Old caravan oven BSS compliant?

Mike_T

Featured Posts

I have a gas hob and grill at the moment but want to upgrade to an oven for more cooking flexibility

. I have an old working flavel oven from many years ago and I was wondering if these were still BSS compliant or if they were lacking modern safety valves and what not. Got a few years left on my bss so don't want to put the effort in just to find it makes my boat fail.

Thanks in advance Mike-T

If you can just turn the burner on and light it without holding the knob or another button in (discounting any igniter only button) it probably has not got flame supervision. Light the burner, let it warm up, turn it off and immediately back on again. If the gas flow does not stop within about 30 seconds, it's a BSS fail.

The OP's elderly Flavel oven may well have the old type of flame supervision from before thermocouples energising solenoid valves found favour on ovens about 30 years ago. 

On old natural gas ovens there was a mechanical sensor phial over the gas flame which would close a gas valve if it cooled down (should the flame go out), thus shutting off the gas. But in order to allow the sensor to warm up, there was a tiny bypass gas path fitted to allow the burner to light at a very low flame when the sensor was cold. Once the flame supervision sensor warmed up (usually took about a minute), gas would be passed to the main control valve which responded to the oven thermostat. So on this old method, the gas flame would always light with no holding-in of the control knob, but the flame would initially only burn at low setting. Then after a minute or so, the flame size would increase and the oven work normally. 

This always struck me as a stupid way of doing it as if the flame blew out, unlit gas would still flow from the burner at a low rate indefinitely. I suspect this type of flame supervision would be a BSS fail nowadays. It certainly should be. The way for the OP to determine which his has is, as you say, run the oven and see if the flame lights at low level without the knob being held in, or if the knob needs to be held in to light the flame at all.  

The bit I don't know is whether this old type of flame supervision fitted to an LPG oven in a boat would be a BSS fail. A careful read of the manual that came with the oven would also reveal which type of flame supervision is fitted, should the OP still have it.

Edited by MtB

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

snip

The bit I don't know is whether this old type of flame supervision fitted to an LPG oven in a boat would be a BSS fail. A careful read of the manual that came with the oven would also reveal which type of flame supervision is fitted, should the OP still have it.

As far as I can tell it's a functional test as I described, but I agree with the potential dangers of the type you describe.

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As far as I can tell it's a functional test as I described, but I agree with the potential dangers of the type you describe.

To definitively answer the OP's question we actually need more information.

1) Which type of flame supervision is fitted to his "old working Flavel oven". Bypass, thermocouple, or none.

2) If it is the 'bypass' type, whether this is acceptable to the BSS.

The manual will say which type is fitted, if any, so if the OP can accurately identify the model of Flavel, it might be possible to find the manual on the net.

OK guys amazing information as always, I am going to my storage yard today I will pull the old oven out and get to looking at it take some pictures and find the manual and get back to you. 

Iam wondering now if its possible to add one to the existing oven as a bit of a resto mod, I know that's excessive but boat restoration on a budget means thinking outside the box right plus vintage style modern safety is pretty cool imo

14 minutes ago, Mike_T said:

OK guys amazing information as always, I am going to my storage yard today I will pull the old oven out and get to looking at it take some pictures and find the manual and get back to you. 

Iam wondering now if its possible to add one to the existing oven as a bit of a resto mod, I know that's excessive but boat restoration on a budget means thinking outside the box right plus vintage style modern safety is pretty cool imo

Not suggesting that your oven is a BSS fail, BUT, you should be aware that any modifications you make to you boat which result in non-compliance results in your BSS being invalidated however long it has to go before expiry.

Most inland insurance policies will say something to the effect that "the boat must be kept and maintained in accordance with the Navigation authorities safety requirements".

In the case of a fire / loss of boat then it may well be that your insurance would be invalidated.

If nothing happened to the boat then no one would be the wiser, but do you want to take the risk ?

