Securing hatched with internal latches, coach bolts or pop-rivets?

Featured Posts

As title. I'm looking to switch from external padlocks to internal bolts. As I can't weld, my options are either coach bolts (not sure how the square section works with steel doors) or pop-rivets. 

As with most things on the boat, my initial ideas are often not the best and searching here has already yielded many opinions on this sort of thing. I don't expect anyone to tell me how exactly they secure their hatches, all I'm looking for is advice on the best way to secure latches to the inside of steel doors. 

Thanks! 

Pop rivets are very soft and easily drilled out. Bolts would be better. For coach bolts drill round holes then file them out square to take the square section under the bolt head. A pain of a job for which you will need a small square or triangular file. That way nobody can undo them from the outside (but you can from the inside), and the domed heads will look like rivets!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Same theme but pin hex in a plethora of sizes…

https://www.tcfixings.co.uk/product/m10-x-30mm-h6-pin-hex-a2-button-head-security-screws/13201

Coach bolts are much more secure than button heads etc and look better. Making a round hole square is much quicker than it might sound.

Coach bolts are available in black stainless which is rather nice.

• Greenie 1