Deer Rescued from Canal

cuthound

Featured Posts

I once rescued a sheep from the River Avon. The poor thing looked as if it had been there for some time and was close to expiring. It was quite a struggle to get close enough to get hold of it, and then to drag it up the steep muddy bank. All the while it is gasping as if it was breathing its last. 

And then, once I got it onto terra firma it bounded off without a care in the world, as if nothing had happened! 

Ungrateful beast!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I once rescued a sheep from the River Avon. The poor thing looked as if it had been there for some time and was close to expiring. It was quite a struggle to get close enough to get hold of it, and then to drag it up the steep muddy bank. All the while it is gasping as if it was breathing its last. 

And then, once I got it onto terra firma it bounded off without a care in the world, as if nothing had happened! 

Ungrateful beast!!

That's because you didn't film it!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

Fair play to them.

But i always wonder why people feel the need to film such things, do your deed and get on with your day.

Perhaps someone else did and said "Fair Play to you mate" here's the video clip.   Do BBC pay a price for these stories I wonder? 

Im very glad they made the effort. if it was scared it could have done some damage to them. 

Edited by Chagall

On 04/08/2021 at 14:28, David Mack said:

Ungrateful beast!!

Exactly the same thing happened to me on the River Nene. I was going past on my dinghy and saw it with it's head sticking out the water. I tried getting a rope around it and pulling it up from the bank but that didn't work so I ended up getting in the water behind it and pushing it up the bank getting very wet and muddy in the process That was actually the second one I rescued. I think the farmers just claim for lost sheep on their insurance so they don't care.

I was involved in the rescue of a young deer between the lower and middle Calcutt Locks way back in the 90's.

I say involved, I was one of several boats trying to help it, but it was thrashing about in deep mud and no one wanted to get into the water to help it out.

Then another boat arrived and a man got a rope, fashioned it into a lasso, expertly lassoed it and pulled it out.

I also helped get a sheep out of the cut once on the Shropshire Union. I couldn't believe how heavy a wet sheep is. It took 4 fullgrown n men to lift it onto the towpath.

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

Exactly the same thing happened to me on the River Nene. I was going past on my dinghy and saw it with it's head sticking out the water. I tried getting a rope around it and pulling it up from the bank but that didn't work so I ended up getting in the water behind it and pushing it up the bank getting very wet and muddy in the process That was actually the second one I rescued. I think the farmers just claim for lost sheep on their insurance so they don't care.

I use to keep some sheep with a friend on Acle Marshes, been across the river more than once to bring one back.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

I also helped get a sheep out of the cut once on the Shropshire Union. I couldn't believe how heavy a wet sheep is. It took 4 fullgrown n men to lift it onto the towpath.

I would suggest the weight depends on the breed.  We had a couple of Suffolk ewes which weighed about 16st each (101 Kg) when shorn.