Broken Down

Laurie Booth

Featured Posts

I was discussing this issue with the guy who services our oil fired boilers recently who is highly trained and really knows his stuff.  He works for an oil distribution company and I asked if he had ever considered setting up on his own.  I tend to take the view that if you are any good at something why work for an employer.

He replied that yes he had considered it but his concern was flow of work.  Without the heft of a big company, he took the view that he just wouldn't be able to generate enough work to exceed his current earnings.  Well I would use you I said, and pretty much everyone I know would, but you could tell he just wasn't convinced.

Similarly I have a friend who agonised for years about becoming self employed as a roofer for the same reason.  He was genuinely worried that without the security of his employer he just wouldn't get the work.  

There must be folk contracting to RCR for the same reason.  We all know there are skilled engineers etc on the canals who don't have to try at all, but OTOH there are those who could possibly make more as fully independent contractors but don't have the confidence.  

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

or as a last resort bowhaul the boat for 2 miles.

I did that when my gearbox failed on the Chesterfield, pulled it to the pub.(now closed) Not sure haw we found the chap who fixed it for us, well before RCR days. You don't get many passing boats for a tow

Edited by ditchcrawler

9 hours ago, MtB said:

I would also predict the engineer who did it got significantly less than the £285 that stuck to RCR, and he is currently wondering why he bothers working for them! 

Don't forget the price included the cost of the drive plate. The engineer said he was better off working for RCR than working for a large lorry firm he had left.

On 26/08/2021 at 09:07, Sir Nibble said:

Horses for courses. If your lights don't work it's not a software problem. If you turn them off and on again and they work,  that's a dud switch. If you fix the symptoms, you've fixed the problem. I don't doubt you're right for the starship enterprise but not for the pumps and lights etc of a narrow boat. 

But let's suppose you replace the switch and still they do not work. You try the fuse and replace it. Now OK so fixed he symptom. However, an hour later lights no longer work. Fuse blown. still want to fix the symptom?

Edited by Mike Todd