Broken Down

Laurie Booth

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Assume it's a good one.

:)

Which model? Is it definitely a Hurth?   Parts are daft prices      https://www.asap-supplies.com/engine-and-gearbox-components/gearboxes-spares-accessories/zf-hurth-gearbox-spares 

PRM prices here      http://www.calcuttboats.com/gearbox.html

1 hour ago, Laurie Booth said:

How much should I pay for a refurbished gearbox and fitting?

I suspect they won't be refurbished but simply second hand and repaired. 

Given the diverse nature of transmission failures, and the limited range of gearboxes commonly fitted in boats, and the keen-ness of RCR members to get their breakdowns fixed, I'd say their policy is to keep a stock of repaired boxes on the shelf. So whenever someone calls with any sort of transmission failure, their standard response is to condemn the box and swap it for a repaired one. This way they know how long it will take and the customer gets sent on their way ASAP then the supposed duff box gets taken to the workshop, tested without ny time pressure, fixed if necessary, painted and put on the shelf ready for the next call. 

This would explain why RCR always seem to supply a "new" gearbox rather than visit the boat, diagnose the fault, order parts, wait for them to arrive, go back to the boat, dismantle the box, fix, it, and hope their local bod was right in his diagnosis. 

Edited by MtB

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Given the diverse nature of transmission failures, and the limited range of gearboxes commonly fitted in boats, and the keen-ness of RCR members to get their breakdowns fixed, I'd say their policy is to keep a stock of repaired boxes on the shelf. So whenever someone calls with any sort of transmission failure, their standard response is to condemn the box and swap it for a repaired one. This way they know how long it will take and the customer gets sent on their way ASAP then the supposed duff box gets taken to the workshop, tested without ny time pressure, fixed if necessary, painted and put on the shelf ready for the next call. 

This would explain why RCR always seem to supply a "new" gearbox rather than visit the boat, diagnose the fault, order parts, wait for them to arrive, go back to the boat, dismantle the box, fix, it, and hope their local bod was right in his diagnosis. 

That certainly seems to be the case with engines IME.

As to whether they are "repaired" or just painted is another matter.  I know of one BMC engine that was fitted and rejected in 3 boats, one after the other, a few years ago.

have to say I do question the value of RCR. All they seem to do is to turn up and say, "yes, your engine is broken" - which I knew before calling them. Then had to find someone else to fix it... which makes me question why did I bother with RCR and not just find someone to fix it in the first place?

On 16/08/2021 at 14:45, zenataomm said:

Good luck Laurie, I'll have my elbows crossed for you.

Cheers Zen, after 2 days RCR turned up with the replacement gearbox, only to find out that it was the drive plate that was broken.

Which was what I had suspected in the first place. So another 2 day passed and they fitted a new drive plate. All OK now elbows crossed.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Cheers Zen, after 2 days RCR turned up with the replacement gearbox, only to find out that it was the drive plate that was broken.

Which was what I had suspected in the first place. So another 2 day passed and they fitted a new drive plate. All OK now elbows crossed.

All's well that ends well... :)

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Glad you are sorted but that’s really not a good reflection on RCR is it! 

28 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Another re-enforcement of my deep distrust of RCR and their dubious business practices.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, frangar said:

Glad you are sorted but that’s really not a good reflection on RCR is it! 

Well at least they fixed my boat which is better than the two other firms I contacted that said they would help but never turned up.

8 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

And why it’s often wise to carry spares of all sorts, including drive plates.

And a spare boat

• Greenie 2

On 16/08/2021 at 09:43, MtB said:

Not that I'm in RCR currently but I'd never thought of that as one of their wheezes.  Do gearboxes carry a serial number? If so it should be easy to discover an approximate manufacturing date from the manufacturer. The limitation that always makes me smile is the 2 hour limit on a 'free' tow.  I spent that long getting through one lock last week. 

19 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Another re-enforcement of my deep distrust of RCR and their dubious business practices.

Well, I'm keeping  my membership. So they made a wrong decision about the gearbox, they admitted it and solved my problem.

9 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Well, I'm keeping  my membership. So they made a wrong decision about the gearbox, they admitted it and solved my problem.

I would have thought a drive plate would have been the first thing they’d check…if it was the gearbox it would need to come out…so remove box…find broken drive plate…surmise it’s that..fit new drive plate…refit box….off you go… If it turns out to be the box…unlikely once you’ve found the broken plate…it means it’s only cost a hour or so extra in time to remove the box again to fit a new one. If the drive plate was ok then think about it being the box. 

Just seems a bizarre way of diagnosing a fault to my mind once you have someone on site. I also assume they learn from customer call outs so know drive plates are a thing which breaks more often than a gearbox. 

I asked my insurance company if I could have a reduction in premium as apparently I now get retainer membership included…but they weren’t obliging. 

20 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Yes, Laurie's experience might give one cause to question RCR's mechanical competence in not diagnosing the problem correctly first time (on the other hand we all make mistakes), but I'm not sure how it would make one distrust their business practices?

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Yes, Laurie's experience might give one cause to question RCR's mechanical competence in not diagnosing the problem correctly first time (on the other hand we all make mistakes), but I'm not sure how it would make one distrust their business practices?

Because they seem to like to replace major components that somehow cost their customer money despite all the advertising about replacement parts cover…and those components are possibly of variable quality….

Oh and one of the MD’s love to threaten you if dare to criticise them….

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

Because they seem to like to replace major components that somehow cost their customer money despite all the advertising about replacement parts cover…and those components are possibly of variable quality….

Stephanie has not found me yet. So I will go on criticising and revealing their short comings.

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

Except that's not what's actually happened in Laurie's case...

• Greenie 1