My floating home

Featured Posts

I only saw the last 15 mins. Mark Evans the presenter doesn't have a clue. He just looks at the superficial improvements but doesn't understand boat fundamentals. I didn't see what heating system the boat had, but with the huge proportion of single glazed windows I can't help thinking that boat's going to be damp and that kid's going to freeze in winter.

Edited by blackrose

I was pretty impressed with his attitude and hands on stuff. No showboating, just getting on with it. And he is setting up a company at the same time that will employ people. Not bad for a 21 year old!  He didn't just do the cosmetics but also worked on sorting the engine and electrics. He also had waders to jump in the cut to clear the prop. 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I can see that producing quite a bit of condensation on those windows. The rest of the cabin sides didn't even look insulated. So he might not be cold but he'll be mopping up pools of condensation every morning.

I think he has done well so far and could adapt to future problems. I guess most boats don't have double glazing but might have better insulation. He seems pretty handy and committed, so if it's a long term living situation, I could see him getting that sorted. 

On 11/08/2021 at 00:44, Ianws said:

I think he has done well so far and could adapt to future problems. I guess most boats don't have double glazing but might have better insulation. 

I wasn't doubting his efforts.

Yes most boats are single glazed but most liveaboard boats don't have that proportion of windows relative to cabin area. That's the point I was making. Those curtains his mum made aren't going to do much to prevent the heat going straight out and lots of condensation forming.

Edited by blackrose

Fair enough. I get what you say about the window area. He might come up with an ingenious solution. Wouldn't having a stove be better than not having one, given the air being drawn out? Might not be a perfect situation but better than a heating system that doesn't recirculate the air'? 

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Was this featuring @harrybsmith of this parish...?

I believe it was.

Quite enjoyed it. 

Little concerned about the pine flooring though. Had to treat my pine roofing with equal amounts of varnish and stain on both sides, after leaving it to acclimatise a week or two. Initial test batch of approx 6ft x 4 ft was only treated on one side and warped and shrunk considerably. 

Overall though seemed to have a healthy attitude to work, life and family. 

Edit to add. 

Fully agree with the post from Barge builder. 

Would his electric oven really work? How long will the tiles stay on in the shower? How did he fix the engine that had been under water?

How much did it cost to get the boat to Birmingham? How much are the council rates he should be paying?

Nice to see the boat "The Cat that Walks by Himself".

PS

He seems to be a great lad, I wish I had his skills, no need for RCR with him about :)

Edited by Laurie Booth

35 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Would his electric oven really work? How long will the tiles stay on in the shower? How did he fix the engine that had been under water?

How much did it cost to get the boat to Birmingham? How much are the council rates he should be paying?

Nice to see the boat "The Cat that Walks by Himself".

PS

He seems to be a great lad, I wish I had his skills, no need for RCR with him about :)

I think the fact that we don't have answers to these questions is the fault of the TV editor. It doesn't mean that the work wasn't done properly.

Don't you find all these types of programs, Grand Designs for example, leave you with lots of unanswered questions. They are for entertaining the masses and not meant as an information source for those who already have a fairly good understanding of the subject. 

2 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

....... I think the fact that we don't have answers to these questions is the fault of the TV editor...... 

Have to agree with that, entertainment program not primarily  educational. Lots of issues not resolved, if my memory serves me correctly I believe the roof lining was ripped out but nothing was shown on how it was replaced. 

8 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

I think the fact that we don't have answers to these questions is the fault of the TV editor. It doesn't mean that the work wasn't done properly.

Don't you find all these types of programs, Grand Designs for example, leave you with lots of unanswered questions. They are for entertaining the masses and not meant as an information source for those who already have a fairly good understanding of the subject. 

It's the same with 'The Repair Shop'.

They show what they've done but not how they've done it.

(Which I, for one, find quite annoying)

4 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Evening all, it is indeed my boat. I've lived aboard her for 4 years now quite happily, here's a few questions answered:

1:Windows/window area/condensation.  Yep, the windows are huge, which is great in summer but less good in winter. They do gather a reasonable amount of condensation, but they're sort of designed to, and so have integral drip gutters inside. Heat loss isn't really an issue, who on here is actually too cold when they've got their stove in? 

