Iced Tea

Greg K

Featured Posts

Is this so?

Iced tea is generally regarded, in Britain, as almost incontrovertible proof of the existence of Satan. As a nation, we have greater faith in proper tea than we do in any particular god (or deity collective), however even tea has its demonic counterpart and it's iced tea.

No way you'd ever produce enough ice on board most narrowboats for proper iced tea and I'm thinking there's not a lot of bulk ice sold in the UK as here in America, but is iced tea truly so horrid?  It's something I drink year round (yes, I use the dreaded tea "dust" as most Americans do), yet I really like my iced tea.  Use this contraption to make it.  Refrigerator has auto ice maker, so never a shortage of ice in my American kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/HomeCraft-HCIT3BS-Stainless-Strength-Selector/dp/B08MSMJFR6/ref=asc_df_B08MSMJFR6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475811810089&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5201735190684222799&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017216&hvtargid=pla-1127838393734&psc=1

Edited by Greg K

Of course the proper way to drink tea is scalding hot whatever the weather, ice tea is an abomination  :)

seriously I've always found ice tea  had slightly odd flavour, not unpleasant but not something I would wish bother with, maybe I need to give it another go

• Greenie 1

Tea is wonderfully versatile. In the heat of summer I like to make a jug of lemon tea and chill it in the fridge.

In the cold winter months (like this August...), piping hot and sweetened with a dash of milk, like the one I couldn't put down to write this or it would have got too cold (i.e <90C...)

8 hours ago, pomkitanner said:

Iced Tea is like cold chips . yuk  ! But not a tea drinker generally as by and large its past its use by date . In India, Tea, ( Chai ) is fresh and flavoursome , unlike anything i have yet to experience in UK.

Chips w/ mayo....the Dutch taught me that marvel.  No vinegar.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Tends to be a Belgian practice: there are a lot of things they get right in Belgium, including beer.

Oof....wheat beers aren't my favorite style.

Gimme a good ole' Pale Ale anytime.  

Edited by Greg K

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

You need to try the dark side….milds/porters/old ale! 

Did a fair bit of brewing at home using an all grain system about 10 years ago.  Used the old  5 gallon soda fountain syrup cans and made a four tap "keggerator", w/ four styles on tap at all times.  It got rather out of control (always brewing and drinking beer), that gave it up.  Still think about getting back to it again on a smaller scale.

B0E0D0E3-DD0C-4BF3-8642-67D0FB36E1F4_1_105_c.jpeg.b4bc3cf3515a628cbd93b9120e6a8a3f.jpeg

FCB27D3A-CD5E-4E20-B774-2F3679E8806A_1_105_c.jpeg

6745A610-FAB2-4724-8D20-0C57F026B3F8_1_105_c.jpeg

0A37E7EF-8233-45E2-BDA4-C880CAF46A10_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by Greg K
  • Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Kudzucraft said:

Hot tea is like cold coffee to me. I can totally see why you Brits would hate ice tea.

But seeing that mom (Mum) put iced tea in my bottle as a baby it is just wrong to drink it hot.

Funny isn't it, I have a knack of making a brew and nodding off before I manage to drink it, that is now a ruined brew and I have to make a  new one

Could always guarantee that when I got a brew at work I'd get called away and the brew would get cold. Being ex military too you get used to drinking anything that resembles tea ... fwiw I quite like iced tea, made using Earl Grey with a piece of orange in and topped with either lemonade or tonic, makes for a lovely refreshing drink in summer (remeber them anyone??)

On 10/08/2021 at 22:01, PCSB said:

Could always guarantee that when I got a brew at work I'd get called away and the brew would get cold. Being ex military too you get used to drinking anything that resembles tea ... fwiw I quite like iced tea, made using Earl Grey with a piece of orange in and topped with either lemonade or tonic, makes for a lovely refreshing drink in summer (remeber them anyone??)

Ewwww, thanks for the reminder, lukewarm standard NATO out of a norgie used for last night's curry and not washed out properly....

• Haha 1