Charles Hadfield

Heartland

Featured Posts

According to Joseph, Charles Hadfield died 25 years ago on this day August 6th. Charles made a considerable contribution to waterways history, both in this country and abroad. 25 years on what can be said to have been his legacy.

• Greenie 1

With 150 views and 2 responses, Charles Hadfield seems to be a forgotten historian, Despite the fact that his works and contributions have had enormous impact on the understanding of waterways history, a modern generation seems to have less interest in his accomplishments. May be there is now less interest in Waterways History. There is more interest in rescuing a deer from a lock than commenting on Charles Hadfield, it would seem.

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

With 150 views and 2 responses, Charles Hadfield seems to be a forgotten historian, Despite the fact that his works and contributions have had enormous impact on the understanding of waterways history, a modern generation seems to have less interest in his accomplishments. May be there is now less interest in Waterways History. There is more interest in rescuing a deer from a lock than commenting on Charles Hadfield, it would seem.

@Heartland Unfrotunately many who are interested in the history of our canals no longer post here.

Not Charles Hadfield but Charles Hadlow as some compensation

https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-23041968-waterways-museum

Arthur and Rose Bray with Ernie Kendall.

Edited by Ray T

I have most of Charles Hadfields canal books in my library. I believe he also either colaborated or contributed to works by other authors. A true giant of the canal history world. Hard to believe that he passed away 25 years ago. Many of my canal books were purchased from Thorpes booksellers in Guldford( many at bargain prices.Try buying new hardback book for £2.50 nowadays) .What happened to David and Charles publishers. I have a vague memory that it was sold on?

12 hours ago, Ray T said:

@Heartland Unfrotunately many who are interested in the history of our canals no longer post here.

Not Charles Hadfield but Charles Hadlow as some compensation

https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-23041968-waterways-museum

Arthur and Rose Bray with Ernie Kendall.

Sadly those on the cut that are interested in the history or tradition seem to get less every year…hence the demise of traditionally painted craft and even locking techniques. People now want mice in wine glasses painted on the side and a dishwasher it seems

37 minutes ago, frangar said:

Sadly those on the cut that are interested in the history or tradition seem to get less every year…hence the demise of traditionally painted craft and even locking techniques. People now want mice in wine glasses painted on the side and a dishwasher it seems

Not forgetting the jacuzzi and bow thruster.

Our first steps into the canal world were in the early eighties, much later than many. We focussed on the boats, the history, and at that time, the practices of working boats, locking and use of straps from several ex-working boaters then (mostly) on maintenance and lock keeping. It was all part and parcel of maintaining working practices - and our boat roof was always clear of the tat of plant pots, coal bags and whatnot. We left the cut in 2012 having lived afloat for the first twelve years of our married life and later ownership for a further thirteen years of TYCHO. We saw the changes and we had become strangers. We will not be back.

11 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Not forgetting the jacuzzi and bow thruster.

Our first steps into the canal world were in the early eighties, much later than many. We focussed on the boats, the history, and at that time, the practices of working boats, locking and use of straps from several ex-working boaters then (mostly) on maintenance and lock keeping. It was all part and parcel of maintaining working practices - and our boat roof was always clear of the tat of plant pots, coal bags and whatnot. We left the cut in 2012 having lived afloat for the first twelve years of our married life and later ownership for a further thirteen years of TYCHO. We saw the changes and we had become strangers. We will not be back.

I’ve lived aboard for close on 30 years now…my attitude is you need to stay and uphold as many traditions as you can.

It’s interesting that I’m often told I can’t be a liveaboard as my roof isnt full of clutter & junk….it’s not always tongue in cheek either. 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’ve lived aboard for close on 30 years now…my attitude is you need to stay and uphold as many traditions as you can.

It’s interesting that I’m often told I can’t be a liveaboard as my roof isnt full of clutter & junk….it’s not always tongue in cheek either. 

Hey Gareth, it's a cabin top!

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

I had several pm conversations with the late X Alan W of this parish and he was dispareing of the route "our" canals were taking.

I often walk the dog along various canals and will occasionally engage young people and ask them "Apart from a canal do you know what you are looking at?"

