Shanks diesel eng.

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You don't half talk tripe sometimes.

@Liam took over the wharf recently so diesel there isn't going to be half water half diesel bug.

I was going to say it's not old diesel, but remembered it's a fossil fuel - it's supposed to be old!

How recently? I went past about 3 weeks ago and it was all looking very shut up with no signs of life or even signs saying it’s been taken over…it was heavily shuttered and looking quite sorry for itself.

The last I had heard was that whoever took it over from Claymore navigation had decided they didn’t want to run it for whatever reason. 

Full marks to @Liam for taking it over as I’m sure he will turn in back into a useful boaters stop. 

Edited by frangar

22 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Last 600 ltrs I bought in July was 54p / ltr. Most marinas and fuel boats are selling at 84p to 90p.  We have a 5000ltr bulk store.

Presumably excuding VAT as most commercial quotes are.

Which is around what I'm paying for 1000 litres, but that is the rebated price for agricultural use.

Whilst Boiler Juice are not the most competitive, todays price for 1000 litres of Agricultural (Rebated) Red Diesel (Gas Oil) is 62.95ppl + VAT for a "anytime in the next 7 day delivery"

When the seller adds on the duty at 57.95ppl for 'propulsion' and takes a 60/40 split you can see where the 80-90ppl comes from.

If the seller is not making a declaration and is selling at 100% domestic, or the price is simply for 'domestic' then they could certainly afford to sell at 60-70ppl

At todays prices they will probably be increasing their prices somewhat,

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well Hawne Basin were selling at 63p against most people around 90p and that is still making a profit 

And, at what declaration percentage is the 63ppl ?

Are we comparing apples, bananas and oranges ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well Hawne Basin were selling at 63p against most people around 90p and that is still making a profit 

That will include the 10ppl discount for putting it in a boat if they are still doing that, so it's 73ppl pump price domestic.

11 minutes ago, Kez said:

I  am the woman who "refused" to serve you diesel.
You first walked round and met my dad, who you told you had no drums and asked if we did. He said no and he didn't think we could help. You came round anyway and I told told you that no we did not have drums and that, and I cannot stress this enough, that we were not actually open.
You then suggested you had a "5 litre bottle of deionized water" you could use.
For one, that is not an appropriate container. 
I did tell you that I couldn't easily access any of the switches for the pump and I wouldn't be dismantling the wharf just for 5 litres in a water bottle.
At half past 6 (when I was actually eating my dinner, good call @Alan de Enfield 😂 )you backed your boat to the wharf you had already been told was not open and asked for diesel.
I repeated that we were closed.
@Frangar, yes the wharf was all shut up last month as I had the family boats on drydock for a month and I cannot be in two places at once. The fuel tank has been cleaned and is perfectly fine.
Liam and I took on the wharf approximately 2 months ago and we are still moving in, unpacking and starting to bring the place back to life. It was hard used for 40 years then left derelict for a few, so yes it looks unloved but it wont do when we've had a chance to get stuck in.

Get some signs up saying you are now the new owner!…even if that’s just a contact number…and publicise it on here & social media!

I like to think I’ve got my ear to the towpath telegraph but I didn’t know you’d taken it over. 

Best of luck and I look forward to calling in when you are operational. 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Kez said:

I  am the woman who "refused" to serve you diesel.

There is always 2-sides to  story, good you got the chance to put your side and balance it up.

I'm sure you also pointed out to him that you would be breaking the law if you dispensed diesel fuel into a 'water bottle'.

From the .Gov website :

(i) Carriage of up to 1000 litres of diesel (UN 1202)

Diesel is assigned to Transport Category 3 in ADR, which permits carriage of up to 1,000 litres in UN-approved packages per transport unit (a motor vehicle with or without an attached trailer) without most of the CDG 2009 applying (see sub-section 1.1.3.6 of ADR).

What is required:

• compliance with the packaging requirements (see ADR part 4). Diesel must be carried in a suitable UN approved packaging; for example, within UN approved Jerricans or Drums (ADR 6.1)
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, frangar said:

Get some signs up saying you are now the new owner!…even if that’s just a contact number…and publicise it on here & social media!

I like to think I’ve got my ear to the towpath telegraph but I didn’t know you’d taken it over. 

Best of luck and I look forward to calling in when you are operational. 

