves!

Compared to further up heading out of Manchester, the 9 are a doddle.

and.......and its generally easier going down as you take some water with you...

Surprisingly CRT generally get things fixed pretty quick on the Rochdale, I think they have their own team rather than relying totally on contractors, so if you spend 2 weeks at the Summit and 2 at Tod its quite possible that Callis will be fixed.

If you are a CCer why not spend the winter on the Rochdale? 😀

2 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

To the OP the service provided by CRT relies on volunteers assisting boaters through this area. Most of these are well used to the trials and tribulations of the Rochdale canal, and some have been involved in boating and canal restoration for fifty years or so. As with any volunteer service the people involved have other things in their lives especially now following not being able to get out and do what they enjoy over the past year or so. 

If you are lucky enough to get Ian Mac or one of the others to help you you will have a great experience. Don't look on the request for help as being a waste of time all involved give of their time and vast experience for the love of these canals and to help people in the hope that they will enjoy the trip and to encourage others to use this canal 

I think Ian is now the only volunteer but he like canals and boating so puts a lot of hours in. It would be really good to find a couple of apprentices for him as good volunteers make a huge difference to the Rochdale.

Ian got us down the 18 last month and it went so well that he pushed us up the Aston 18 the same day. 😀

49 minutes ago, NB Silverfish said:

Hi guys

TIA 

Lucy

We had a much more pleasant time going down those locks into Manchester than going up. Was like a different flight! The volunteer lockie was brilliant and very knowledgeable. He met us at lock 65 and saw us down to Piccadilly.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

You have got as far as Littlebourough and are now giving up before the good bits?.

A short flight of locks will get you to the summit which is wonderful (visitor moorings one long down after the summit)

You can then go down to Todmorden, a very lovely bit of canal and Tod is a good and interesting town. The veggie pasties from Tod Almighty are great. Superb hill walking.

I would agree (but then I live on the Yorkshire side). Once you are past Rochdale the canal is wonderful. Yes the locks can be heavy, but take it gently and you'll be fine. 

I have done the Rochdale from Dale Street to Sowerby Bridge (and on to Salterhebble) 4 times and the 9 three times, in the last couple of years - boat is too long to get out east so had to come back both times! Much of that was just a crew of two, although we did share some locks.

Twice I had to call out CRT - once for a carpet stuck under a bottom gate on the 9, preventing the gate from closing, and again just above the M62 crossing where the gate was stuck on what turned out to be a nearly new bow fender (which went straight into my useful stuff locker)! In both cases CRT staff on the phone were helpful, and soon had someone out to get us on our way again.

Water shortage can sometimes be a problem - a combination of too few boats, gates drying out and shrinking and vandalism. But CRT staff and volunteers are usually pretty good about bringing water down as necessary. 

There isn't always a shortage of water though. This was us ascending lock 74, about to pass a Shire Cruisers boat coming down. They had encountered full locks from Slattocks top, and as each was emptied the volume of water accompanying them down increased...20191018_122632.jpg.1cc5699e58bf0206a7532db46591aa87.jpg

Would definitely prefer going over the Rochdale summit to central Manchester, however god only knows how long it will take CRT to fix lock 13, hopefully they will be able to tell us more on Monday, after they've dewatered and inspected it.

Edited by phantom_iv

Thanks all, comments super helpful and reassuring. We would love to have stayed on the Rochdale and head up towards the L&L however lock 13 is delaying us too much and the lack of services on here in the mean time is too difficult to cope with. (Plus the water levels up at Tod and Hebden are worrying low too!) Such a shame!

The good news is the wonderful Vlockie has offered to help next week of which I am eternally grateful for. Totally understand they give up their free time (tbh I would happily pay for this service!) and would suggest the Failsworth goes back to being passable via booking only, that way the CRT can surely control water levels and provide assistance when needed. Maybe I’ll suggest it! 

1 hour ago, NB Silverfish said:

Thanks all, comments super helpful and reassuring. We would love to have stayed on the Rochdale and head up towards the L&L however lock 13 is delaying us too much and the lack of services on here in the mean time is too difficult to cope with. (Plus the water levels up at Tod and Hebden are worrying low too!) Such a shame!

The good news is the wonderful Vlockie has offered to help next week of which I am eternally grateful for. Totally understand they give up their free time (tbh I would happily pay for this service!) and would suggest the Failsworth goes back to being passable via booking only, that way the CRT can surely control water levels and provide assistance when needed. Maybe I’ll suggest it! 

The volunteer lockie is fond of good beer 😀

On 12/08/2021 at 18:58, dmr said:

The volunteer lockie is fond of good beer 😀

5 hours ago, IanD said:

A Budweiser should do him then, because -- allegedly -- "fresh beer tastes better" 😉

I do hope you're joking! :D :wub: