Wigan flight

Tom766

Featured Posts

I think I saw something posted by the CRT stating that there's no longer assistance for single crew boats or boats with someone disabled aboard at the flight on a Thursday. Can anyone confirm or deny this. I'm really not looking forward to 21 locks alone😳

15 hours ago, Tom766 said:

Ah OK, used to be Thursdays but I thought they'd stopped helping. 

That's good news then.. 

There is still NO CaRT assisted passage on the flight and there has not been for quite a while but as Rob-M says have a look at the wiganflightcrew Facebook page and put your intended boat movement on there.

They are genuine unpaid volunteers who have nothing to do with CaRT but if they are available tend to have someone at top and bottom locks at 9.00am in the morning.

Can confirm the Wigan flight crew are excellent. The Facebook page is also useful for finding another boat to share with. Didn't find the locks nearly as daunting as I had expected. They were easy to operate and pleasant surrounds that felt clean and safe the whole way down! Boats do regularly moor in the pound with mooring rings about two thirds of the way from the top. Also look at the notes under the documents sections of the Facebook page. The volunteers have amassed an extrodinary wealth of detail on the operation and peculiarities of every single lock, such as which gates can stick if opened fully or tend to swing shut etc!

54 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Hmmm might put that off a while, I have wet viking floor syndrome 💦😭😭😭

Pumped it dry, holding my breath..  

Hope it's nothing serious.

with recent rain it may well be leaking windows,air vents,roof rails,deck fittings,leaking water tank or even the canopy.

Well I'm hoping the tank that openly overflows into the Hull is the issue, and the pin holes in the plastic pipe under the sink causing a constant leak ( when the pump is powered up) is the issue. BUT in a canal paranoia sets in. 

The boat hasn't been maintained for years and yesterday was our maiden voyage 🛥️

That's boating... 

9 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

yesterday was our maiden voyage 🛥️

The best two days of your life are when you buy a boat, and when you sell it.

The inbetween times are just a continuous purgatory of worry, spending, mending, worry, mending and more spending - maybe the odd flash of contentment when you have the jobs listed for that day completed and you can get your tools ready for tommorrow.

2 hours ago, Tom766 said:

Aint that the truth. 

Had two narrowboats in the past. Spent more time upside down in the engine bay than crusin so thought I'd go yoghurt pot and Honda instead..... Nope 🙄

Me too,and did the same thing.My grp boat is a bit less maintainance hungry than my narrowboat,but not by much.

Boats,like women,on the whole are pretty much the same.