Solo mooring

Woodwych

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, dixi188 said:

IanD said:Β Β it doesn't take 100% attention to steer a boat.

Β 

Well in my experience it only takes a moments inattention for the boat to be heading for the bank or trees.

I have peed over the stern when single handed but I stop the boat first and make sure no one is around.

Irony alert... πŸ˜‰

24 minutes ago, IanD said:

You don't need no steenking periscope, just a webcam in the bows. Then you can use the same phone to see and control the boat while you're sitting on the throne. And scan through Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and so on while you're at it, it doesn't take 100% attention to steer a boat.

Β 

A side benefit is you only look straight ahead so you don't see or get into arguments with fisherman or moored boaters complaining you're going too fast... πŸ˜‰

Β 

In fact it occurs to me that you don't need to be on the boat at all, you could do all this over t'interweb while filling up somebody else's toilet, like a pub's...

Β 

Actually, why go to all the bother and expense of having a boat (and having to dispose of the effluent) at all? You could get exactly the same experience with a suitable video game from a throne in the location of your choice...

I posted some time ago that you can have a boating experience without the expense.

Simply walk the towpath with your windlass and empty or fill locks as you pass.πŸ˜ƒ

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

You don't need no steenking periscope, just a webcam in the bows. Then you can use the same phone to see and control the boat while you're sitting on the throne. And scan through Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and so on while you're at it, it doesn't take 100% attention to steer a boat.

Β 

A side benefit is you only look straight ahead so you don't see or get into arguments with fisherman or moored boaters complaining you're going too fast... πŸ˜‰

Β 

Β 

Β 

Actually, why go to all the bother and expense of having a boat (and having to dispose of the effluent) at all? You could get exactly the same experience with a suitable video game from a throne in the location of your choice...

I think you may be on to something there.

Is it possible to have a video game with the actual canal and route programmed in?

For example,my next planned trip is from Huddersfield to Froghall Basin on the Caldon canal,via the C+H,the Rochdale,the Trent and Mersey.Return via the Macclesfield,the Ashton and back on the Rochdale.(Before anyone asks,grp and petrol powered are not allowed to use the Standedge Tunnel)

It's something like a ten to twelve day trip each way and would be better than the real thing in that you wouldn't get wet when it rains,or worry about refuelling,or groceries and you can sleep in your own bed.

Β 

Wouldn't be as much fun though, would it?

Seriously though,something like that could be very useful for planning a trip.

Β