Working boat Ellesmere

canalboat

Featured Posts

There are two "buckby" cans on ebay at present. The seller says they recently sold their working boat pair and these cans came from Ellesmere.  I can't find reference to a working boat named Ellesmere. Does anyone know of this boat and what it was paired with?  Or does he mean they have nothing to do with the pair of bots he sold but that hey come from Ellesmere Port?

41 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Thankyou for the info. Strange that I could not find it listed on the usual working boat archives. Must be old age.

Looking at the picture of Ellesmere posted above I’d be inclined to suggest it was purpose built as a hotel boat and not part of any ‘historic’ company as the ballast needed to get a carrying boat that low in the water would probably take up an awful lot of the cabin space!

5 hours ago, IanM said:

Looking at the picture of Ellesmere posted above I’d be inclined to suggest it was purpose built as a hotel boat and not part of any ‘historic’ company as the ballast needed to get a carrying boat that low in the water would probably take up an awful lot of the cabin space!

Ellesmere was built as the open boat Lisbon for LMS in 1930 by Yarwoods of Northwich.  Station boats, as these boats are referred to, had lower sides than most other working boats.  They were designed to take light goods to railway interchange basins on the BCN for transshipment to rail.

Paul