Invariably the answer is "no." 

I then bore them silly with a potted history of which ever canal it may happen to be and why the canal is where it is. The Coventry, Oxford or GU in these cases.

I also suggest, if they are interested, they purchase a copy of Tom Chaplin's "Narrow Boat" and if they want to take it further, hire a day boat.

• Greenie 2

I read Tom Rolt Narrowboat, I think Chaplin wrote the sequel.....

(s)

58 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I had several pm conversations with the late X Alan W of this parish and he was dispareing of the route "our" canals were taking.

I often walk the dog along various canals and will occasionally engage young people and ask them "Apart from a canal do you know what you are looking at?"

Invariably the answer is "no." 

I then bore them silly with a potted history of which ever canal it may happen to be and why the canal is where it is. The Coventry, Oxford or GU in these cases.

I also suggest, if they are interested, they purchase a copy of Tom Chaplin's "Narrow Boat" and if they want to take it further, hire a day boat.

Journeys of the Swan by John Liley (of this parish) gives a real feel for the period before the real take of of leisure boating. When we started in the 1960s the great majority of boaters were really interested in the traditions and history of the waterways even if they did have small grp. cruisers know by the old boatmen as Tupperware. Now when I walk at Braunston or up Napton it seems more a contest between how shiny the boats are and how slow you can go through a lock.

no good offering to help because they know it all.

5 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Journeys of the Swan by John Liley (of this parish) gives a real feel for the period before the real take of of leisure boating. When we started in the 1960s the great majority of boaters were really interested in the traditions and history of the waterways even if they did have small grp. cruisers know by the old boatmen as Tupperware. Now when I walk at Braunston or up Napton it seems more a contest between how shiny the boats are and how slow you can go through a lock.

I still call plastic boats Tupperware…i get a lot of blank looks…

I shall hopefully be calling in to see Swans present custodian tomorrow….in a setting that befits it. 

22 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

I wonder how much of the growing disinterest in the history and traditions of the cut is fueled by a Tory ministers comment "The canals are the answer to our housing shortage" and a certain marina on the GU which advertised a boat as "Your first step on the housing ladder?" It no longer does by the way.

In comparison preserved railways seem to be doing better in this area, attracting both young women and men who have an avid interest in the railway past.

As a note "you" don't have to own an ex working boat to have historical interest in the past. I don't, I have a "noddy" boat which I have roses and castles on the back doors plus water can, mop, hand bowl plus other artifacts relevant to the past  in and on the boat.

I try to operate the locks as taught by a retired NarrowBoat captain I see regularly. Some practices here are an anathema to the powers that be today.

I even got to use a "Atherston Wedge" when both paddles on the uphill side of one of the locks on the Glascote flight were broken. How many know how that was used and why?

Atherstone Wedge.jpg

Edited by Ray T

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I wonder how much of the growing disinterest in the history and traditions of the cut is fueled by a Tory ministers comment "The canals are the answer to our housing shortage" and a certain marina on the GU which advertised a boat as "Your first step on the housing ladder?" It no longer does by the way.

In comparison preserved railways seem to be doing better in this area, attracting both young women and men who have an avid interest in the railway past.

As a note "you" don't have to own an ex working boat to have historical interest in the past. I don't, I have a "noddy" boat which I have roses and castles on the back doors plus water can, mop, hand bowl plus other artifacts relevant to the past  in and on the boat.

I try to operate the locks as taught by a retired NarrowBoat captain I see regularly.

I even got to use a "Atherston Wedge" when both paddles on the uphill side of the Glascote flight were broken. How many know how that was used and why?

Atherstone Wedge.jpg

I've seen a certain ex working boatman use the head of a mallet as an Atherston Wedge.

We have had a few new members join the heritage working boats group recently including a very keen 16 year old who has a very good knowledge and interest in canals and working boats.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I've seen a certain ex working boatman use the head of a mallet as an Atherston Wedge.

We have had a few new members join the heritage working boats group recently including a very keen 16 year old who has a very good knowledge and interest in canals and working boats.

Mines a once rather fine chair leg I found halfway up Aston in Brum many years ago.