Which brand of Carnauba wax

shiprat

Featured Posts

I've attempted to wax my boat for the first time using Craftmaster "Carnauba Wax". I've discovered it to be a polish not a wax - as has been discussed on here previously colour comes off on my cloth. Its done a sterling job on the plain areas, but I can't use it over painted detail as the white lettering would end up looking blueish.

Looking for a product that is definitely wax only please?

12 minutes ago, shiprat said:

I've attempted to wax my boat for the first time using Craftmaster "Carnauba Wax". I've discovered it to be a polish not a wax - as has been discussed on here previously colour comes off on my cloth. Its done a sterling job on the plain areas, but I can't use it over painted detail as the white lettering would end up looking blueish.

Looking for a product that is definitely wax only please?

Sign writing paint tends to have far more pigment that ordinary enamel, and thus less of the polymers that form the paint film. This makes it softer and more ready to oxidise and shed pigment, as you have found. It is the nature of the paint, and you are correct that regular polishing over the years will tend to remove more signwriting than base paint.

Most polishes, even wax ones like the one you have used, are likely to contain cleaners even though they are wax based. I fear that to meet your specific wants, you need to look at the car detailing market and after using various cleaning and blemish removing product apply a resin shield, but doing that is still likely to remove more signwriting paint that you are happy with.

You are probably stuck with the signwriting and unless it is totally  removed at repaint time is likely to show through the new paint as a shadow. At that time you might consider vinyl lettering and decoration.

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Better to varnish over sign written panels, so the signwriting is protected from both general wear and tear and from polishing.

But first spend a long time ensuring you have removed all the wax you have just applied and be prepared to rub down and revarnish regularly, otherwise it could easily end up with flaking varnish and looking a mess.

The best wax only I have found is Simoniz.  Others like Meguiars.  Simoniz still has a slight tendency to pick up oxidized blue paint, but is fine  on the red name panel and the lettering.

You need to get the weather right  as it is impossible stuff in bright sunlight or hot days.  It is not easy work either, but less strenuous than hand polishing and well worth it.

N

• Happy 1

• 1 month later...