Family tree help- Hodson family

Freeman89

Featured Posts

Hiya i am currently researching my nans birth family. Her birth mother died when she was a baby and her name was Catherine Hodson, she was born in Salford on a boat and her sister Elizabeth Hodson was born in Wolverhampton on a boat also.

We have very limited information on the family and have been trying for years to find out more information.

I also know the maiden name of Catherine and Elizabeth's mother was Mullarky. We are lead to believe that she and their father came over from Ireland.

Is there anyone that could.help point me in the right direction into getting any help or futher information. 

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Freeman89

Anyone interested in family trees will probably have access to on-line databases such as FindMyPast, Ancestry, etc. If you had some approximate birth dates (and they are pre-1911) I could do a quick Census search for you. Living on a boat (and moving about) could make it difficult to find the correct census record but once found you'd be pretty confident you had the right family. Also, how confident are you in the spelling of 'Mullarky'?

11 hours ago, Freeman89 said:

Hiya i am currently researching my nans birth family. Her birth mother died when she was a baby and her name was Catherine Hodson, she was born in Salford on a boat and her sister Elizabeth Hodson was born in Wolverhampton on a boat also.

We have very limited information on the family and have been trying for years to find out more information.

I also know the maiden name of Catherine and Elizabeth's mother was Mullarky. We are lead to believe that she and their father came over from Ireland.

Is there anyone that could.help point me in the right direction into getting any help or futher information. 

Thank you in advance.

I see you've already set up a family tree on Ancestry - I presume it's yours - and you've only got back as far as Mary Mullarky, your grandmother.  You will have seen on the Catholic Birth Registers that there are scores of Mary/Maria Mularkys from Ireland from around the correct date.  Have  you got birth certificates of your mother and grandmother?  This might narrow the area of Ireland Mary came from.  

Best of luck with the family research.

By the way, since there is a boating family connection, you might try contacting Lorna York (she posts on this forum). She has an encyclopaedic knowledge and a huge database.

Edited by koukouvagia

I don't know if you "do" Facebook but these sites may help?

A Waterways Heritage - Family History | Facebook

Life On The Cut In The Bygone Days | Facebook

Also: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/.../national-waterways-museum

Search their Archive section.

"NarrowBoat" Magazine has these articles:

Tracing family history:

A Tale of two Smiths: Autumn 2007

Paper Trail: Winter 2006

Spellweaver: winter 2016 

Ancestors discovered: Spring 2016

Canal genealogy sources: Autumn 2019

Parish registers boaters' churches: Summer 2006

Consulting certificates Tracing birth, death, marriage certificates: Spring 2006.

(My note, these are essential to prove lineage. At the current cost of £11 per certificate the "hobby" can get costly.  Be wary of others trees, many jump to erroneous conclusions.)

Canal boat registers: Spring 2007

Don't be mislead by TV programmes like "Who do you think you are." Or “Find my Past” Adverts where you put in a name and Hey Ho, as if by magic, your family history, complete with photographs appears. Tracing families is very time consuming and can be an expensive business, taking approximately 200 hours to get back 5 generations.

So, don't expect people to give away their hard earned research. I'm afraid if you are really serious in tracing your boating ancestors you have much work ahead of you. Even then it never really ends.
Another lead is cemeteries where boat people are buried, these often give quite accurate dates of births and deaths. Boaters tended to bring their loved ones to what was considered "home port" for funerals and burial. One example being, Braunston in Northamptonshire.

Good luck with your research.

Edited by Ray T

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Yes that is the correct spelling of Mullarky. It is the only information that was on my nans parents wedding certificate.

Yes that is my family tree on ancestry, i must of added the Mary Mullarky by mistake as i cannot be sure that is her name.

My nan has very littlw information on her birth mother, she died when she was a baby and her dad remarried and was never allowed to talk about her. We do know her dad was alot younger than her birth mom and we did actually find out through research that she was actually older than what she had told my nans father.

As i say we really dont have alot of information on them and we have gotten all we can from our local archives as we definitely know that my nans maternal grandmother came from ireland. We know they we part of the boating community and that is all we know.

I would never expect anyone to do all my work for me as i know how expensive it is as we have already spent money tracing them. It is just really important for my nan to know where she came from and more about her family. Just wanted some advice on where wpuld be best to look with the little information that we do have.

• Greenie 1

I have at least three unlinked instances of Hodson’s appearing in my own compilation of boating families to which I can link my own ancestors.

None directly link to the information above but one of the families concerned are very well connected to a number of well known Cheshire boating families.

I’ll do a bit of work later on to see if I can link them to the folk above. Any further information - particularly of marriages to other boating families - would be useful.

JP

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I have at least three unlinked instances of Hodson’s appearing in my own compilation of boating families to which I can link my own ancestors.

None directly link to the information above but one of the families concerned are very well connected to a number of well known Cheshire boating families.

I’ll do a bit of work later on to see if I can link them to the folk above. Any further information - particularly of marriages to other boating families - would be useful.

JP

Hiya, we have no information on the family apart from what i have already included. This is why we have had so many problems in tracing the family.

We have no knowledge of any living relatives that we know of either. As i said its my nans birth mothers family we are trying to trace, she died when my nan was a baby and her father remarried and it was never spoke of again.

• 2 months later...

Take great care when reading Census records. This chap lived in Poringland, Norfolk and here are the census entries.

.James Thurlow was born in Paringlane, Norfolk (1851), Porlan, Norfolk (L871)1, Poringland, Suffolk (1881), Porland, Norfolk (1891), Porland, Suffolk (1901) and Palling, Norfolk (1911).  

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Take great care when reading Census records. This chap lived in Poringland, Norfolk and here are the census entries.

.James Thurlow was born in Paringlane, Norfolk (1851), Porlan, Norfolk (L871)1, Poringland, Suffolk (1881), Porland, Norfolk (1891), Porland, Suffolk (1901) and Palling, Norfolk (1911).  

Appalling handwriting  by the enumerator can lead to serious errors, but as they cover a period of sixty years, it would suggests very poor transcription.

I was brought up in a village called Fleggburgh, at 15 I was an apprentice electrician working mainly around the villages, I couldn't understand the older generation in Reedham, just 10 miles away. So I can imagine a well spoken chap from the city going to Poringland to record the information.

image.png.6e744637f39f8c6163836c1509e8005c.png