Below is the T&Cs from Craft Insure as an example :

• The boat is of fibre glass, aluminium or steel construction.
  • The boat will be used for private and pleasure purposes only.
  • The boat's overall length does not exceed 80ft.
  • If the boat is over 30 years old, you possess a full out of the water condition survey of the boat, carried out within the last 5 years by a qualified yacht surveyor, and all recommendations have been complied with (or a survey carried out within the past 7 years if the boat is already insured by you with Craftinsure)
  • The boat will be ashore or afloat on inland non-tidal waters and interconnecting tidal waterways of the UK, the Broads and the Thames not to seaward of the Thames Barrier.
  • A Canal & River Trust or Environment Agency Licence, or the equivalent licence from the local Navigation Authority, will be maintained in force once the boat is in commission and afloat.
  • The boat has a current Boat Safety Certificate (and/or a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer if the boat is less than 4 years old).
  • Neither I nor any co-owner have any convictions or pending convictions
  • The boat has not been modified in a way that affects its' seaworthiness
  • I have no health issues that affect my ability to operate the boat
  • The boat is not more than 50 years old now.
  • The boat is not a static houseboat

And from the BSS 'rules' :

The owner’s on-going responsibility: it is crucial to maintain the vessel in good condition in accordance with the safety requirements; and, any other licensing, registration or mooring conditions of the relevant navigation or harbour authority. The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made....

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not suggesting that your oven is a BSS fail, BUT, you should be aware that any modifications you make to you boat which result in non-compliance results in your BSS being invalidated however long it has to go before expiry.

Most inland insurance policies will say something to the effect that "the boat must be kept and maintained in accordance with the Navigation authorities safety requirements".

In the case of a fire / loss of boat then it may well be that your insurance would be invalidated.

If nothing happened to the boat then no one would be the wiser, but do you want to take the risk ?

• If the boat is over 30 years old, you possess a full out of the water condition survey of the boat, carried out within the last 5 years by a qualified yacht surveyor, and all recommendations have been complied with (or a survey carried out within the past 7 years if the boat is already insured by you with Craftinsure)
  • The boat will be ashore or afloat on inland non-tidal waters and interconnecting tidal waterways of the UK, the Broads and the Thames not to seaward of the Thames Barrier.
  • A Canal & River Trust or Environment Agency Licence, or the equivalent licence from the local Navigation Authority, will be maintained in force once the boat is in commission and afloat.
  • The boat has a current Boat Safety Certificate (and/or a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer if the boat is less than 4 years old).

The owner’s on-going responsibility: it is crucial to maintain the vessel in good condition in accordance with the safety requirements; and, any other licensing, registration or mooring conditions of the relevant navigation or harbour authority. The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made....

Thank you that was a very informative post, does this mean any items fitted that come under the regulations imposed by the bss but have not been validated automatically invalidate the bss ? I want to comply fully with the current safety regulations as I hope to one day re sell this boat and would like to make sure she is a more worthy vessle now than when she came to me 

9 minutes ago, Mike_T said:

Thank you that was a very informative post, does this mean any items fitted that come under the regulations imposed by the bss but have not been validated automatically invalidate the bss ? I want to comply fully with the current safety regulations as I hope to one day re sell this boat and would like to make sure she is a more worthy vessle now than when she came to me 

The BSS does not specify 'items', it only specifies the performance, or requirements that the item must acheive, they do not (for example) say manufacturers cooker model XYZ is approved, they simply say "any cooker installed must have a flame failure device",

If you make modifications to 'BSS required items' after the issue of the certificate, no one will know until the next examination (and that is what folks rely on) the only time you would be 'caught' is if something bad happens and the enquiry finds the boat had been 'fiddled with'.

The BSS also make recommendations as to certain items potentially involving safety, such as the amount of ventilation required, the height of any hull openings etc, these are not madatory but are 'best practice'. It is always best to follow best practice where possible but it is not a BSS failure if you don't.

The thing to remember is that the BSS is NOT there to make the boat safe for the user / owner as they cannot legally stop you harming yourself. The BSS is there to stop you harming others (passers by on the tow-path, other boats, workmen etc etc)

If your boat was to burst into flames you could endanger other boats moored near by, or when the gas bottle explode you could kill the firemen who have come to put out the fire.

This surprises many people, who think that having a BSS means the boat is safe to use.

