Canal planner AC

Sloe Roamin

Featured Posts

I have always used Canal Planner AC for route planning but suddenly I can't get it to work on my PC (Windows 10 home, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome browsers). I enter all the details but  it goes right back to the first screen instead of working out the route, I have tried to raise a fault report but that process crashes too. I have two questions, does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know how to contact the people behind the tool?

I don't want to use a different tool, I have looked at a couple and they don't give me the detail I need.

It works fine on my android phone but that isn't so convenient to work with when looking at long trips with multiple possible routes.

It works fine for me as a logged-in user. Just tried a test route plan without problems.

Site issues will always be more a function of your browser rather than operating system.

I recommend the Brave browser (https://brave.com/).
Tor is also good as a way around your own internet service provider placing restrictions on where you can browse (
https://www.torproject.org/download/)
Both of these browsers are free.

Also make sure you haven't set up something in your firewall or router enforcing a block somewhere. If this means nothing to you, you probably haven't done it. In Windows, the Hosts file can sometime be written to by malware, but it's unlikely to happen if you aren't always accepting strange programs to run at administrator privilege. Again, ignore if what I wrote looks like Chinese.

9 hours ago, Sloe Roamin said:

I can't get it to work on my PC (Windows 10 home, Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome browsers). I enter all the details but  it goes right back to the first screen instead of working out the route,

It may possibly be a change that Google made to Chrome, that they are now reversing as it broke quite a few web sites. https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/05/google_chrome_iframe/

MS Edge is also based on Chrome these days. Worth having a non chrome based browser available too. Firefox is one, which is also used in the Tor browser @Puffling mentions.

No idea if this is the cause of the problems you saw, but canalplan makes heavy use of notification windows, so it's possible.

9 hours ago, Sloe Roamin said:

...Canal Planner AC ... Does anyone know how to contact the people behind the tool?

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

@StephenA ...

Also, there's a forum: https://canalplan.uk/forums/index.php - so you can bypass the main interface to do a report.

Did you log in, btw: that can make a difference in some screens.

And (pedant alert) rather than "Canal Planner AC" it's CanalplanAC because ...

... then it's palindromic 🙂

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Thanks to all for your thoughts, especially the canalplanac forum link. After talking to Microsoft support It's beginning to look like there is a problem on the PC (Microsoft Surface Pro 6) that is affecting this, though the PC fault is intermittent and random but canal plan ac is reacting completely consistently in failing to give me route plans. By the way I am registered with canal plan ac and automatically log in when using it on the PC as I mostly travel single-handed so I have my own settings for hours per day, lock times, etc.

Once again, thanks for helping me isolate the problem.

4 hours ago, Puffling said:

It works fine for me as a logged-in user. Just tried a test route plan without problems.

Site issues will always be more a function of your browser rather than operating system.

I recommend the Brave browser (https://brave.com/).
Tor is also good as a way around your own internet service provider placing restrictions on where you can browse (
https://www.torproject.org/download/)
Both of these browsers are free.

Also make sure you haven't set up something in your firewall or router enforcing a block somewhere. If this means nothing to you, you probably haven't done it. In Windows, the Hosts file can sometime be written to by malware, but it's unlikely to happen if you aren't always accepting strange programs to run at administrator privilege. Again, ignore if what I wrote looks like Chinese.

I use Chrome, windows 10 with no problem, just tried it to test

No code changes since the 1st. No server issues.

MS Edge (the new versions) basically use Chromium, which is also what Chrome uses.

If you can PM me you IP address  - type

whats my ip

into your search engine

Then I can check to see if we've got anything showing up in the logs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, I learnt some new things about Canal Plan AC along the way. It is now working, another seemingly unrelated problem that caused the cursor to get locked to grey circles across the screen forced me to load a system recovery image and that solved both issues.

Thanks again for your help.

1 hour ago, Sloe Roamin said:

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, I learnt some new things about Canal Plan AC along the way. It is now working, another seemingly unrelated problem that caused the cursor to get locked to grey circles across the screen forced me to load a system recovery image and that solved both issues.

Thanks again for your help.

Well that's obscure and drastic - but glad it's working properly now you've had to rebuild your PC