Swansea Canal Lock Numbering

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

A quick quety,

I'm doing a lot of work on the Swansea canal at Clydach, where a lock is buried in a former council depot. I'm framing an accurate and unique identifier for this lock. e.g a name and number

According to Bradshaws 1918 "Lock 36" was in Swansea, Lock 32 was next to Cwm Clydach Station, these have disappeard but reference to old OS maps makes the lock I'm talking about lock 30 and the lock below, which still survives, is lock 31. According to my local sources lock 31 is "Mond Lock", the buried lock (30) is "Clydach Lock"

Unhelpfully CRT have named the survining lock 31 "Clydach Lock" but don't appear to have given it a number. Other sources give it number 6 (which counting up from Swansea it is!) 

Does anyone know which end of the canal Swansea locks were numbered from?  

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

A quick query,

I'm doing a lot of work on the Swansea canal at Clydach, where a lock is buried in a former council depot. I'm framing an accurate and unique identifier for this lock. e.g a name and number 

"The lock located at xxxxx N by yyyyy W, hereinafter referred to as 'The Lock'"?

The Waterways Archive has a map from GWR times (Michael Ware Collection) which shows the location of the locks, but does not identify a numbering system. The bridges on the CRT map indicate a numbering that does start at Swansea, however.

swansea map.jpg