As the BSS say themselves :

The Boat Safety Scheme

The Boat Safety Scheme, or BSS, is a public safety initiative owned equally by the Canal & River Trust and the Environment Agency. Its purpose is to help minimise the risk of boat fires, explosions, or pollution harming visitors to the inland waterways, the waterways' workforce and any other users.

Complicated issue to which I do not know the answers.  But the BSS quote says "the validity of a  BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled" which suggests to me that a dodgy alteration means it would not have passed (reasonably obvious) and that cancellation requires some action by, presumably, the BSS operator.

Moving on to the insurance terms quoted  are they not conditions precedent (i.e. if not met at the outset, the insurance never properly commenced) rather than matters for which the insurance will be invalidated at any time?  For example, if I fall down the stairs at home, and break my legs, which that affects my ability to operate the boat, is my insurance invalidated even though I might be 100 miles away?  Or a pending conviction appears against me - even if it has no justification.  If I take a fire extinguisher ashore to use through a window, leaving the boat carrying less than the required number, is the BSS and therefore insurance really invalidated?

Most claims (with the possible exception of those where they might be a liability on a third party) are as a consequence of the insured doing something that was less-than-bright, at least with hindsight.  If doing something dumb immediately invalidated the insurance, it would be a pretty poor show.  

As I say, not my expertise but I believe Road Traffic Act insurance cannot be invalidated by bad driving (see s148 RTA 1988).  If you fail to declare convictions relating to bad driving at the outset, you probably are uninsured.  Fully accept that the RTA has no bearing on boats, but I find it hard to accept that the smallest of transgressions means no insurance, as is so often stated here.

whilst  

2 minutes ago, Tacet said:

As I say, not my expertise but I believe Road Traffic Act insurance cannot be invalidated by bad driving (see s148 RTA 1988).  If you fail to declare convictions relating to bad driving at the outset, you probably are uninsured.  Fully accept that the RTA has no bearing on boats, but I find it hard to accept that the smallest of transgressions means no insurance, as is so often stated here.

Let me give another scenario :

The tyres on your car are below the legal limit, your MOT is due so you agree to do a temporary swap with the tyres/wheels off your mates car.

You car passes the MOT, and you take it home and put your unsafe wheels back onto your car, whilst driving to your mates house to take his wheels back you have an accident and run over someone.

Is your car maintained in a road-worthy condition as required by the insurers ?

Are you insured ?

Should your insurance cover you ?

Substitute "boat" for "car" and "gas cooker with FFD" for "tyres".

No one knows you are drivig a non-road worthy car (boat) until the accident happens.

Well as previously stated compliance and safety are my number one considerations, I already discussed the ventilation requirements with my previous inspector so I have implemented those changes already, cost is obviously a large factor in this as the boat in question has various age issues, as well as a particularly dry and damaging decent of the Rochdale to recover from. I have access to a more modern oven that would certainly be compliant but is enormous for the galley room I have. If the smaller oven is fitted with the required safety measures that would be ideal, but failing that if a safe and compliant modification cannot be made I suppose its a new oven 

• Happy 1

The other aspect is surely that even if your new oven is compliant with the BSS requirements, it won't have been signed off as such by the BSS examiner. So in the event of an incident, when an investigator finds a cooker not mentioned on the BSS paperwork, you could be on the back foot proving that it did comply. So ideally you would get another BSS examination after fitting it. This would be the case whether you fit the caravan oven or a brand new one.

That said, I don't think many boaters get their boats inspected after modifications to any of the systems which are part of the examination.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Let me give another scenario :

The tyres on your car are below the legal limit, your MOT is due so you agree to do a temporary swap with the tyres/wheels off your mates car.

You car passes the MOT, and you take it home and put your unsafe wheels back onto your car, whilst driving to your mates house to take his wheels back you have an accident and run over someone.

Is your car maintained in a road-worthy condition as required by the insurers ?

Are you insured ?

Should your insurance cover you ?

Substitute "boat" for "car" and "gas cooker with FFD" for "tyres".

No one knows you are drivig a non-road worthy car (boat) until the accident happens.

No-one should rely on this - but yes, since you ask, I do think the insurance will cover the potential claim from the runned-over.

See s151 of the RTA 1988.