2) Oven- It's brilliant. 

3) Drowned engine- Whipped the head off, bores were OK, span it over by hand, all OK, put it back together with fresh oil etc and it's lasted for days and days of cruising (inc BCN challenge 2019)

4) Tiles- They're not on the cabin sides so probably longer than if they were

5) Flooring- has shrunk by about 5mm (18 months since filming), so I beaded the edge with wood coloured silicone

6) I cruised it to Birmingham, so probably £60 in fuel...

7) General costs- Despite what the program said, it's the same ish as a house, I'm under no illusion there

8 ) Roof lining- (do pay attention at the back...) replaced with van lining carpet, probably the bit I'm most happy with

9) General "not much happened" sentiment/shonkyness of filming. Episode was shot from Feb-May 2020, consequently I couldn't do half the stuff I planned, and due to lack of telly a ½hr planned episode got stretched to an hour. 

See you on the cut 

Hopefully see you on the next BCN challenge.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Hopefully see you on the next BCN challenge.

Would be great to

Oh, and for those curious,  my next move is probably going to be to scratch build a shell. Now that's a proper project, but wouldn't really be telly worthy as it's going to take ages

9 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Evening all, it is indeed my boat. I've lived aboard her for 4 years now quite happily, here's a few questions answered:

1:Windows/window area/condensation.  Yep, the windows are huge, which is great in summer but less good in winter. They do gather a reasonable amount of condensation, but they're sort of designed to, and so have integral drip gutters inside. Heat loss isn't really an issue, who on here is actually too cold when they've got their stove in? 

2) Oven- It's brilliant. 

3) Drowned engine- Whipped the head off, bores were OK, span it over by hand, all OK, put it back together with fresh oil etc and it's lasted for days and days of cruising (inc BCN challenge 2019)

4) Tiles- They're not on the cabin sides so probably longer than if they were

5) Flooring- has shrunk by about 5mm (18 months since filming), so I beaded the edge with wood coloured silicone

6) I cruised it to Birmingham, so probably £60 in fuel...

7) General costs- Despite what the program said, it's the same ish as a house, I'm under no illusion there

8 ) Roof lining- (do pay attention at the back...) replaced with van lining carpet, probably the bit I'm most happy with

9) General "not much happened" sentiment/shonkyness of filming. Episode was shot from Feb-May 2020, consequently I couldn't do half the stuff I planned, and due to lack of telly a ½hr planned episode got stretched to an hour. 

See you on the cut 

Hi Harry,

I was and continue to be impressed by your ability and attitude, at an age when frankly I did very little of any consequence.

The wall climbing robot looks great, but I'd love to see more of it in action on YouTube: is it noisy?

4 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Hi Harry,

I was and continue to be impressed by your ability and attitude, at an age when frankly I did very little of any consequence.

The wall climbing robot looks great, but I'd love to see more of it in action on YouTube: is it noisy?

Hi, thanks for that! I won't do too much promotion on here, but if you put HausBots into YouTube then you should find some things of interest. It is quite noisy, but no more so than a lawnmower. 

And no, before anyone asks, I don't make one for blacking

Edited by harrybsmith
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Would be great to

Oh, and for those curious,  my next move is probably going to be to scratch build a shell. Now that's a proper project, but wouldn't really be telly worthy as it's going to take ages

Some of those grand designs are filmed over a few years so you never know.

2 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Hi, thanks for that! I won't do too much promotion on here, but if you put HausBots into YouTube then you should find some things of interest. It is quite noisy, but no more so than a lawnmower. 

And no, before anyone asks, I don't make one for blacking

Now that would be impressive.

I wish you every success with the venture.

• Greenie 1

On 10/08/2021 at 22:24, blackrose said:

I only saw the last 15 mins. Mark Evans the presenter doesn't have a clue. 

I haven’t seen the programme and mark evans may not have a clue about narrowboat but he is actually quite handy.  Many years ago I watched a series where he built a light aircraft and classic car restoration.  I’m going to have to find the programme mentioned in this thread, hopefully it’s on catch up😁