Trad v Cruiser - a different question

douglasb

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, nicknorman said:

In terms of storing stuff in a trad engine room or cruiser engine bay, the other consideration is that the former is part of the accommodation and heated /dryer, whereas the latter can be cold and damp. I suspect tools etc stored long term in a cruiser engine bay would be prone to rusting.

I don't suspect.  I KNOW!

5 hours ago, douglasb said:

Once again, many thanks for all the answers. To comment on a couple of points -

I'm not so much thinking "Hmmm, Engine bay = good place to store tools" as just thinking that it's a useful general storage space and I noticed this when having a good look over my friend's boat. I'm aware that when cruising you only have what's on the boat with you and you can't just "nip out to the garden shed to pick up the ....." so every cubic centimetre of storage space has to earn its keep. The engine bay seemed to be dry and secure so was a useful area to store some items. It wouldn't be the place to store your best crockery, but it seemed like a useful place for anything that doesn't have to be instantly to hand but should be reasonably accessible. I had wondered how storage space on a cruiser compared.

I also get that you can add roof boxes for additional storage but there is a height limit depending on bridges and tunnels. The engine bay just "exists" and doesn't require any additions or modifications. Again, I get that exactly how accessible, dry, clean, etc., it is will depend on the individual boat.

Arthur makes a great point abut "getting the boat that talks to you". I've looked at some ads for boats that on the face of it tick all my boxes but looking through the photos and specs I just think "No. I don't like it". Equally, I can see an ad for something that shouldn't work for me but does. I'm absolutely open minded about stern type but my gut feel is that I'd prefer a trad

From the none trad, trads I have seen (engine in a box in the back cabin) you are hard pushed to store 5Lt of oil in the engine bay, let alone reach in to do a service. 

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

From the none trad, trads I have seen (engine in a box in the back cabin) you are hard pushed to store 5Lt of oil in the engine bay, let alone reach in to do a service. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

This boat for sale is a trad but where is the engine Norton Canes 60 Tug for sale UK, Norton Canes boats for sale, Norton Canes used boat sales, Norton Canes Narrow Boats For Sale 60ft Norton Canes Tug Style Narrowboat - Apollo Duck

do not think you will store much in there, maybe a stubby screwdriver

Where is it, I didn't spot it

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That was what put me off a very nice trad when we were buying. The cruiser stern boat we ended up with has most things readily accessible (although changing the domestic alternator drive belt is a faff). 

• Greenie 1

My father use to have a cruiser stern but saw the error of his ways when he had a job to do on the exhaust which involved undoing 4 bolts. Needless to say the 4th bottom bolt would not come undone so he had to hacksaw it off. Lying on the deck with the floor supports on his chest resulted in him having a cracked rib.

27 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That was what put me off a very nice trad when we were buying. The cruiser stern boat we ended up with has most things readily accessible (although changing the domestic alternator drive belt is a faff). 

That was one of the selling points of our boat (semi-trad). Can get into the engine bay and sit on a stool either side of the engine (should the urge occur!).....

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

This boat for sale is a trad but where is the engine Norton Canes 60 Tug for sale UK, Norton Canes boats for sale, Norton Canes used boat sales, Norton Canes Narrow Boats For Sale 60ft Norton Canes Tug Style Narrowboat - Apollo Duck

do not think you will store much in there, maybe a stubby screwdriver

I too took a while to work it out, it seemed weird to have speedwheel and push/pull controls. On one of the pictures you can see the very short shaft disappearing above the drop down table so presume it is lurking beneath the crumb drawer and bed. Funny how bored one can be!