Shanks diesel eng.

Featured Posts

Hi, I am trying to help a friend who has just bought a narrow boat with the above engine, not sure yet which model, I will add when I get the info. I believe he,s used it a couple of times pottering round with no problem. Now it is overheating within minutes and he has shut it down immediately. I have seen a valve with red lever which is closed, should this be open when adding coolant? Should we try running with pressure cap removed. Does anybody know a diesel mechanic within travelling distance of Preston Brook? I am going to have a look today and hopefully have more info and pictures. If anybody could give advice as best starting point, I,m ok with cars, tools, electrics etc. I,m just rying to help him and save him from getting stung. Many thanks in advance to anybody who has the time to reply. Just received this image. The valve I was wondering about is at the top of the picture.aa48b4a6-883e-4bd7-b255-43158a4ad12a.jpg.ab84ba1f69f6985a1a866a228f34058b.jpg

To me that look a very unusual 'plumbing' system - I would only guess that the turned-off tap leads to the calorifier.

He may have another problem - there looks to be quite a bit of oil (or is it coolant & antifreeze ?) in the bottom of the engine bilge. Clean this up and monitor if it reappears.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

To me that look a very unusual 'plumbing' system - I would only guess that the turned-off tap leads to the calorifier.

He may have another problem - there looks to be quite a bit of oil (or is it coolant & antifreeze ?) in the bottom of the engine bilge. Clean this up and monitor if it reappears.

I suspect that bit of plumbing may lead to a header tank, otherwise there is nowhere for the coolant to expand into.

If I am correct, then it should be turned on. I suspect it's turned off while the system is filled via the brass plug and when the bras plug is put back in turned on and the header tank filled to a suitable level.

More photos of the whole area required. There are a number of hoses I can't understand at the moment.

He has only put small amount of water in header tank which has gone overnight. I did not see any significant amount of water in bilge.Is coolant filled through brass plug and not header tank. Do you know what is the correct fill procedure. Can not thank you guys enough!

Just waiting for more photos.

In so far as I can see it, it looks like a single 1/2" hose between header tank and  engine that runs downhill and up again. A sure fire recipe for air locking. I would fill, run and vent via the brass plug and when I was sure they skin tank and hoses had vented themselves (when all the hoses and skin tank gets hot) I would replace the   bras plug and top up the header tank to level. Others may well disagree.

In fact I would try to ensure the  expansion tank hose runs uphill all the way form engine to tank.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Suggest he also looks to put a pin in the "lid locking stay" otherwise it could slip off and the lid fall down - steel lids are heavy and could crush his skull if he is leaning into the engine hole.

Even a 'bent nail would do the job if no suitable linch pin or R-Pin is available.

71SneIv2mcL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

310kAq-gqWL._AC_.jpg

c40745b8-8100-4fa1-aac6-3672e549a061.jpg

Thanks a million you have been really helpful. I went to help him today and he had put some water in header tank. I opened the valve which was closed and there was loads of gurgles etc and tank immediately emptied into engine, I put more water in and started engine with valve open and pressure cap left off header tank and ran engine for about 10 mins, then I replaced pressure cap and closed valve. Everything seems to be perfect now, no overheating all normal and we drove the boat round for over an hour. I am really pleased for him and thanks again for your help and advice about engine cover. I would like to mention something, he went to get fuel from this boat station and he only had 2. 5 ltr cans as he couldnt move the boat because of overheating. The woman there said she would not unlock the fuel pump for such a small amount. Today after fixing the overheating problem we drove the boat back to fill up, the same woman came out and would,nt serve us as it was 6.30pm and she was shut. So much for helping the boating fraternity! This was at Preston Brook, I will attach photo so people will know not to expect any help from them. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by DHutch
Image removed and request of the boats owner.

1 minute ago, robanfield said:

............................the same woman came out and would,nt serve us as it was 6.30pm and she was shut. So much for helping the boating fraternity!

The other side of the story ............

The village shop was closed, you wanted a pint of milk, so knocked on the door anyway, and the woman, who was in the middle of having her dinner, told you "we are closed, come back tommorow".

Would you come on the forum complaining that when you went to the shop after closing time they refused to serve you ?

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, robanfield said:

I would like to mention something, he went to get fuel from this boat station and he only had 2. 5 ltr cans as he couldnt move the boat because of overheating. The woman there said she would not unlock the fuel pump for such a small amount. Today after fixing the overheating problem we drove the boat back to fill up, the same woman came out and would,nt serve us as it was 6.30pm and she was shut. So much for helping the boating fraternity! This was at Preston Brook, I will attach photo so people will know not to expect any help from them. Thanks again for your help.

Profits on fuel sales are very slim - some places wont even take payment on credit cards for it because the transaction fee pretty much wipes everything out.  Boat yards aren't like petrol stations - most places aren't open past 5pm.

13 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Profits on fuel sales are very slim - 

No they are not, I know what the trade prices of red are and they can be making 34p per litre !  That's a big percentage.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

12 minutes ago, StephenA said:

So what are the trade prices for Red

And how much does it cost to be allowed to sell fuel ?

Licence, RCDO registration (to legally sell red diesel) equipment maintenance / replacement, equipment checks for accuracy (trading standards), infrastructure, wages, accountancy, VAT collection,  etc etc.

There is a big diffrence between margin and actual profit when cost are taken into account, but non-business people take the simple view they bought it for X, they sell it for Y therefore the profit is Y-X

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, robanfield said:

Thanks a million you have been really helpful. I went to help him today and he had put some water in header tank. I opened the valve which was closed and there was loads of gurgles etc and tank immediately emptied into engine, I put more water in and started engine with valve open and pressure cap left off header tank and ran engine for about 10 mins, then I replaced pressure cap and closed valve. Everything seems to be perfect now, no overheating all normal and we drove the boat round for over an hour. I am really pleased for him and thanks again for your help and advice about engine cover. I would like to mention something, he went to get fuel from this boat station and he only had 2. 5 ltr cans as he couldnt move the boat because of overheating. The woman there said she would not unlock the fuel pump for such a small amount. Today after fixing the overheating problem we drove the boat back to fill up, the same woman came out and would,nt serve us as it was 6.30pm and she was shut. So much for helping the boating fraternity! This was at Preston Brook, I will attach photo so people will know not to expect any help from them. Thanks again for your help.585615196_20210809_183759(2).jpg.3388cd345a7d96405f2b574c0798140a.jpg

I thought the yard at Preston brook was derelict now! It looked abandoned when we went past the other month with no signs of life whatsoever. You may have had a lucky escape not being able to get fuel from there as It might well have been in a tank for a while collecting all sorts of bugs. 

3 hours ago, frangar said:

I thought the yard at Preston brook was derelict now! It looked abandoned when we went past the other month with no signs of life whatsoever. You may have had a lucky escape not being able to get fuel from there as It might well have been in a tank for a while collecting all sorts of bugs. 

You don't half talk tripe sometimes.

@Liam took over the wharf recently so diesel there isn't going to be half water half diesel bug.

I was going to say it's not old diesel, but remembered it's a fossil fuel - it's supposed to be old!