Notwithstanding that the insurer may be entitled to avoid or cancel, or may have avoided or cancelled, the policy , he must, subject to the provisions of this section, pay to the persons entitled to the benefit of the judgment—

(a)as regards liability in respect of death or bodily injury, any sum payable under the judgment in respect of the liability, together with any sum which, by virtue of any enactment relating to interest on judgments, is payable in respect of interest on that sum,

(b)as regards liability in respect of damage to property, any sum required to be paid under subsection (6) below, and

(c)any amount payable in respect of costs.

But I am not suggesting that a direct analogy applies to boat insurance - which is not subject to the same statutory provisions.  What I am doubting is that all minor issues that may mean the boat would not pass a BSS test invalidates insurance.

What is your view on the broken leg or bankside fire extinguishers examples?

4 hours ago, Tacet said:

For example, if I fall down the stairs at home, and break my legs, which that affects my ability to operate the boat, is my insurance invalidated even though I might be 100 miles away? 

Is there a clause in your insurance that states you need to be physically competent to operate your boat whilst at home ?

4 hours ago, Tacet said:

If I take a fire extinguisher ashore to use through a window, leaving the boat carrying less than the required number, is the BSS and therefore insurance really invalidated?

Presumably you took the extinguisher off the boat to fight a fire on the boat, in which case you still have the correct number of extinguishers to fight your boat fire.

If, however, you took your extinguisher off your boat to fight a fire on another boat you would no longer have suffciient extinguishers on your boat should the time come when you needed them.

Section 6:1:1 details the number and ratings of fire extinguishers that must be kept on board, if you have removed one to fight a fire on another boat then you are no longer in compliance, on your own boat and as this section is a 'requirement' I'd suggest that your boat is at risk of being uninsured.

Negligence would be considered a reason to not provide cover and failure to apply the insurers T&Cs :

From my boat insurance :

Your duty of care

4.2.1 Information Traffords and Your Insurers need to know.

You must take reasonable care to provide complete and accurate answers to the questions Traffords or Your Insurers ask when You take out, make changes to or renew Your Policy.

Your Policy may not be valid or may not cover You fully if the information provided by You is not complete and accurate or if You do not tell Traffords or Your Insurers about any changes.

You must let Traffords or Your Insurers know if there are any changes to the information set out in Your Schedule. You must also tell Traffords or Your Insurers within fourteen days in the event of any of the following:

i) Any additional people to be insured or any insured person to be taken off the Policy;

ii) Any criminal convictions for any of the people insured or to be insured;

iii) Any change in Your Craft’s mooring or storage location;

iv) Any change to Your Craft’s original specification;

v) Any modifications to Your Craft;

vi) Any change affecting ownership of Your Craft;

vii) Any change in the way that Your Craft is used (to include any change from private and pleasure use to charter use).

viii) You have received a professional valuation of Your Craft which differs from the Sum Insured shown in Your Schedule;

ix) You have offered or advertised Your Craft for sale at a different value to the Sum Insured shown in Your Schedule

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is there a clause in your insurance that states you need to be physically competent to operate your boat whilst at home ?

No - but according to you earlier, some policies are invalidated if the insured does not no comply with the condition 

with no mention of being at home or not

Presumably you took the extinguisher off the boat to fight a fire on the boat, in which case you still have the correct number of extinguishers to fight your boat fire.

If, however, you took your extinguisher off your boat to fight a fire on another boat you would no longer have suffciient extinguishers on your boat should the time come when you needed them.

Section 6:1:1 details the number and ratings of fire extinguishers that must be kept on board, if you have removed one to fight a fire on another boat then you are no longer in compliance, on your own boat and as this section is a 'requirement' I'd suggest that your boat is at risk of being uninsured.

The BSS requires the vessel to carry the extinguishers. - not merely to be available.  So, on your pedantic line, taking one off the boat to fight a fire on the boat would be a breach of the BSS and put your boat at risk of being uninsured.  How does it work in your world if the neighbouring boat is ablaze and clearly liable to set fire to your own?  Use of your extinguisher to put out its fire would invalidate your BSS and therefore insurance.  Must you wait until your own boat burns and only attack that?  But even then, when the extinguisher is exhausted you would be down on BSS requirements.  It goes on and on

I think not.  I don't believe the BSSC is forfeited (or restored) automatically on the drop of a hat.  Nor do I believe the insurance is voided on a whim.