I'm in the process of painting up our new signs, as soon as they're done they'll be everywhere!
We're hoping to have a proper opening 'do' when we get everything unpacked, so watch this space 😁

• Love 1

17 hours ago, robanfield said:

I would like to mention something, he went to get fuel from this boat station and he only had 2. 5 ltr cans as he couldnt move the boat because of overheating. The woman there said she would not unlock the fuel pump for such a small amount. Today after fixing the overheating problem we drove the boat back to fill up, the same woman came out and would,nt serve us as it was 6.30pm and she was shut. So much for helping the boating fraternity.

@robanfield Why would you expect a business to open for you at a time when such businesses are usually closed, especially when all you wanted was a piffling amount? Could you not have waited until the next morning?

Do you expect your local supermarket, petrol station, pub or whatever to serve you out of hours?

You had a sympathetic and helpful response from various forum members up to that point. The inability to get fuel at 6.30 pm may have been frustrating for you, but did it really justify naming and shaming? 

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

@robanfield Why would you expect a business to open for you at a time when such businesses are usually closed, especially when all you wanted was a piffling amount? Could you not have waited until the next morning?

Do you expect your local supermarket, petrol station, pub or whatever to serve you out of hours?

You had a sympathetic and helpful response from various forum members up to that point. The inability to get fuel at 6.30 pm may have been frustrating for you, but did it really justify naming and shaming? 

I think that should now read "attempted naming and shaming". I suspect the majority here have every sympathy with Kez and may would have been very forceful at the second after hours attempt to get fuel. I think any sympathy anyone had for the OP has now evaporated.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I think that should now read "attempted naming and shaming". I suspect the majority here have every sympathy with Kez and may would have been very forceful at the second after hours attempt to get fuel. I think any sympathy anyone had for the OP has now evaporated.

Indeed. The good thing to come out of it is we now know…or those of us who didn’t do now…😳 that the old Claymoore base is being taken over by some true waterways enthusiasts and I for one look forward to it prospering. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree with the principle, but I read that robanfield is simply the mouthpiece for the boat owner who did the complaining.

Maybe @robanfield would care to name and shame his 'mate' now he knows the facts, his mate can then be the one sent to Coventry (an awful place to go, but not too bad once you get there) and robanfield's reputation remains unsullied.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I agree with the principle, but I read that robanfield is simply the mouthpiece for the boat owner who did the complaining.

Maybe @robanfield would care to name and shame his 'mate' now he knows the facts, his mate can then be the one sent to Coventry (an awful place to go, but not too bad once you get there) and robanfield's reputation remains unsullied.

But the friend did not do the naming and shaming, publish the photo, or write the last paragraph of the relevant post, robanfield did all that. He had no need to, so it would appear he endorses his friend's apparent "entitlement" attitude.

6 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But the friend did not do the naming and shaming, publish the photo, or write the last paragraph of the relevant post, robanfield did all that. He had no need to, so it would appear he endorses his friend's apparent "entitlement" attitude.

Very true, hadn't thought it thru properly.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Whilst Boiler Juice are not the most competitive, todays price for 1000 litres of Agricultural (Rebated) Red Diesel (Gas Oil) is 62.95ppl + VAT for a "anytime in the next 7 day delivery"

When the seller adds on the duty at 57.95ppl for 'propulsion' and takes a 60/40 split you can see where the 80-90ppl comes from.

Most marinas are selling at 80 to 90 p domestic not 6/40 then you are well over a quid

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Most marinas are selling at 80 to 90 p domestic not 6/40 then you are well over a quid

I cannot see anyone in business selling red diesel at 63ppl, when the current agricultural purchase price for 1000s of litres INCLUDING VAT is in excess 70p

How old is the 63p price ?

Petrol and diesel has increased in price almost daily for the last few weeks and are now (apparently) almost at an all time high

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I cannot see anyone in business selling red diesel at 63ppl, when the current agricultural purchase price for 1000s of litres INCLUDING VAT is in excess 70p

Petrol and diesel has increased in price almost daily for the last few weeks and are now (apparently) almost at an all time high

Turners are 68.9p/litre domestic…and top service as always. 

Just now, frangar said:

Norbury was 74p when we came past a couple of days after Turners….however I wouldn’t buy from Norbury….a difference of opinion with the owner at one time! 🤣

You as well.  I have the same dislike after I was screamed at for using their WiFi.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You as well.  I have the same dislike after I was screamed at for using their WiFi.

Not to mention the attitude of the chap that shows the day boats out….and the hire boats. Not all the hirers can be that incompetent so it must be the tuition. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

13 May this year a few days later Wootton Wowan were 90p and on almost the same date Norbury were 69 but don't go on the GU because MK was £1 This is all for domestic