Negligence would be considered a reason to not provide cover and failure to apply the insurers T&Cs :

From my boat insurance :

Your duty of care

4.2.1 Information Traffords and Your Insurers need to know.

You must take reasonable care to provide complete and accurate answers to the questions Traffords or Your Insurers ask when You take out, make changes to or renew Your Policy.

Your Policy may not be valid or may not cover You fully if the information provided by You is not complete and accurate or if You do not tell Traffords or Your Insurers about any changes.

You must let Traffords or Your Insurers know if there are any changes to the information set out in Your Schedule. You must also tell Traffords or Your Insurers within fourteen days in the event of any of the following:

i) Any additional people to be insured or any insured person to be taken off the Policy;

ii) Any criminal convictions for any of the people insured or to be insured;

iii) Any change in Your Craft’s mooring or storage location;

iv) Any change to Your Craft’s original specification;

v) Any modifications to Your Craft;

vi) Any change affecting ownership of Your Craft;

vii) Any change in the way that Your Craft is used (to include any change from private and pleasure use to charter use).

viii) You have received a professional valuation of Your Craft which differs from the Sum Insured shown in Your Schedule;

ix) You have offered or advertised Your Craft for sale at a different value to the Sum Insured shown in Your Schedule

The first bit relates to conditions precedent; if you are untruthful at commencement you may well not be insured (at all).  And the second part is an obligation - but may not (probably will not) invalidate your insurance.  Advertising a boat for a little above the value shown in a schedule without advising the company means no insurance?  Is that never or just whilst it is advertised?  It is a breach of condition but the circumstances would be unusual if it led to the policy been voided

And the bit about negligence invalidating insurance is plainly wrong.  If I negligently run my boat into yours, surely that is largely what insurance is there to pay for.   I might just accept (don't know) that the insurance company could subsequently lay its own claim at my feet - but I still think it will be obliged to pay out for damage to your vessel in the first instance.  Not much point in requiring compulsory third party insurance if it is cancelled when someone does something stupid.

Edited by Tacet

34 minutes ago, Tacet said:

No - but according to you earlier, some policies are invalidated if the insured does not no comply with the condition 

with no mention of being at home or not

You are taking being ridiculous to a totally new level of stupidity.

I shall not bother to discuss further.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

(snip)

(snip)

How about fighting a fire on your own boat? Once an extinguisher is discharged, it is no longer BSS compliant. Does that mean the boat becomes uninsured?

You are taking being ridiculous to a totally new level of stupidity.

I shall not bother to discuss further.

Tacet isn't the only one! :D

S11 of the Insurance Act 2015 provides:

Terms not relevant to the actual loss

(1)This section applies to a term (express or implied) of a contract of insurance, other than a term defining the risk as a whole, if compliance with it would tend to reduce the risk of one or more of the following—

(a)loss of a particular kind,

(b)loss at a particular location,

(c)loss at a particular time.

(2)If a loss occurs, and the term has not been complied with, the insurer may not rely on the non-compliance to exclude, limit or discharge its liability under the contract for the loss if the insured satisfies subsection (3).

(3)The insured satisfies this subsection if it shows that the non-compliance with the term could not have increased the risk of the loss which actually occurred in the circumstances in which it occurred.

(4)This section may apply in addition to section 10

Which (I think) means that an insurer cannot wriggle out of paying due to the insured not complying with a term could not have increased the risk of the loss which occurred.

Taking it one stage further, the absence of a BSSC is unlikely to be relevant to a loss in itself.  It may well be that the same reason a boat cannot obtain a certificate (such as a dangerous gas system) as leads to the loss (such as a fire or explosion) that actually occurred - and thus liability is excluded, so don't take chances.  But my reading is that the non-compliance on one point does not void a policy entirely.

If that is correct (and no responsibility is accepted) the oft-quoted your-insurance-will-not-pay-out unless you comply with every jot and tittle, is not an accurate representation.